"Baltimore" on Orioles Road Jerseys?

fufkin

If this has already been discussed, I apologize.

I was watching MASN (the new cable network for the Orioles) today and saw Mike Flanagan being interviewed. The set had home, road and alt jerseys hanging in the background. All three jerseys had the Majestic logo. The script on the home uniform was changed from orange back to black. The alt jersey was black with black block letters outlined in orange across the chest reading "Baltimore." The road jersey was grey with black script spelling "Baltimore" with the player number on the front underneath. Each jersey had the cartoon oriole bird on the sleeve.

Are these the real deal?

I think those have been hanging around in the background of that show for many years now.

Interesting, since MASN is now an arm of the Orioles, and Angelos still has his rule that the word "Baltimore" is to appear nowhere in the stadium, or in any television broadcast.

The logic of Peter Angelos:

If his baseball team makes an open display of the fact that it is from Baltimore, no one outside the Baltimore city limits will ever attend or watch an Orioles game again. Nor will they continue to buy Orioles merchandise, viewing such an act as a privilege reserved for Baltimore residents, and thusly seeing themselves as outsiders, unwelcome by the Orioles organization.

It's this sort of genius that has made the Orioles what they are today.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The logic of Peter Angelos:

If his baseball team makes an open display of the fact that it is from Baltimore, no one outside the Baltimore city limits will ever attend or watch an Orioles game again. Nor will they continue to buy Orioles merchandise, viewing such an act as a privilege reserved for Baltimore residents, and thusly seeing themselves as outsiders, unwelcome by the Orioles organization.

It's this sort of genius that has made the Orioles what they are today.

It's okay. Angelos is in good company. Al Davis employs the same logic with the Oakland Raiders.

(sarcasm intended)

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

If this has already been discussed, I apologize.

I was watching MASN (the new cable network for the Orioles) today and saw Mike Flanagan being interviewed. The set had home, road and alt jerseys hanging in the background. All three jerseys had the Majestic logo. The script on the home uniform was changed from orange back to black. The alt jersey was black with black block letters outlined in orange across the chest reading "Baltimore." The road jersey was grey with black script spelling "Baltimore" with the player number on the front underneath. Each jersey had the cartoon oriole bird on the sleeve.

Are these the real deal?

Yea i live in Baltimore the last 2 years...I know exactly what ur talking bout with the "Baltimore" jersey. That has been hanging their since last season and I believe the season before that on the show. Its a good looking jersey and I thought the Orioles should have wore them, but they are sticking to the road jersey they are wearing now. That jersey is there just for display.

and Angelos still has his rule that the word "Baltimore" is to appear nowhere in the stadium, or in any television broadcast.

Angelos did recently say that he may put "Baltimore" back on the road jerseys. He made the comment after the fan protest. He said something about it being a reasonable request (and apparently its unreasonable to have cheap tickets and a competitive team). So I guess we will see if he will do anything about it. I would think that he would change at least after the Nationals have been in Washington for a few years. Because as Sodboy13 pointed out the Mid-Atlantic Orioles can't alienate any of their fans. If he sees that people in VA and NC are still Orioles fans with the Nats in towm, maybe he will change his mind.

and Angelos still has his rule that the word "Baltimore" is to appear nowhere in the stadium, or in any television broadcast.

Angelos did recently say that he may put "Baltimore" back on the road jerseys. He made the comment after the fan protest. He said something about it being a reasonable request (and apparently its unreasonable to have cheap tickets and a competitive team).

I think you may be reading too much into Angelos saying that it is a "reasonable request." I took it to mean just that -- that he does not think it is an unreasonable thing to ask for. Maybe Angelos will prove me wrong, but I didn't take it to mean that he is giving any kind of serious thought to doing it.

To be honest, I don't think this would be a big issue in a vacuum. I know I don't get too worked up about it. However, in light of all of the fans who do think it is a big deal, I would think this would be an incredibly small, simple way for Angelos to tell the loyal fans that he cares about what they think (and meanwhile sell more merchandise because a lot of fans would run out to buy the new jersey).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think you may be reading too much into Angelos saying that it is a "reasonable request." I took it to mean just that -- that he does not think it is an unreasonable thing to ask for. Maybe Angelos will prove me wrong, but I didn't take it to mean that he is giving any kind of serious thought to doing it.

To be honest, I don't think this would be a big issue in a vacuum. I know I don't get too worked up about it. However, in light of all of the fans who do think it is a big deal, I would think this would be an incredibly small, simple way for Angelos to tell the loyal fans that he cares about what they think (and meanwhile sell more merchandise because a lot of fans would run out to buy the new jersey).

No, I wasn't reading too much into it. It was a small quote at the bottom of the article. I'm sure Angelos might have forgotten about it anyway. I just thought I'd post that Angelos said it was a possibility (even if it is only 1%). Regardless I have to think that Baltimore will end up on the road jerseys. When listing complaints about Angelos, noting puting Baltimore on the road jerseys is always one of the complaints.

the old baltimore jerseys from the frank robinson days are classic, i loved them and thought that they give the people of baltimore something to represent them. angelos is basically the main reason i refuse to like the O's anymore even as an AL team. hes a joke.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I was listening to WNST (local sports talk radio, for you non-Baltimoreans) on the way to work this morning. Drew Forrester reported that, based on a "discreet phone call" he received from one of his "people" in the warehouse yesterday, no change would be made for 2008. He also reported that Mike Flanagan told him recently that serious discussions were being held on the topic, so at least some consideration is being given to the idea, assuming the Flanagan report is correct.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Angelos did recently say that he may put "Baltimore" back on the road jerseys. He made the comment after the fan protest. He said something about it being a reasonable request (and apparently its unreasonable to have cheap tickets and a competitive team). So I guess we will see if he will do anything about it. I would think that he would change at least after the Nationals have been in Washington for a few years. Because as Sodboy13 pointed out the Mid-Atlantic Orioles can't alienate any of their fans. If he sees that people in VA and NC are still Orioles fans with the Nats in towm, maybe he will change his mind.

live in most my life, dont find many O's fans around here. maybe more towards the northern boarder. but 9 out of 10 people that were born and lived here for most their lives are Braves fans. in the 3 different stores i worked at Cary, Durham and Fayetteville. none of those stores really got any O's gear or any Maryland area teams(maryland or Raven) and if we do its a pure fluke

and in my opinion, if he wanted to sell more gear, he'd change the boring bird watching association logo for a more cartoony look l ike they had in the past.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

and in my opinion, if he wanted to sell more gear, he'd change the boring bird watching association logo for a more cartoony look l ike they had in the past.

There has been some sentiment along those lines around here as well, but not very much. Personally, I have no problem with the cap logo even though I grew up with the cartoon bird (born 1967).

There has been some sentiment along those lines around here as well, but not very much. Personally, I have no problem with the cap logo even though I grew up with the cartoon bird (born 1967).

i know that MLB authentic caps arent that exciting but this has to be the has to be the most boring of them all.

I would put Baltimore on the Road jerseys. Of course, they should bring back the arched lettering on the names in the back of every uni. In addition, drop the goofy O's cap in favor of the 1963-65 B cap.

1963orioles.jpg

this cap? man they would officially have the worst hats in the league if they did that. both are very big yawners....puts me to sleep just thinking about it.

i really wish MLB would go out on limb and make their caps like the MILB and add a bit of flare to them. go away from Intials on ball caps and do something different.

i really wish MLB would go out on limb and make their caps like the MILB and add a bit of flare to them. go away from Intials on ball caps and do something different.

Oh, wow. I don't think I could possibly disagree with you any more.

you have to admit some of the MILB caps are really good. while some others are really bad. i just want to see more teams actual use their mascots as the hat logo like cleveland(presmurf blue small wahoo) instead of going with the city or team intials. i am not saying cites like Boston and New York ditch their respecitve hats, but may throw an alternate out there. like the BOSOX having a cap with the actual socks on it.

Archived