Major NFL uni overhauls

southernyankee

A footnote to the Eagles changing unis. In '96, and only that year, the road whites consisted of one green and one black stripe on the sleeves. No bird. The bird joined the whites in '97. So technically, that's when the overhaul became complete.

The team I say needs an overhaul is the Dolphins. I hated, hate and will always hate the darker teal jerseys (not even teal anymore) and those awful numbers. You can't read them at all.

Bring back the Whale!

Worst makeovers in history:

Oilers trying to copy Cowboys in the 60's (silver, columbia blue and red)

New Chargers!

Falcons switch to black (the reds in the 80's were the best)

Jets going back to AFL uniforms (green helmets were great)

Buffalo's "makeover" a couple of years back (and the switch from white helmets to red while keeping the blue pants and facemasks in '84 - too much color!)

I can't believe evryone wants a Chiefs change so bad. I think they have a timeless and classic set right now, and to think of adding black sickens me. After the Vikings fixed what wasn't broken and now have one of the worst unis in the league, I would hate the same fate to befall KC.

1. Black is a part of the Chiefs color scheme (its on the logo). Deep red, black and yellow (if done right) would be unique to any other NFL team.

2. The old Vikings uniforms were awful and plain. They look much fresher and hipper now with the younger fans (which are the only fans that really count in the NFL). Plus, they look SO much better with black shoes.

1. The Vikings and Cardinals are pretty "unified" at the moment, but they look like clowns.

2. The Chiefs uniforms come from a different time, when marketing wasn't the most important consideration behind the uniform design. I say we let them be.

1. The Cardinals home uniforms (cardinal jerseys, white pants, cardinal socks and black shoes) is one of the best looks in the league. If they would just get rid of that stupid, out-of-place grey facemask and make it black (like it should be), it would the best.

2. The Chiefs uniforms look out-of-date (as do the Redskins). That is not even debatable. A tweaking is needed (and has been needed for many years). Like it or not, marketing is a HUGE part of the NFL in 2007. Better get with the times, KC. Clean up the uniforms (and burn those awful socks) and we could have something nice for both the older Chief fans and the young Chief fans to enjoy.

Plus, even though it doesn't make much difference, when was the last time the "classic" Chief uniforms have been in a Super Bowl?

To your "many would probably include..." list you could add the 1996 49ers (gold pants added in '98).

Speaking of, it occurred to me while watching Lost Treasures of NFL Films the other day how the 49ers' pants stripe went from one extreme to another in terms of width:

Brucetaylo49.jpgSCP55619.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I can understand the desire for the chiefs to wear something new, but I think the main reasons they're not changing is that their jerseys are still selling well, and they have a huge loyal and mostly traditional fanbase.

Teams like the bears, packers, raiders, they never really changed much in the last 30 years give or take subtleties. Sometimes change might seem cool because lots of other teams are doing it, but in the long haul, the classics always win out.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sometimes change might seem cool because lots of other teams are doing it, but in the long haul, the classics always win out.

Always?

ORANGE.jpg

tampa2.jpg

Hey hey hey...watch it with my beloved creamsicles there, pal!!! :D

(Nah seriously...I grew up LOVING those...so I'll always have a soft spot for them.)

Now about the Chiefs...when I suggested that, I meant a modest SLIGHT tweak/refreshening. IF black was to be added, it'd be only as the slightest of trim, and that's about IT. A slightly deeper red probably would be nice, along with a slightly, oh-so-slightly more bold yellow (if that's even possible). You know what...I think I may be birthing an idea for my next NFL Re-do Concept Series concepts post...(look that title up if you're curious as to my previous posts in that series...there's one in there for the Panthers, too.)

I am also in agreeance that the Cowboys are in need of a good refreshening, especially with them opening up the World's Fair--er, I mean the new Texas Stadium in a year or two.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To your "many would probably include..." list you could add the 1996 49ers (gold pants added in '98).

Speaking of, it occurred to me while watching Lost Treasures of NFL Films the other day how the 49ers' pants stripe went from one extreme to another in terms of width:

Brucetaylo49.jpgSCP55619.jpg

WOW! That stripe almost looks photoshopped, it's so huge.

These

OILWEBST.JPG1967CHARGERS.jpg

are sweet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

These

are sweet.

I second that. :peace:

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

These

are sweet.

I second that. :peace:

I will 3rd that and add they still looked good when they switched helmet to white.

There is beauty in simplicity.....I fourth that.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived