New MLB hat: Gone is 100% wool

paynomind

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They stopped rounding again. My hats now run 57.7 - 58 - 57.7 in metric sizing. Or did they actually shave off those 3 mm?

Well, no more defending New Era from me. I tried on many, many caps today. I tried both 7-1/2, my normal size, and 7-3/8. I found some 7-1/2s that were tighter than an average 7-3/8s, and some 7-3/8s that were looser than the average 7-1/2s were. Logo stitching was very inconsistent. Lots of loose threads and stitching that didn't quite line up or run true.

The only thing worse than New Era's crappy QC is being between sizes. 7 1/4 can run tight on me (especially given their "attention" to sizing) but the 7 3/8 ones squashed my ears. I tried on a couple 1/4s until I found one that felt right. Some of them might have been off but there's no way they'd be off so much on a 3/8 to fit right; I definitely had to find a "big" 1/4 instead of a "small" 3/8. The clerk suggested cutting off the headband tags if it still felt tight after a while, anyone ever heard of this?

Also, only $30 at the Pro Image B)

1zgyd8w.jpg

Padres-navy with tan letters, but black outline instead of white. This is in addition to the version with white outlines. Not sure what they'll wear it with, but it looks friggin sweet and IMO should be their only hat.

EDIT: just a thought, could this maybe be their military-theme hat? The color is more faded and has some green in it...

1_640.jpg

I ordered one of these Padres alt green caps through Minor League and I received it today. It fit perfect, I honestly can't really tell the difference in feel. I'm going to wear it as much as possible the next month or so and see how it works out. So far so good though, I like the raised MLB logo in the back, and I can't really complain about the quality.

I just got the Cardinal World Series Champion hat. They definitely are smaller than the wool hats. I had to size up to 7 1/2, and even all of them don't fit the same. The first one I tried on fit perfect, but had a black mark on the side of it. I just picked up another and didn't try it on since it was the same size. It fits much tighter, but I'm sure it'll stretch.

The bills seem to be a plastic bill, instead of cardboard. I've been able to bend my bill much easier with my new hat than before.

I picked a Nats up at Lids yesterday, in my ususal size. I like that the Poly looks less coarse, and the raised embroidery logo is thankfully not so hyper-raised as my '05 Nats. I ran it through my usual drill - cut out buckram soak with cold water - but instead of wearing it, I let it hang dry. The crown even sans buckram held its absurd stiff faux bucket shape, but there was definitely some shrinkage in the perimeter - it fits tighter now. So "shrink resistant" they may be, but not shrink proof. As one who prefers the low crown or failing that buying oversize and shrinking the crown, these are of no use to me. Also very hard to curve the bill evenly. I looked at several and the QC looked much better versus past years.

A Macy's near me has wool 5950's half price ($15.) They were all bigger sizes though (7 7/8 and up.) I didn't even know Macy's sold baseball caps until yesterday.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A Macy's near me has wool 5950's half price ($15.) They were all bigger sizes though (7 7/8 and up.) I didn't even know Macy's sold baseball caps until yesterday.

Which Macy's? Not that it matters, as I don't have the cranium to fill out a 7 7/8.

The Macy's in Cherry Hill used to have a decent Phillies selection, but no other MLB teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I am mostly concerned about the fit of these new caps. I have a pretty good system for buying and breaking in the wool ones. I purposely buy them one size larger knowing it will shrink. Now I have no idea on the poly. I understand that the body of the cap is "shrink resistant", but what about the sweat band? It must surely tighten up a little when it gets wet. Also when I tried one on at the mall yesterday the buckram and bill felt much stiffer than the wool ones.

John

Which Macy's? Not that it matters, as I don't have the cranium to fill out a 7 7/8.

The Macy's in Cherry Hill used to have a decent Phillies selection, but no other MLB teams.

Center City (the old Wannamakers.)

They only had Phillies hats. The game cap, and the already-outdated "skyline" cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am mostly concerned about the fit of these new caps. I have a pretty good system for buying and breaking in the wool ones. I purposely buy them one size larger knowing it will shrink. Now I have no idea on the poly. I understand that the body of the cap is "shrink resistant", but what about the sweat band? It must surely tighten up a little when it gets wet. Also when I tried one on at the mall yesterday the buckram and bill felt much stiffer than the wool ones.

John

What I'm finding on my cap, the sweatband will shrink a bit, but the crown will not shrink or flex at all even after removing the buckram and soaking it.

In honor of opening day and tomorrow's (hopeful) recieving of my authentic Braves Andres Galarraga jersey, I bought a Braves hat in the new style today. Fits pretty well, I only have one other New Era to compare it to, but we'll see how it holds up. $31.99 though?! Yeesh.

And yeah, all the stores at my mall are selling the old ones for full price as well - but I expected it to be that way. A change in material isn't going to make a difference to most people...only the jersey/hat-specific stores like Pro Image, Fan Attic, Lids/HW, etc...are the ones that I expect to mark any down.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

aaah crap, I cracked the bill on this has hat trying to curve it. These are junk.

*snort*

Yeah, this is a one-year deal. Go back to natural fabric, please.

Actually, I feel better about them not marking down the 5950's cheaper at the mall. I found some extremely good deals on some hats online. I just bought me a Twins red alt from ParagonSports.com for $22.00 after shipping (they are running the wool 5950's on sale), and white pinstriped Red's hat on eBay for $15.00 after shipping, and (the best one) a new A's home hat for $9 after shipping. I'm going to wait for the Durham Bulls home hat to come in stock at MinorLeagues before I order from them. I'm hoping that the Braves game hat in my size (7 5/8) will still be in stock at that time.

I have to admit, but I picked myself up one of the new Tigers BP caps while in Lakeland for a spring training game and have to admit that I live the cap. I have gotten over the yoke on the side of the cap, but other than that it is very comfortable and I do believe I'll be buying a new Rays one once the new logo/colors are unveiled in the Fall sometime.

Archived