New MLB hat: Gone is 100% wool

paynomind

I have to admit, but I picked myself up one of the new Tigers BP caps while in Lakeland for a spring training game and have to admit that I live the cap. I have gotten over the yoke on the side of the cap, but other than that it is very comfortable and I do believe I'll be buying a new Rays one once the new logo/colors are unveiled in the Fall sometime.

I agree. The new BP hats feel nice. I just don't like the inserts at the side of the hat.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or did I see some of the Mets tonight were still sporting the old-5950's? I could've sworn Reyes had grey under his brim, and even Joe Smith making his MLB debut I think had the grey as well....am I crazy?

nope, not crazy. reyes was one of a few players that were wearing the wool (which i'm sure MLB loves since he was in the spike lee commercial for the new caps). it's weird reyes was wearing the old though, because he wore the new hat before it became uniform back in the playoffs last year. weird stuff.

sig2024.png

Hey, I'm noticing that there are some caps with black underbills.

Is it on all the MLB caps or on some of them?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Anyone discover any good ways to break these in and maybe reduce the crown a little bit? I'm assuming the old shower method won't work with the polyester material. I love my new Yanks cap but it's still a little tall on the vertical sides of the crown and I'm looking for ways to reduce it.

hey, Allentown PA! Thats where I am too. I'm not sure there is a way to reduce the crown on these (I got the Yanks too). I wish they would make the low crown version like they previously had for the wool version.

I just picked up my new Sox hat today at the opening day massacre, and it's friggin sweet. I was worried about the sizing, because I have long hair now that's soon comin off. But this bad boy fits great and feels like it still will after I get my ears lowered. And yes, $35 at the park is a little ridiculous, but I still give it an A+.

I got my Brewers cap over the weekend, and I have to admit that it's beautiful. The fit is good, and I love the black sweatband and underbill.

The material isn't exactly like wool (it has a different feel), but it looks a lot like the traditional wool.

I sure hope that low-profile versions are coming soon, though. Since the authentics can't be shrunk, there has to be a sizeable market for them.

I sure hope that low-profile versions are coming soon, though. Since the authentics can't be shrunk, there has to be a sizeable market for them.

See, I was hoping beyond hope that somehow the authentics would be at least a slightly lower crown than the old wool 5950's, though nothing out there would have given me that indication. I guess I'll hold off buying one, then, because I just can't stand to wear the crown high. It just feels wrong on my head. Maybe they will come out with a low crown version... or maybe they are using those strech-fit New Era MLB Ace caps that Lids sells as the de facto low crown versions of the officials (allowing them to put the new era logo on the side, because it's clearly NOT just a low crown version of the official). In which case I already have the one linked and the Indians home red bill versions... and my MLB cap buying for this season is already done.

I guess if I can find a store somewhere in Buffalo or Niagara Falls that sells the new official synthetic Indians caps, I'll try some on to compare... but finding my team is tough here, and I'm not about to go ordering these things sight-unseen from the ol' interweb tubes.

EDIT: D'uh... now that I read my own post, I guess it's time for me to remember that there's a New Era store in Buffalo, and that I should spend some extra time in town checking it out, rather than running back home to Canada after work.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

New Era are selling low profile for 13 teams straight from their website.

Hmm, not seeing one for my team. Are you sure they're just not old stock for those teams?

As for the mini-caps that Gothamite noticed... I saw those too last time I logged on there. I am guessing they're New Era's attempt to join the "mini-football helmet" and "mini-goalie mask" markets.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Nope, it's the new cap:

http://www.neweracap.com/eshophtml/eshop/p...amilyGroup=8373

Yankees Performance Headwear AC Low Crown Game Cap

Introducing the New Performance Headwear-Authentic Collection Low Crown Cap. This cap fits closer to the head than the regular 59FIFTY. The new high tech fabric has revolutionary wicking ability, superior drying, and is shrink resistant. Get your official on-field cap of Major League Baseball today.

The Indians aren't among the 13 teams, which is why you're not seeing them.

well poop.

*sigh*

I tried looking for a few teams (including the Dodgers, who were referenced above) but couldn't find any teams that had them. I guess I should have guessed "Yankees." Damn if that New Era online store hasn't gotten MORE impossible to navigate since it was revised.

indians4.png

-Terry Pluto

well poop.

*sigh*

I tried looking for a few teams (including the Dodgers, who were referenced above) but couldn't find any teams that had them. I guess I should have guessed "Yankees." Damn if that New Era online store hasn't gotten MORE impossible to navigate since it was revised.

They have the Dodgers caps.

http://www.neweracap.com/eshophtml/eshop/p...mp;pageNumber=5

You're right, though - it is terribly confusing. There's nothing on the main page to indicate that it's a low crown version of the cap - you have to click on one of the two authentic 50fifties and read the product description. :wacko:

I was hoping that once the new garbage polyester caps came out that the good wool caps would go on sale, but most of the stores here in the Phx area had to send all their wool caps back to New Era.

What a bunch of crap.

I wanted to pick up spare wool caps once they were marked down.

I am wondering how much difference there is in the polyester low-profile than the standard issue polyester 5950. How much higher the standard issue is than the low-profile ones are.

While I am not a fan of the surgery done on caps that turn them into yarmulkes or beanies with bills, I do like a cap that sits up a bit in front, but not as much as the standard issue 5950s.

Anyone discover any good ways to break these in and maybe reduce the crown a little bit? I'm assuming the old shower method won't work with the polyester material. I love my new Yanks cap but it's still a little tall on the vertical sides of the crown and I'm looking for ways to reduce it.

This was taught to me by a little lady in cooperstown and it worked on my new cap just like the old ones:

use a hair dryer to loosen up the adhesive on the crown. get it nice and soft, put the hat on and mold it to your liking, heating it here and there while on your head. it should dry in its new position.

Archived