COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2007

BloodAtFirstBite

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if ESPN is gonna get fined over showing that "WEST F***IN VIRGINIA" T-shirt when they panned through the crowd?

I wouldn't think so since ESPN is cable. I don't think the FCC can fine them.

IF michigan gets a 2nd chance

and some how wins

do you think they there will be a split title this year?

Michigan BCS and OSU AP champs?

Since the press and pollsters seem to have a short term memory and can't remember anything past the previous week, no.

I wonder if ESPN is gonna get fined over showing that "WEST F***IN VIRGINIA" T-shirt when they panned through the crowd?

I wouldn't think so since ESPN is cable. I don't think the FCC can fine them.

Oh yea they can. Cable is still within FCC guidelines, it's just that they are allowed to do a little more. I doubt they will be fined though because it was unintentional and wasn't done by anyone related to the station. Pretty funny if you ask me though.

PopHeading-1.gif

I've heard a playoff system would do the following. There are apparently 15 "major" bowls during the bowl weeks. That would allow a 16 team playoff taking the month of December and concluding on New Year's Day. 16 teams would be divided among the 11 division 1A conference champions and the remaining 5 would be at-larges. You could use the BCS system to determine the 5 at-larges. I'm pretty sure that would include everyone with a reasonable claim to fight for the national championship.

The drawback (if any) is the length of the schedule. The national championship game will have two teams that will have played 15-16 games (11-12 regular season plus 4 playoff games). The question is can these kinds handle that long of a schedule? I'm not sure, but I think they could given the right coaching philosophies.

you do realize that all the other NCAA football divisions do this exact thing

Youngstown State (I-AA) 9-2 regular season,2-0 so far in the playoffs,if they when the championship 13-2 (15 total games) ,it works for everyone except Division IA?????,gimme a break,its the league presidents of the ACC,Big Ten & SEC,who keep coming up with excuses why a playoff wont work,Im not venting at YOU,Im venting thr BS system

buffalobillsys1.pngbills55ld3.pnglouisvillecardinalsdh5.png

fitchsigll6.png

I realize that the other divisions do the exact same thing. I want a 16-team playoff system. I know its feasible and its the only way for a true national champion. I'm just saying that you could argue against it because of the length of season (not that it's a very convincing argument).

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Here's a compromise idea... play the bowls like before the championship game was added, then choose the teams for the championship game. This way you'll get a de facto playoff, the bowls still count for something, the original bowl pairings (e.g. Pac-10 vs. Big 10 in the Rose Bowl) will be restored, and a majority of the time, you will in fact get the two best teams facing off for the title. Sure, the media hype period will be shortened, but the rightful teams will compete for the title.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't think that will necessarily fix the problem. It's definitely better than the current system. Polls could still disagree when it comes time to decide the #1 and #2 teams.

but in most cases it would be only a few spots off. not #1 on Poll A being #10 on Poll B.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Yes, but what about #2 in one poll and #3 in the other with a consensus number #1? How to resolve that?

i am more partial to the "paper, rock, sisscors" technique. but you could do the flip a coin method too. either way its about as accurate as the current way of doing things.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

So wait...now folks want to punish Michigan because the Big Ten doesn't have an official neutral site championship game (because the conference is too small for the NCAA to allow one).

What the :censored: is up with that?

I've honestly said this all along. I don't care if Michigan had their bleeping chance (some chance if it was played at Ohio State). They will give us IMO the best possible National Championship game and therefore they should play in the game.

IMO Florida will get smacked in a devastating rout. Where's the fun in that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't believe that the fact that the Big 10 doesn't have a championship game is at issue. The problem is that Michigan already lost to Ohio State. A team should have to win its conference to have a shot at the national title. Michigan didn't win its conference so no shot.

If Michigan is granted a rematch and they win, who's number #1? Michigan? Ohio State? Can you really say that with confidence? The only legitimate argument that one can posit to put Michigan in the title game is that they are indeed the true #2. Say that happens and they get the rematch and win. Does Michigan become #1 even though they have identical records and the same season series? Should there be a tie-breaker third game?

In football you play your opponent once in the year. One shot. Michigan had theirs and they lost. Tough luck for them. I have no problem keeping them out. Making the argument that Florida will get smoked is like saying that George Mason shouldn't have been allowed to go to the Final Four because they were going to lose. Games aren't played on paper. Florida is the only 1-loss BCS conference champion, therefore they should be #2 (since Boise State doesn't get any respect).

I tweet & tumble.

I don't believe that the fact that the Big 10 doesn't have a championship game is at issue. The problem is that Michigan already lost to Ohio State. A team should have to win its conference to have a shot at the national title. Michigan didn't win its conference so no shot.

If Michigan is granted a rematch and they win, who's number #1? Michigan? Ohio State? Can you really say that with confidence? The only legitimate argument that one can posit to put Michigan in the title game is that they are indeed the true #2. Say that happens and they get the rematch and win. Does Michigan become #1 even though they have identical records and the same season series? Should there be a tie-breaker third game?

In football you play your opponent once in the year. One shot. Michigan had theirs and they lost. Tough luck for them. I have no problem keeping them out. Making the argument that Florida will get smoked is like saying that George Mason shouldn't have been allowed to go to the Final Four because they were going to lose. Games aren't played on paper. Florida is the only 1-loss BCS conference champion, therefore they should be #2 (since Boise State doesn't get any respect).

The game was played at Ohio State. Real fair that... If the game had been played in Ann Arbor, then yes, a different team should play. Instead Michigan lost at OSU by a field goal. Essentially the two are evenly matched.

1. It is entirely possible for one Conference to have the TWO BEST teams in the country in one given season.

2. This year is one of those years.

3. The Big Ten is that Conference

4. The National Championship Game, in the absence of a playoff, should be between the TWO BEST teams in the country.

5. Florida gets props for winning the SEC and should now run off to the Sugar Bowl (I think that's where the SEC champ goes.)

I'm sure some of those vaunted past Conference Championship games have been rematches and I'm just as sure that some of them had different outcomes from the regular season games. So why, then, did they even play those games? I mean, if the one team lost in the regular season to the other, well they "had their chance" and there's no need for a Conference Championship under the same logic that we seem to be applying to the National Championship. So why then, did they have those matchups?

I'm just saying that the Second Best team in the country (Michigan) should get to play Ohio State in a neutral field setting.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Florida deserves to go. However, if Michigan goes, I'm not going to cry foul. They could very well be the second best team in the country. However, none of us know who is truly the second best team in the country, or even THE best. Sure Ohio State beat everyone they played, including the #2 team in the country on two occasions, but do any of us know how Ohio State would have fared against Florida's schedule? If Michigan played in the Pac-10, how well would they have done? If Rutgers played in the ACC, would they have been undefeated? Who knows? That's why they play the games, and as long as there is no playoff, all this :censored: is a crap shoot. A playoff solves the problem. I don't care how "watered down" it would make the regular season, it's about damn time for the NCAA Division I Football National Championship to be settled on the mother :censored:ing field like all of the other divisions!

ASIDE: I hate how people beat up on the computer component of the BCS because computers don't watch games, but have no problem with 168 people--most of whom completely lack objectivity and most of whom don't actually watch the games either--deciding? Computers don't have biases, conference loyalty, greed, grudges, etc. ever enter the equation. The computer's guess (and that's what it is, a GUESS) is as good those collective human voters' guess.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

rams80 - You bring up some interesting points, allow me to present a counter argument.

1. How much does home field matter? I'll allow that it may play a role, but does it play a deciding factor? Even in close games? If it does, I propose a new rule, lets "spot" the away team a few points (say a field goal) to make the playing field even. I don't really care that Michigan lost in Columbus. They had a valiant effort, but one that came up short. If home field does matter then we should forget about Glendale and have the game in Ann Arbor to make it truly fair.

2. Yes it is entirely possible for a conference to have the two best teams in the country. Yet that doesn't address my argument that a team should win its conference to have a shot at the national title.

3. Bringing it Greg's point, how do you know that Michigan is #2 or Ohio State is #1 for that matter? Record? Where's Boise State in this picture? It's all speculation.

4. Conference Rematches - Yes it's possible that they occur, but it is a different scenario. Those matchups are given because those teams were the best in their divisions. If we extrapolate that model to the national stage, the most natural way to align the divisions would be along conference lines (i.e Pac-10 division, Big Ten division, etc.) Michigan failed to win their "division" so no pass to the title game. Fine line? Maybe. But a valid one in my opinion.

Greg hit it right on the spot. The BCS is just another poll not really any better than the others. We don't know who's #1 or #2 for sure without a playoff. Lets cut the crap and realize that the BCS is a broken system.

I tweet & tumble.

Archived