Gary Bettman's coming to town

spyboy1

I have tickets to the Wild game vs. Florida this Thursday the 8th and had already made a sign to bring to the game to protest the stupid NHL schedule which we all just hate here in Minnesota.

None of our division opponents are even in our time zone and we won't even have a shot at seeing Sydney Crosby until perhaps sometime in 2008.

Here's the sign I made.

SYDNEY.png

Now I read in the paper that Gary Bettman is scheduled to attend the game that night! :hockeysmiley:

All I have to do now is figure out what suite the little rat is going to be sitting in so I can give him a good look at it. And here I was bummed because it wasn't going to be a national TV game.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Great idea...the only problem I see is that Crosby's first name is spelled "Sidney".

Wave to that little weasel Bettman for me....remember to use only one finger!

Well as long as I have to redo it, I think I may change it to "Who's Sidney?"

Which is better?

"Sidney who?" or "Who's Sidney?"

I suppose I could always do "Who's Crosby?" or "Crosby who?"

I'm interested to see if you guys favor one strongly.

Jeff

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I vote for "Sidney Who?"

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I vote for "Sidney Who?"

Agreed.

Also, make sure the exclamation marks have definition, and use one ("!") or three ("!!!") - never two.

Chances are slim the message will get across, but I'm sure it'll feel good to at least send the message in the first place. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Make the sign huge. Like, 6' x 4' huge. Have it made so it folds into thirds, and when you display it, stand in an aisle so as not to piss off those paying to see the game.

It's all done and revised. Sidney spelled right, three exclamation points and it is 2' x 3' and folds into quarters, making it 12 x 18 inches for portability.

Bettman, I'm coming for you!

HansonsSig.jpg

why do fans in the west complain about scheduling all the time? I like seeing the Islanders play the Devils and Rangers 8 times

What a silly question.

The big young NHL's marketable stars = Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and so on...

Western fans see Crosby/Malkin once every three years, which means by the time Crosby enters his 11th season, and is in his 30s, he would have only played in a city like Detroit or Los Angeles or Vancouver three times... is this the NHL or the World Cup of Soccer... know what i'm sayin yet, yo?

What if I'm a Red Wings fan livin in Toronto? Three games a decade for me! While in that same timespan we host a team like Boston forty times.

2005/06 - 2014/15: Boston at Toronto, 40 times

2005/06 - 2014/15: Detroit at Toronto, 3 times

Or even forgetting about the rivalries they're trying to promote, how about this stupidness...

2005/06 - 2014/15: Florida at Toronto, 20 times

2005/06 - 2014/15: Vancouver at Toronto, 3 times

Need I go on?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

What if I'm a Red Wings fan livin in Toronto? Three games a decade for me! While in that same timespan we host a team like Boston forty times.

Exactly. I'm a Wings fan living closest to Philly as far as NHL markets go. I get to see the Wings for the very first time ever on Monday vs. the Flyers. If I want to see them again, I have to wait 2 or 3 years or go elsewhere, where the next-closest NHL arena is at least 3 hours away.

Plus, with Flyers tickets absolutely ridiculously priced, so it's not like I can catch more than a few games per season, being that I don't have a job during the school year(Monday'll be my second Flyers beating of the year [i saw the Devils on Feb. 1st], with hopefully a trip to Pittsburgh for the season finale).

I think before they fix the scheduling, they've gotta have a better TV contract. It's not that I dislike Versus, but more that I dislike what games are televised each week. I've had my Rangers, Avs, Stars, and Pens fill for the season. Don't get me started about the Flyers, although it's nice to see them lose every game.

But fans in the West get Joe Thornton, Jonathan Cheechoo, Niklas Lindstrom, Paul Kariya, and Jarome Inginla thats not bad.

See...here's the thing...the NHL ain't trying to market them...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But fans in the West get Joe Thornton, Jonathan Cheechoo, Niklas Lindstrom, Paul Kariya, and Jarome Inginla thats not bad.

And the East don't.

Why not?

Why do I have to see the Leafs play Saku Koivu (nothing wrong with him, mind you) 80 times a decade yet only get to see the Leafs play a guy like Thornton, for example, 6 times in that exact same span?

The NHL is not MLB, they're basically trying to turn the NHL into leagues with occasional "inter-league" play.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

That is why Bettman is a failure

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well I went to the game with my sign and displayed it prominently between the first and second periods in full view of the TV cameras and the private suites, so hopefully I got a bit of TV time or at least Bettman saw it.

Bettman did several radio interviews today and one in particular asked him some pretty pointed questions about realignment and scheduling.

He at least seems to sound like he's aware that there are some things that need fixing and said that they want to fix everything right and fix it once, and changing the schedule now still won't get the Wild in a division with Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Dallas.

I certainly would have countered with the fact that it would at least get the Eastern teams in here sooner rather than later, but they weren't taking calls for the brief time he was one.

Aside from the scheduling imbalance, it's just bizarre that the Wild or Dallas don't have a single division opponent in their own time zone. That's just wrong and perhaps something some fans and owners in the East just don't or can't appreciate as a huge problem for other teams.

One story, from the game tonight. This girl (sitting in some prime-time expensive seats) asks me what my sign says and what it's about. I explain that the teams from the East don't come here often enough and I would like it changed. Then she asks me "Who's Sidney?".

"He's the best player in the league, and he's never even been here," I explain.

This I think, proves the point I was trying to make. He's the best player in the league for the forseeable future, and we have people here who don't even know who he is! A big part of that is because he's not coming here once a year and generating a buzz.

HansonsSig.jpg

They're apparently not trying to market Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin either... :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

This I think, proves the point I was trying to make. He's the best player in the league for the forseeable future, and we have people here who don't even know who he is! A big part of that is because he's not coming here once a year and generating a buzz.

Of course under the old schedule a team wasn't guaranteed to come into a city every year and it was possible to go more than 3 years without going to a particular city.

Archived