Worst Ref Mistakes

fonz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This conversation starts with "Tuck" and ends with "Rule".

Another one that's gone unmentioned... 2000 NHL playoffs... John Leclair scores on Hasek through a hole in the side of the net, and to this day, the goal stands.

But the tuck rule wasn't a mistake by officials. The referee called it as he should've based on the the rules. :censored:ty rule? Yeah. But certainly not a mistake by the official.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't think the Tuck Rule is a :censored:ty rule it is a necessary rule. You need to determine at what point the QB's arm is no longer going forward in the rulebook at that is what the tuck rule does. The problem comes from it being magnified by replay much in the same way a pass is called incomplete upon replay because the smallest bit of the ball moved in the receivers arm. That said the rule is necessary and that's why the competition committee has not removed it. The result however is you get technicalities of the rule when it comes to the use of replay.

A huge one has to be the Packers-49ers playoff game where T.O. made the winning catch and cried on the sidelines. A few plays before, Jerry Rice caught a pass and clearly fumbled the ball away to Green Bay but was ruled down. No replay back then. Should have been Packers' ball and T.O. crying 'cause they lost the game. Instead, T.O.'s famous and the Pack goes home.

Ironically, Jerry Rice was involved in a similar play that nobody but Saints fans would ever remember. He caught a pass vs. the Saints in the Superdome and was running for a TD but started hot-dogging at about the 5-yard-line, holding the ball out in his hand. Well, on TV replays it was crystal clear that he dropped the ball at the 2 and it rolled out of the end zone. The nearest ref was behind him of course since no zebra's going to keep up with Jerry Rice in his prime so it must have looked like he was in when he dropped it. Ruling was a TD. (%*$(#* 49ers.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

A huge one has to be the Packers-49ers playoff game where T.O. made the winning catch and cried on the sidelines. A few plays before, Jerry Rice caught a pass and clearly fumbled the ball away to Green Bay but was ruled down. No replay back then. Should have been Packers' ball and T.O. crying 'cause they lost the game. Instead, T.O.'s famous and the Pack goes home.

Ironically, Jerry Rice was involved in a similar play that nobody but Saints fans would ever remember. He caught a pass vs. the Saints in the Superdome and was running for a TD but started hot-dogging at about the 5-yard-line, holding the ball out in his hand. Well, on TV replays it was crystal clear that he dropped the ball at the 2 and it rolled out of the end zone. The nearest ref was behind him of course since no zebra's going to keep up with Jerry Rice in his prime so it must have looked like he was in when he dropped it. Ruling was a TD. (%*$(#* 49ers.

Speaking of the 49ers...I think everyone knows where I'm gonna go with this, so I won't bother saying anything.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

I have to add the Nuggets/Lakers game a couple years ago. It was the end of the game and Melo was running out the clock. He takes a shot at the last minute and it CLEARLY grazes the rim and the ref blows a whistle for a 24 second violation. The ref looks and it wasn't a violation, so since it was an inadvertant whistle, the ref calls for a jump ball when Denver had the rebound off the missed shot. So the jump ball insues, of course Shaq gets the ball. Kobe ties the game and the Lakers win in overtime.

I remember Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals Kings/Lakers. Samaki Walker hit a 3 pointer at the end of the 1st half that shouldn't have count. The clock read 0:00 before it left his hands.

Take that 3 points away and Robert Horry's buzzer beater 3 is just another shot. Kings take a 3-1 lead in the series.

A huge one has to be the Packers-49ers playoff game where T.O. made the winning catch and cried on the sidelines.  A few plays before, Jerry Rice caught a pass and clearly fumbled the ball away to Green Bay but was ruled down.  No replay back then.  Should have been Packers' ball and T.O. crying 'cause they lost the game.  Instead, T.O.'s famous and the Pack goes home.

Ironically, Jerry Rice was involved in a similar play that nobody but Saints fans would ever remember.  He caught a pass vs. the Saints in the Superdome and was running for a TD but started hot-dogging at about the 5-yard-line, holding the ball out in his hand.  Well, on TV replays it was crystal clear that he dropped the ball at the 2 and it rolled out of the end zone.  The nearest ref was behind him of course since no zebra's going to keep up with Jerry Rice in his prime so it must have looked like he was in when he dropped it.  Ruling was a TD.  (%*$(#* 49ers.

Speaking of the 49ers...I think everyone knows where I'm gonna go with this, so I won't bother saying anything.

Right, the no-call on the field goal pass play.

I'll add the no-call for offensive pass interference on Drew Pearson in the Cowboys-Vikings playoff game at Minnesota.

Maybe this question belongs in a thread of its own, but it seems to me that certain teams, like the 49ers during the Montana/Young "dynasty" years, always get calls their way. I've heard people say it about the Cowboys too, and of course Raiders fans feel the Patriots got at least the "tuck rule" call (though as previously posted, the refs made the right call under a questionable rule).

This could also apply to certain situations. Anybody who saw the last "out" (quotes intended) of the recent Marlins no-hitter could see that the runner was clearly safe.

I watch little baseball and no basketball or hockey so I can't speak to those sports, but what do you guys think? Do certain teams get the calls? If so, is it just human nature for refs to "go with the flow" when a particular team is dominant? Or am I imagining things?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

This still bures to this day..... but Kerry Fraser's non call for Wayne Gretzky's high stick on Doug Gilmore.

Plus Kerry working his magic again, game 3 Flames vs Tampa the phantom call to put the Flames down two men. Man, Mr. Fraser don't like the Canadian teams.

I guess the NHL in the same series, Game 6, The GOAL! But this is the same league that has a resent history of letting goals count when someone was in the crease without reviewing the play.

1972 Olympics is another example and it was quite deliberate as the US was robbed

How so? (Sorry, I wasn't around back then, lol)

The Soviet were given 3 chances to play the final 3 seconds with an inbound down 1. The first time the ref was "not ready" to begin the game. The second the clock started too fast they said. Then they get it in shove the American defender to the ground and score the winning basket.

http://sports.espn.go.com/classic/s/Classi...medal_hoop.html

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived