Oilers break out the vintage duds

officeglenn

Well, it was rumoured all year, and it finally happened. The Edmonton Oilers broke out the royal-blue-and-orange vintage duds tonight for Mark Messier's jersey retirement.

I saw all the Oilers players were wearing blue #11 vintage jerseys during the warmup, but when they came out for the game, they had their own names and numbers. The jerseys, the pants, the socks, the helmets ... everything.

It looks good by me. Maybe not an everyday thing, but definitely a nice little treat every once in a while.

Sorry, no pics yet. The ceremony isn't even finished yet as I am typing this.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And in other news, Mark Messier cries.

Actually, that's not news. It's just Tuesday.

He cried during the jersey retirement ceremony. He cried earlier in the day at a ceremony in St. Albert.

He cried when the waiter at Tony Roma's brought him mashed potatoes instead of a baked potato. :D

That vintage Oilers jersey should be made the official home (or will tat be road jersey?) for sure.. dont get me wrong, but the current Oilers jersey they have is fine ... I would love to see that vintage jersey come back for good....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

They looked sharp. It was a nice change. I'd love it as an alt. All teams should have a retro third, and if a club isn't old enough for a vintage sweater, then they don't get a third.

Also:

Rexall changed their logos to Rexa11 for the night. The boards, mics, etc all were modified.

In 1990 Edmonton was wearing the road jersey which is that vintage jersey they wore last night... yeah the other 4 Cup wins, Edmonton had the white jersey.... thought ya would know..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

They looked sharp. It was a nice change. I'd love it as an alt. All teams should have a retro third, and if a club isn't old enough for a vintage sweater, then they don't get a third.

Also:

Rexall changed their logos to Rexa11 for the night. The boards, mics, etc all were modified.

I disagree completely. I'm rather sick of this retro obsession and can't wait for it to pass. From time to time it's cool (this one), but often it is completely overboard (see the NBA lately).

All teams should have a retro third, and if a club isn't old enough for a vintage sweater, then they don't get a third.

:sleeping:

Oh, sorry, fell asleep there. The record was skipping, it was kinda hypnotic. I think it's broken.

They're nice jerseys, but I think the currents are better, mostly because they're more subdued. (Ironic, no?)

I still want to see them take that cog/oil drop from the alt shoulder logo, color it a bit to match the current scheme (as opposed to the mono alt scheme), and make it a main crest. No wordmark or goofy shield that normally accompanies it on the alt, just the cog.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Also:

I disagree completely. I'm rather sick of this retro obsession and can't wait for it to pass. From time to time it's cool (this one), but often it is completely overboard (see the NBA lately).

In all fairness the NBA goes overboard with everything it does :P

IMO the NHL does the vintage program right; not to much that you get sick of it, but not to little that you bearly get to see it at all.

I actually first saw those jerseys and skipped right past them. Then I said, "Wait a second..." and went back. "Hey, the old Blue and Orange ones. Man those look 80's." They just seem kinda garish to me now. I think I prefer the current ones. They're more classy looking actually. Those other ones have thier place in team history of course, but looking at them just made me want to grow a mullet.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Those need to be their full-time unfirom again. Yesterday. Their current unis are ok, but the "blue" looks like black on the ice (I still don't get the point of navy blue hockey jerseys...they all look black..). Those old ones may be bright, but they're no more garish than the Red Wings or Rangers or Canadiens. I never have a problem with a uniform you can actually see the colors of in action. And the franchise has had so much success in those, I don't know why they wouldn't want to be identified with that look. Those jerseys are clean, classic, and extremely identifiable.

Archived