Two name teams

spyboy1

Minor League hockey is chock full of this kind of stuff. Take, for example, my hometown team: the Pensacola Ice Pilots. (And in the ECHL and every other lower-level hockey league, it won't be hard to find a Ice-whatever moniker.)

But somehow I get the feeling you're wanting to stick to the lines of something like "Runnin' Rebels", "Fighting Irish", "Fighting Illini", and the like (usn't North Dakota the "Fighting Sioux"?)

Speaking of "fighting" monikers, how about Troy Aikman's high school alma mater: Henryetta Fightin' Hens? (I believe that it's now changed to Knights.)

Favorites? Marshall Thundering Herd, North Texas Mean Green (one time for rhyme!).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so interested in things like Blue Jays or Maple Leafs as much as I am the kind where the first word is more of an action or verb.

Thanks for your, uh, many contributions to this thread. Now let's all review the meaning of the word "verb".

"The part of speech that expresses action"

For example Fighting, Thundering & Running.

(**) Gold stars (**) to all of you who understood that part of my post and contributed. You know who you are.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Marycrest International University Marauding Eagles

Centre College Praying Colonels

Penn State University-Fayette Roaring Lions

Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs

Life University Running Eagles

Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles

Elmira College Soaring Eagles

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Two local high school teams...

Vineland -- FIGHTING CLAN

Lower Cape May Regional -- CAPER TIGERS

The Fighting Clan?! How have the PC police not jumped all over that one???

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Georgia Tech Wramblin' Wreck

Georgia Tech's nickname is the Yellow Jackets.

"Wramblin' Wreck" refers to their football team after yet another defeat at the hands of Georgia.....

1) It's "Ramblin' Wreck"

2) Reggie is gone, so that might make those loses become less common. Er...crap, Gailey is still there...nevermind...

I'll bring up an obscure one here. I went to a rugby match last week in Atlanta that had the Life University Running Eagles.

Is that THE Life College with that Sid guy? "Do it now, Do it today..."

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Two local high school teams...

Vineland -- FIGHTING CLAN

Lower Cape May Regional -- CAPER TIGERS

The Fighting Clan?! How have the PC police not jumped all over that one???
Simple. Because it's not Clan as in Klan.

Actually, the original nickname for Vineland High was the "Poultry Clan", as Vineland used to be the poultry capital of the United States. The mascot is known as the Rowdy Rooster.

I don't know when they changed it from Poultry Clan to Fighting Clan, but the Rooster remains. Thankfully, the formerly hideous football uniforms do not -- gray jerseys with white numbers and red outlines.

LvZYtbZ.png

Ask any Portland fan (a good one) and he'll tell you Winter Hawks is two words.

Got that right, brutha! :D And for good measure, let us not forget the Portland Forest Dragons. Yes, it's a horrible name, but it meets the criteria.

<<<---- and , uhh, the Trail Blazers! ?! ?!? !!??! ?!? !?? !

Isn't North Texas the "Mean Green"?

Yep.. my alma mater.. And a few miles south, a high school has a pretty amusing nickname.. The Lewisville 'Fighting Farmers'

Can't believe somebody stole my thunder on the Fighting Farmers. My daughters attended Lewisville and Farmer Football has to be seen to be believed. Great spirit there as in many Texas high school programs. Great fight song too.

Don't think anyone mentioned the LSU Fighting Tigers. I'm not sure that's the official team name, but they do have a 2-word nickname, the Bayou Bengals.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived