COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2007

BloodAtFirstBite

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas already won the West Division of the SEC, so they were already going to Atlanta for face the Gators, this loss today destroyed any title hopes that they had.

As for the National Title picture...

It's now a four horse race for that shot against Ohio State in Glendale on the 8th.

USC and Notre Dame faces off this week and what is basically an elimination game with the winner getting what may be the clearest road to Glendale while the loser can kiss their hopes good bye.

If Notre Dame wins, they can rest for the bowl game. Things could go bad if the BCS feels that the Michigan loss would be a big enough loss as to eliminate the Irish the National Championsip contention.

If USC wins, then the Trojans still have to survive the dreaded crosstown rivalry game with UCLA the following week in order to get a possible shot.

Florida might have the easiest road with a weak Florida State team this week and Arkansas, who are now beatable, next week in Atlanta.

Of coure, there is the wild card: Michigan. The Wolverines are just hoping for all sorts of chaos to erupt over the next two weeks.

But Florida needed an Arkansas win to improve their SOS. Florida needs some help in the computer polls.

Florida, as it stands right now, is finished. NO matter what they do, they won't jump anybody because Arkansas lost, which hurt their SOS, and then they played Western Carolina, which destroyed their SOS. It's bad, and a damn shame, but Florida is being hurt not by their play, but by their "other factors".

So yeah, you say Michigan just wants chaos to erupt. The only chance that FLorida gets in is if everybody else implodes, and everyone forgets that Michigan nearly beat OSU, only losing by 3.

Does anyone else think that the Razorbacks answer at QB is Darren McFadden? I mean, if Pat White can do it, why can't Darren? He can't be worse than Casey Dick was right?

They should have stuck with Mustain, since he has the most experience in running their offense.

lol, I knew you'd be celebrating. But yeah, I agree. The slim chance that the Domers had of going to a BCS game is gone now. And now, as much as I hate it, USC is poised for a NC shot, supposing they beat UCLA.

I know you can't judge who is better between two teams by how they did against a certain team, but Michigan beat Notre Dame by more in South Bend than USC beat them by in Cali. Michigan scored more than USC against Notre Dame, and Michigan allowed less points than USC against Notre Dame. How does this game prove USC is better than Michigan? They shouldn't move ahead of them after this game, even if they had a harder schedule. I'm not saying USC shouldn't be ranked ahead of Michigan, (I do think that though), but why would this game be the one to do it when Michigan already beat Notre Dame? Also, there are talks of a Michigan - Notre Dame rematch in the Rose Bowl, but a Michigan - Ohio State rematch shouldn't happen? Michigan lost to Ohio state by 3 on the road, Notre Dame lost to Michigan by 26 at home. If a 3 point loss on the road isn't worthy of a rematch, why would a 26 point loss at home be?

MegatronSig2.jpg

I know you can't judge who is better between two teams by how they did against a certain team, but Michigan beat Notre Dame by more in South Bend than USC beat them by in Cali. Michigan scored more than USC against Notre Dame, and Michigan allowed less points than USC against Notre Dame. How does this game prove USC is better than Michigan? They shouldn't move ahead of them after this game, even if they had a harder schedule. I'm not saying USC shouldn't be ranked ahead of Michigan, (I do think that though), but why would this game be the one to do it when Michigan already beat Notre Dame? Also, there are talks of a Michigan - Notre Dame rematch in the Rose Bowl, but a Michigan - Ohio State rematch shouldn't happen? Michigan lost to Ohio state by 3 on the road, Notre Dame lost to Michigan by 26 at home. If a 3 point loss on the road isn't worthy of a rematch, why would a 26 point loss at home be?

One game doesn't determine who is more worthy, it's the entire schedule.

Look at their non-conference schedules. Both played Notre Dame, so take them out of the picture. Michigan played Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, and Ball State; USC played Arkansas and Nebraska. Which team had the more imposing non-conference schedule? (Just for another form of measurement, Michigan beat a lowly SEC opponent in Ann Arbor by 20 points, while USC beat the SEC West champion in Fayetteville by 36 points.)

Also, USC won their conference while Michigan did not. If both go 11-1, USC winning their conference should only benefit them.

Perhaps the voters will be convinced after this game -- Notre Dame shouldn't be in a BCS game. Take LSU, Michigan, Boise State, and Louisville as your at-larges, in no particular order.

I agree totally

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

One game doesn't determine who is more worthy, it's the entire schedule

Umm....yeah. I covered that in the very first sentence. Go back and read it again. Also, I wasn't really saying USC should not be ahead of Michigan, I am just saying it is weird that they will move ahead of them THIS week.

MegatronSig2.jpg

One game doesn't determine who is more worthy, it's the entire schedule

Umm....yeah. I covered that in the very first sentence. Go back and read it again. Also, I wasn't really saying USC should not be ahead of Michigan, I am just saying it is weird that they will move ahead of them THIS week.

Pistons.....Detroit.....Michigan....sorry. I assumed this was just another whiny complaint that Michigan deserves the rematch just because of losing by 3 points.

Michigan should really be ranked #4, behind USC and Florida, or at highest #3, before this week's games. The Coaches poll and Harris poll have USC at #2, and the BCS should have USC at #2 this week, since they beat highly-ranked ND and got help with Oregon State's record improving. USC needs either Nebraska or Arkansas (or possibly both) to win their game next week to solidify their computer rankings.

My hope now is that UCLA upsets USC and then Florida can go!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

My hope (and an unrealistic hope it is), is that UCLA beats USC and Arkansas beats Florida (sorry Mack), and Rutgers beats West Virginia. While that will probably mean a rematch, I would argue that Rutgers be in the title game. Assuming you can't have Boise St. in there because they are not in a BCS conference, Rutgers seems the next logical choice. If the preceding scenario happens, Rutgers will be the only BCS conference champion with only one loss. Seems that they could have a decent argument for it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

My hope (and an unrealistic hope it is), is that UCLA beats USC and Arkansas beats Florida (sorry Mack), and Rutgers beats West Virginia. While that will probably mean a rematch, I would argue that Rutgers be in the title game. Assuming you can't have Boise St. in there because they are not in a BCS conference, Rutgers seems the next logical choice. If the preceding scenario happens, Rutgers will be the only BCS conference champion with only one loss. Seems that they could have a decent argument for it.

So Rutgers would go ahead of Michigan. Geez, the insanity just gets worse and worse.

PopHeading-1.gif

Yeah Rutgers would go ahead of Michigan. They won their conference didn't they? If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't have a shot at the national championship. If college football did a playoff system of sorts, then an at-large team (i.e. Michigan) would beat said conference champions and would have a decent argument. But until then, Rutgers!

I tweet & tumble.

Yeah Rutgers would go ahead of Michigan. They won their conference didn't they? If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't have a shot at the national championship. If college football did a playoff system of sorts, then an at-large team (i.e. Michigan) would beat said conference champions and would have a decent argument. But until then, Rutgers!

Yea because Michigan wouldn't of won if they were in Rutgers conference. :rolleyes: Lets just put all of the best teams in the nation in one conference so we can make sure they will never play each other for the NC and all of the deserving conference winners can get a shot at the title.

Michigan lost to 12-0 Ohio. Rutgers lost to 7-12 Cincinnati. Rutgers goes! Sounds completely logical to me. :wacko:

So, forgetting Michigan could be the second best team in the nation, lets punish them because they are in the same conference as the undisputed #1 team? Gosh, I freaking hate Michigan, can't believe I have spent this much time defending them.

PopHeading-1.gif

Congrats to the Deacs! Hopefully the basketball team can experience the same relative success this year too!

I'm of the opinion that you should win your conference to have a shot at the title in the current college football system. Michigan isn't the best team in its conference but it could be the best team in the country? I know that is an oversimplification of you position, Squeaks, but I believe that is a valid point. Someone earlier posed the question of what if Michigan beats OSU in the championship game? What then? Just one and done? Or a third "tie-breaker" game. People have responded with the NFL example that the Super Bowl is sometimes a rematch of a regular season game so why should it be different in college football. In my opinion it should be different in college football because there is no playoff.

So the response went that every college game is a playoff game. Fine. Let's send Ohio St. and Boise St. They're the only ones unbeaten. But we apparently can't let the Broncos have a shot because they're too weak on paper and they play in the WAC.

Rutgers is a top team this year and the only reason why they aren't being considered as a one-loss team is because they are Rutgers. Even if they beat Cincinnati, they would still probably need help (as in a USC loss to UCLA). That is conjecture, but not too far from the truth I think.

I'm not denying that Michigan is a top team. Before the OSU game, I thought they could be number one. However, they lost that game. Therefore, they lost their shot. Rutgers may have lost to Cincinnati, but they also beat #3 Louisville. I think that should count for something. They also could beat a ranked West Virginia team (assuming they don't drop too far with their loss to USF). USC lost to Oregon St. Why doesn't that knock them out? Yes their wins were more decisive against their ranked opponents, I think it stems more from the the name on the uniform where they are compared to Rutgers.

I know my hope probably won't happen, but I believe that it is a legitimate stand and argument.

I tweet & tumble.

I agree. A team must be required to win a conference to have any shot at a national title game.

There's your Notre Dame bias again. Look obviously ND shouldn't play for the National Championship this year but to prevent them from ever just because they are an independent is ridiculous. I agree if you are a member of a conference you should have to win your conference championship (How can you be the best team in the country but not in your conference). However independents should still have a shot at the National Title as they could very well be the best team in the country.

I agree. A team must be required to win a conference to have any shot at a national title game.

There's your Notre Dame bias again. Look obviously ND shouldn't play for the National Championship this year but to prevent them from ever just because they are an independent is ridiculous. I agree if you are a member of a conference you should have to win your conference championship (How can you be the best team in the country but not in your conference). However independents should still have a shot at the National Title as they could very well be the best team in the country.

No bias here. I'm just being logical. Obviously, to be the best team in the country, you have to win your conference, yes? I mean, if Notre Dame was unbeaten this year, you'd still love to see that OSU/Florida national title game.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived