Jersey Wearing Rules

spyboy1

http://www.insidestl.com/stlsports/index.php?storyid=203

Here's another take on rules for wearing jerseys. Some you may agree with, some you may not, but overall it's a good take on one of our favortie topics.

The one I agree with the most is the no-tuck rule. Cripes that makes me nuts when I see dorks tuck their hockey jerseys in. :cursing: Perhaps this year is the year I start to confront people about it...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4.) Clever Names Aren?t Clever

When you take a jersey out into a stadium that is partially filled with beer drinking monkeys, as any baseball stadium is, you?re bound to run into a tough crowd.  It?s precisely this reason that going the humorous route is not a good move when finishing your uniform. 

I gotta say that when I went to Cleveland earlier this year, and saw a #80 Browns jersey with "Soldier" instead of "Winslow" on the back, I laughed histerically. I wouldn't do this myself, but that was a rare "nickname" jersey I got a kick out of.

But overall, I wholeheartedly agree with this guy's list. It should be posted at the entrance of every major sporting venue, IMO.

I say we need to canonize those into Man Law, along with a couple more additions:

-Jerseys can be worn anytime in the comfort of your own home; however, out in public, it is ideal (if not mandatory) to only wear a jersey on a gameday and, of course, preferably on the way to or from the game.

-non-traditionally colored jerseys are for poseurs or women - for example, I've seen white and pink Ducks jerseys for girls; that's acceptable. Other forms of 'fashion jerseys', unless you happen to be in a rap video, are not quite as acceptable.

-the 'retro' rule stated in the link above is null and void for basketball due to the throwback-heavy nature in the modern NBA.

harperdc.gif

I violate two rules...sometimes. One of the jerseys I own is an authentic Miami Dolphins aqua jersey that my father got for me for a gift. He had my last name and my high school number sewn on it, AND it was originally a player issue from who knows. Therefore it has a tigher fit, and it's really long! When I wear it I have to tuck it in or it's a really snug dress on me...AND it has my name on it. What do I do with it?

Oh, and is it safe to wear my authentic Gary Sheffield Florida Marlins jersey yet?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Some of them I agree with, like the "cool number" one. People are idiots who purposely wear "69." It's old, and it's lame.

As for ones I think are dead wrong. I don't see a problem with replica jerseys. In fact, I personally think people who drop 100's on something that looks no different than a replica (and I suppose I'm talking hockey here) are just plain stupid. I'm sure you won't be sitting at the arena with a guy staring at you and heckling "you moron, that's not real, you're a loser." The other one I disagree with is putting your own last name on a jersey. I've never had a problem with that, in fact all the hockey jerseys I own have my name and # on the back. I'd rather have a jersey that can be worn for a lifetime than wear a jersey of a guy who one day might be playing for your teams rival. Eric Lindros for example.

I don't see a problem with replica jerseys. In fact, I personally think people who drop 100's on something that looks no different than a replica (and I suppose I'm talking hockey here) are just plain stupid. I'm sure you won't be sitting at the arena with a guy staring at you and heckling "you moron, that's not real, you're a loser." The other one I disagree with is putting your own last name on a jersey. I've never had a problem with that, in fact all the hockey jerseys I own have my name and # on the back. I'd rather have a jersey that can be worn for a lifetime than wear a jersey of a guy who one day might be playing for your teams rival. Eric Lindros for example.

He wasn't talking about replicas that look just like the real thing, he meant ones that don't look right...for example, take a look anywhere in NYC and you'll see Yankee jerseys with names on the back and the wrong number font. That's the type of thing he's talking about.

As for your own last name on a jersey, you are obviously the guy he was talking about. :)

I'm waitin on a Leafs jersey that says #67 AND COUNTING.

I agree with most of these rules. I don't have a baseball jersey, but I would follow the rules if I did have one. It's just common sense really.

I've actually never bought a jersey for just some of those reasons. Most importantly, the "what happens when my guy gets traded/leaves/retires?" I would get a blank one, maybe, but that doesn't look right with a lot of jersey designs.

I think, if I were to get one, it would be a throwback, with a hall of fame player on it.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I don't see a problem with replica jerseys. In fact, I personally think people who drop 100's on something that looks no different than a replica (and I suppose I'm talking hockey here) are just plain stupid. I'm sure you won't be sitting at the arena with a guy staring at you and heckling "you moron, that's not real, you're a loser." The other one I disagree with is putting your own last name on a jersey. I've never had a problem with that, in fact all the hockey jerseys I own have my name and # on the back. I'd rather have a jersey that can be worn for a lifetime than wear a jersey of a guy who one day might be playing for your teams rival. Eric Lindros for example.

He wasn't talking about replicas that look just like the real thing, he meant ones that don't look right...for example, take a look anywhere in NYC and you'll see Yankee jerseys with names on the back and the wrong number font. That's the type of thing he's talking about.

As for your own last name on a jersey, you are obviously the guy he was talking about. :)

You should include people wearing fake Mitchell & Ness jerseys. I love how these kids, especially those urban kids, who think they are exclusive.

JR5

NikeTalk.gif

Well if that's the case, I can understand where that is coming from. I've seen some pretty awful combos when it comes to wrong numbers/letters on jerseys.

As for the own name on jerseys, different strokes for different folks. Personally I'd rather not put out $125 for a "insert name here" jersey only to find out two years later he's now on a team I hate and I'm stuck with his jersey.

I enjoyed that column. He's right on most counts.

At a Reds game earlier this year, I sat next to a guy wearing on Ozzie Guillen jersey with World Series 05 patch. It was pretty nice. To me, that's a great way to preserve an important moment in your team's history and not look like a jerk when Guillen is finally fired -- that patch makes all the difference.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I gotta say that when I went to Cleveland earlier this year, and saw a #80 Browns jersey with "Soldier" instead of "Winslow" on the back, I laughed histerically. I wouldn't do this myself, but that was a rare "nickname" jersey I got a kick out of.

He shoulda had it say "SHRUB" instead.

1zgyd8w.jpg

As for the own name on jerseys, different strokes for different folks. Personally I'd rather not put out $125 for a "insert name here" jersey only to find out two years later he's now on a team I hate and I'm stuck with his jersey.

it's definitely different strokes for different folks, but I like to think of it as memorializing a generation or championsihp year. I've got a nameless #33 Oregon Ducks basketball jersey (*shakes fist at nameless college jerseys*) which I don't mind that much because Luke Jackson was an important part of us climbing back out of the gutter for basketball.

harperdc.gif

I like most of those rules, however I think putting your own last name on a jersey is acceptable many times, especially if you played that sport in HS/College or whatever.

I do break a couple rules though. 1. I wear my jerseys all the time, doesn't matter if there's a game going on or not, weither it's football season, hockey/basketball season or baseball season, I wear them year round. 2. I own a 1995 Authentic Wilson Denver Broncos jersey with the #21 & SANDERS on the back. $20 to whoever can figure out who that is and why I put it on a Broncos jersey.

Archived