Helmet question

AmazinLary

With the Oregon helmet news, I was wondering if there were any helmets where the main logo isn't placed on the sides? The ones I can think of are/were Cincinnati Bengals, the Iowa Barnstormers and Memphis Pharohs of the AFL, and the Wisconsin throwback from either this year or the last. I know Michigan is a little along those lines, but I always thought it was just mimicking the old leather helmets. Any help?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Oregon helmet news, I was wondering if there were any helmets where the main logo isn't placed on the sides? The ones I can think of are/were Cincinnati Bengals, the Iowa Barnstormers and Memphis Pharohs of the AFL, and the Wisconsin throwback from either this year or the last. I know Michigan is a little along those lines, but I always thought it was just mimicking the old leather helmets. Any help?

Toronto Phantoms of the AFL (defunct)

Quad Cities Steamwheelers of af2

Montreal Allouettes circa 1974

I think there was a team in the WFL that had a 'front of helmet' logo, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

It's where I sit.

dartmouth3small.jpg

From Helmet Project:

During the very early 1960s, Indiana used light-colored helmets with players' numerals on the sides, and an interlocking "IU" logo at both the fronts and backs of the helmets; this is apparently one of the earlier instances of a college team using something other than just stripes and numerals on its football helmets.

And old Miami U. helmet:

miami.gif

fade.gif

I really wish that an NFL team would take the chance and put a logo or design element on the front of it's helmet. I love the look of some of the teams that people posted on the board. My favorite hands down, were the Iowa Barnstormers of the AFL. Their look was classic and well done.

I think there was a team in the WFL that had a 'front of helmet' logo, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

That'd be the San Antonio Wings.

I'd count the Albany Firebirds of the Arena League whose logo was basically placed on top of the helmet and came down the sides.

The Redskins helmets that had the feather stripe in the 60's I think would count here.

Yes, these...

9.jpg

And what about - can you believe this? - the San Diego Chargers, going all out back in the early 60's to support their Chamber of Commerce after San Diego was designated an "All-American City." Talk about a lousy idea!

lance1.jpg

Images are from the excellent helmethut.com.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Redskins helmets that had the feather stripe in the 60's I think would count here.

Yes, these...

9.jpg

And what about - can you believe this? - the San Diego Chargers, going all out back in the early 60's to support their Chamber of Commerce after San Diego was designated an "All-American City." Talk about a lousy idea!

lance1.jpg

Images are from the excellent helmethut.com.

And considering that most of the cities that win the All-America City award tend to just plain suck, it's not something I'd want to help my city play up.

I say that because I lived in Green Bay when they won the award in 1999 and thought "if THIS is what American cities are supposed to strive to be, maybe I should move to Canada."

7 years later I live on the border :flagcanada:

brew.png

Archived