Who to root for in the EPL?

DGivens87

With the English Premier League season starting later this month, I'm kind of a crossroads as far as who to root for. I read Bill Simmons' article asking readers to help him pick an EPL club to root for. In a similar vein, I ask you, my fellow CCSLC bretheren, to help me do the same as well, with some caveats -

1. I'm partial to teams/clubs that wear red, white and blue (see: Patriots, Red Sox, Revolution are my favorite teams)

2. The first EPL team I ever read about was Manchester United, but I heard EVERYONE roots for them.

3. With this being a sports logos board, the team has to have some nice jerseys if I'm gonna rock one.

4. They don't have to have an American on the squad, but it would be preferable.

5. I don't have satellite, but Fox Sports Net does broadcast (from what I've heard) EPL games during the season. Which teams get the most coverage here when it comes to these broadcasts?

Your help is much appreciated, and if you wanna call me out for being such loser in asking help to pick a club to root for, feel free to do so.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't suggest Simmons method for picking a team. I believe you can't just arbitrarily choose a team like that.

What I do suggest is that you watch as many EPL games as possible this year, and pick a team based that you like, and stick with them for the rest of your life.

Pick a team based on the name, the kits, the grounds, the fans, the history, the facts, and not necessarily on success.

1) Only Portsmouth really come close here

2) It's like supporting the Yankees!

3)Arsenal,Manchester City,Newcastle United,West Ham United

4)Fulham perhaps

5)Probably Man Utd,Arsenal,Liverpool ,Chelsea

TheNation has the right idea - fInd a bar where Brits watch games and take it from there.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

As a fellow New Englander (born in New Bedford, raised in Taunton, educated at UMass-Amherst, lived in Boston for nine years, got my start in comedy in Providence), I'd encourage you to pledge yourself to Newcastle United.

Newcastle United attracts the support of fans from all social backgrounds in the Newcastle upon Tyne area, though there is a decidedly "blue-collar" feel to the stereotypical depiction of a member of the "Toon Army".

Newcastle United's top rivals are Sunderland and Middlesbrough, with matches against the former being the more intense battles. In fact, Newcastle supporters often say that the Newcastle-Middlesbrough rivalry is taken far more seriously by Middlesbrough fans.

Newcastle United's home stadium since 1891 has been St. James' Park (52,387 capacity). It received periodic expansions over the years, but underwent it's most radical renovations under the stewardship of Sir John Hall, who took over the club in 1992. It is now boasts the third-highest seating capacity in all of England.

Two of the stadium's stands, the Sir John Hall Stand (commonly referred to as "the Leazes End") and the Milburn Stand, have two tiers of cantilever construction. The East Stand and the Newcastle Brown Ale Stand (commonly referred to as "the Gallowgate End") consist of a single tier. As a result, the stadium's unique look has sometimes been described as "lopsided". The Gallowgate End is home to Newcastle United's most "boisterous" supporters.

http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_stad...es_park&id=1026

Striker Alan Shearer is arguably the most revered player in Newcastle United's history. He holds the mark for most goals in Newcastle United club history (206), as well as the record for most goals in FA Premier League history (260). Having retired at the close of the 2005-2006 EPL season, Shearer now serves as Newcastle United's "Sporting Ambassador". He was capped 63 times as a member of the English National Team, scoring 30 goals for the side - tied for fifth on England's all-time scoring list. Queen Elizabeth appointed him a member of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2001, in recognition "for services to Association Football".

Currently, Newcastle United's highest profile player is arguably Michael Owen. Owen signed with the club in August of 2005, but has suffered a pair of serious injuries since doing so. In a December 2005 match against Tottenham Hotspur, Owen fractured a metatarsal bone in his foot. He didn't return to the pitch for Newcastle until an April 2006 match against Birmingham City. During England's group match against Sweden in the 2006 World Cup, Owen damaged the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. It is expected that Owen will miss the entirety of the 2006-2007 EPL season.

1) Newcastle United's 2006/07 Change Kit

163600_1.jpg

Granted, it's not going to be a long-term kit for the club, but it will at least ease you into Newcastle United fandom.

2) Not "EVERYONE" roots for Manchester United... just a lot of smug, self-absorbed front-runners. Well, not quite as many smug, self-absorbed front-runners now that Chelsea has siphoned some away. Suffice to say, you don't want to be seen as jumping on the Man United bandwagon.

3) You want to "rock" a nice jersey? Why not "Northern Rock" one?!?!?

163000_1.jpg

It's a classic kit, man.

4) There are no Americans on the club at the present time.

5) Fox Sports Net does a pretty good job of providing coverage of a variety of EPL teams throughout the season. If there's any slight bias, it would obviously be towards a given season's front-running clubs.

First Division / Premier League Champions: 1905, 1907, 1909, 1927

First Division / Premier League Runners-Up: 1996, 1997

Second Division / Division One Champions: 1965, 1993

Second Division / Division One Runners-Up: 1898, 1948

FA Cup Winners: 1910, 1924, 1932, 1951, 1952, 1955

FA Cup Finalists: 1905, 1906, 1908, 1911, 1974, 1998, 1999

League Cup Finalists: 1976

Inter-Cities Fair Cup Winners: 1969

Texaco Cup Winners: 1974, 1975

Anglo-Italian Cup Winners: 1973

UEFA Intertoto Cup Winners: 2006

UEFA Intertoto Cup Finalists: 2001

What someone else said. I got attached to Norwich while watching the 2004-05 EPL season. Of course, they're not in the EPL anymore... :cry: ...but I've stayed loyal.

But, of course, Thunder über alles.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't suggest Simmons method for picking a team. I believe you can't just arbitrarily choose a team like that.

What I do suggest is that you watch as many EPL games as possible this year, and pick a team based that you like, and stick with them for the rest of your life.

Pick a team based on the name, the kits, the grounds, the fans, the history, the facts, and not necessarily on success.

Exactly. Just watch a bunch of games and you'll become drawn to a team for some unexplained reason. How do you think I ended up a Leeds United fan the year they finished 17th? Let it just happen.

What happens if Simmons watches a bunch of Spurs games and realizes he doesn't like them? Can he change teams or will he just abandon the EPL altogether?

I had this same dilemna before last season began. I looked at all the EPL teams and nothing really seemed to stick, though my best buddy was a big Arsenal supporter and I do share his love for the Galaxy. Being proud of my English roots, I know my family is from the town of South Lopham in Norfolk, UK originally so when I found out there was a major team in Norwich City I jumped on board and I will never leave no matter how low their governing board drags them.

Again I'll kick and scream...if the FSC shows USL games, why not the Coca-Cola Championship League? I sure would love to watch my beloved Canaries every now and then, and it would give Americans more than just EPL teams to root for.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

And also, in choosing a team, surely personal heritage helps but do some research on the fans, the club's histories, their current run of things and watch their style of play. Do enough research on 20+ teams and one of them will surely start to attract your heart more than the others. Don't fight it, even if it is United, Spurs, Reds or Blues. The trendy thing would be to pick one of the top five and the cool thing would be to pick a lower level team or even lower division team. Forget what's cool or trendy and just go with your heart.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Yup, I have respect for North American fans, who stick with teams that have been relegated, bandwagon jumping in europe is a MAJOR taboo.....Johnny Damon would have been pelted with rocks, had he jumped ships from Man U to Arsenal. Wayne Rooney had a cell phone thrown at him at his first game back at Goodison, and Everton and Man U, aren't even big rivals.

What I'm trying to say is, pick a team not based on success, only pick the big 4 (Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea), if it naturally happens. Go with coolness over trendy. Simmons' method of choosing is totally flawed, what if he starts watching, and dislikes White Hart Lane, or dislikes the kits, or hates Robbie Keane, or the style of play?

So really, watch a helluvalotof games, and also don't be afraid to go into other leagues, like the Coca Cola league or even the Bundesliga or Ligue 1, La Liga, whatever.

All I'm trying to say is, DO NOT DO WHAT SIMMONS DID!!!

I agree with Naiton and BJSands. Just watch a bunch of EPL games and eventually a you'll start to like one of them. That's what I'm planning on doing with Serie A this season. If you get Fox Soccer Channel you can already start, they show alot of EPL classics right now (although I'll admit I'd much rather watch it live). I'm sure you've done this with American sports too. I'm an Orioles fan, but the past couple years I've been rooting for the Astros in the playoffs. Something about them I just liked. This method is probably the best way because you aren't "forcing" yourself to like a team.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

I was actually doing some googling on various teams and leagues, and so far, I have found an interest in Ipswich Town in the Coca Cola League. Now, I think I'll take to heart what many of you said: watch some EPL games and after awhile, you'll find a favorite team/player to root for.

Also, international shipping's EXPENSIVE lol. I was gonna pick up an Ipswich Town 2005 kit, and it was only 5.00 GBP, but international shipping was 15.00 GBP! ARGH!!!!

Are there any American and/or Canadian sites that sell EPL and/or Coca Cola League merchandise?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

I was actually doing some googling on various teams and leagues, and so far, I have found an interest in Ipswich Town in the Coca Cola League. Now, I think I'll take to heart what many of you said: watch some EPL games and after awhile, you'll find a favorite team/player to root for.

Also, international shipping's EXPENSIVE lol. I was gonna pick up an Ipswich Town 2005 kit, and it was only 5.00 GBP, but international shipping was 15.00 GBP! ARGH!!!!

Are there any American and/or Canadian sites that sell EPL and/or Coca Cola League merchandise?

I started out last year's EPL season in the same situation as you.

I picked Manchester City at first, for a couple reasons. Mainly, I loved their kits. Plus, there's something endearing about being an also-ran in a ManU dominated town. They're kinda like the Clippers, so I figured why not?

But as I watched the season progress and read-up on my English soccer history, I grew more attached to Arsenal. I felt guilty giving up allegiance to Man City, but it showed that the best way to pick your team is to be patient and let the team choose you.

I still allow myself to have a soft spot for Manchester City. I allow myself a little wiggleroom in the world of extreme fandom since I'm new to the game.

Good luck. It's a fun process.

I've been looking around eBay at jerseys. I haven't look for EPL jersyes, but I'm sure they have them. International shipping is still pretty high. However the price is still cheaper than what you will spend at the offcial shops.

I support Man Utd. (to sound all British) because I was fortunate enough to play in a soccer camp scrimmage with Bobby Charlton and attend a friendly (vs. Fluminense of Brazil) at Old Trafford during the camp. Reminding myself of that helps me to feel like less of a frontrunner.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

all i can say is blackburn rovers...

it's your choice, but i recommend blackburn rovers.

they wear shirts that are half white, and half blue... with red numbers, and a red road kit. that's red/white/blue :)

the keeper is brad friedel... american world cup hero.

they're a small town (about the size of duluth, georgia.), but they're one of the oldest and most traditional football clubs in england. founding member of the premiership, too, if i'm not mistaken. constant underdogs, with a cultish history.

almost packerlike.

it's a team that every time i've ever met another EPL fan in person, the conversation goes like this:

"oh... you're a blackburn rovers supporter?"

"yup"

"mmhmm...............why?"

they've also got one of the best young managers in football :)

brfcs.com - blackburn rovers football club supporters... great site.

check it out..

some people call rovers dirty, but those people are just pussies :hockeysmiley:

one more reason to support the blue and white army.... only a real man can pull off wearing a single red rose as his crest.

and you said ipswich interests you? well blackburn has a former ipswich striker... a big lug of a striker... albanian refugee from finland, of all places... by the name of sheki kuqi... even better, that's pronounced "chef key coochie"... coochie.

and his trademark goal celebration? this bastard can catch some air.

0,,10303~2810992,00.jpg

plus, we've got the turkish wonder, tugay... morten gamst pedersen... benni mccarty... the "axe-man" aaron mokoena...

we've also got a bitter bitter rivalry with the "dingles" of burnley... and several delightful songs that insult the claret and blue.

if you enjoy teams with an interesting history, you will enjoy blackburn rovers.

I would tend to agree that you shouldn't just pick a team and decide that is who you are rooting for. Doesn't seem right. Those kind of things just kind of happen organically.

I watch those EPL games from last season on FSC pretty often now, but I don't have a specific team I follow or have a rooting interest in for the upcoming season. To me, it just doesn't feel right to have support a team that plays in a place I have never lived.

Archived