Red Wings in Red in Columbus

jman077

John Buccigross seems to think that it will be whites at home next year, but since he's not a sports uniforms buff, he may not have the most up-to-date information.

JB's April 2 column

The NHL will have new uniforms next season, designed to repel water and sweat and protect the players, as well. I've been told there will be no third jerseys and home teams will return to wearing white, which is what every hockey fan wants. Every uniform you are seeing now will be a vintage uniform in two months.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

What do you mean "return it to normal"? The NHL has worn dark at home for most of its existence. If anything they "returned it to normal" when they made the switch back to darks at home in 2003-2004.

Well, to be fair, from '17 to '27 no one even had white unis. The Maple Leafs first unis, introduced in the latter parts of the '26-'27 season when the St. Pats were renamed Maple Leafs, were completely white, with a green crest. They kept the whites around the following season when they switched from a green-white colour scheme to the now well known blue-white, and added a dark jersey.

No other team had a second, white jersey until '33, when the Americans unveiled a white one. The Red Wings followed in '34, Canadiens in '37. In '40 the Black Hawks added a white, and the Bruins added a dark jersey.

In '51 they switched to whites at home, darks on the road, and the Rangers finally added a white jersey to comply. They switched back to whites on the road in '55, and it stayed that way until '70, when they switched it back to whites at home.

So, the first ten seasons had teams wearing one jersey, period. The Maple Leafs went six seasons as the only team with a white jersey. Thereafter there were two teams with whites for a season, three teams with whites for three seasons, four teams for a season, three teams for two seasons (the Amerks ditched the darks and wore whites), five teams for four seasons (although the Bruins wore their whites at home), four teams for four seasons (the Bruins ditched their yellows) and three seasons of five teams (Bruins added a black away jersey; they still wore whites at home).

That's 34 seasons, none of which the entire league wore whites on the road.

Then the Rangers added a white in '51, and then entire league played whites at home for four seasons.

Then they switched to darks at home for 15 seasons, switched to whites at home for 33 seasons, then switched back for soon-to-be three full seasons.

That's 18(ish) seasons with everybody wearing darks at home, 10 with everybody wearing a single jersey, 24 with some teams having home and away jerseys and some not (the Bruins never having worn white on the road when they had two jerseys), and...

37 seasons where everybody wore whites at home...

So, what's 'normal' again?

Today, the Red Wings and the Blue Jackets were wearing the colors hockey teams are supposed to wear. That is, the Wings were wearing red on the road and the Jackets were wearing white. As we know, the NHL has it wrong and makes teams wear their darks at home.

You do know that in the early days of the NHL, the home team wore darks at home right? Not sure how a fairly recent thing such as whites at home is the way it's "supposed to be".

Not sure why it matters either. There is this thing called television (though maybe hockey fans haven't discovered it yet looking at the ratings) which allows you to see your team's home AND away uniforms. Imagine that!

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that with most teams sporting dark alternates, dark at home just makes more sense.

What do you mean "return it to normal"? The NHL has worn dark at home for most of its existence. If anything they "returned it to normal" when they made the switch back to darks at home in 2003-2004.

Well, to be fair, from '17 to '27 no one even had white unis. The Maple Leafs first unis, introduced in the latter parts of the '26-'27 season when the St. Pats were renamed Maple Leafs, were completely white, with a green crest. They kept the whites around the following season when they switched from a green-white colour scheme to the now well known blue-white, and added a dark jersey.

No other team had a second, white jersey until '33, when the Americans unveiled a white one. The Red Wings followed in '34, Canadiens in '37. In '40 the Black Hawks added a white, and the Bruins added a dark jersey.

In '51 they switched to whites at home, darks on the road, and the Rangers finally added a white jersey to comply. They switched back to whites on the road in '55, and it stayed that way until '70, when they switched it back to whites at home.

So, the first ten seasons had teams wearing one jersey, period. The Maple Leafs went six seasons as the only team with a white jersey. Thereafter there were two teams with whites for a season, three teams with whites for three seasons, four teams for a season, three teams for two seasons (the Amerks ditched the darks and wore whites), five teams for four seasons (although the Bruins wore their whites at home), four teams for four seasons (the Bruins ditched their yellows) and three seasons of five teams (Bruins added a black away jersey; they still wore whites at home).

Then the Rangers added a white in '51, and then entire league played whites at home for four seasons.

Then they switched to darks at home for 15 seasons, switched to whites at home for 33 seasons, then switched back for soon-to-be three full seasons.

That's 18(ish) seasons with everybody wearing darks at home, 10 with everybody wearing a single jersey, 24 with some teams having home and away jerseys and some not (the Bruins never having worn white on the road when they had two jerseys), and...

I think this sums it up well. Normal is what we get used to as normal. For most of my life, teams wore white at home. The NHL has switched a bunch of times, so, normal has become very relative.

Random note, Wings wore white at home today.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I think this sums it up well. Normal is what we get used to as normal. For most of my life, teams wore white at home. The NHL has switched a bunch of times, so, normal has become very relative.

Random note, Wings wore white at home today.

For the last time, given the league's current alternate situation, dark at home just makes sense!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

For the last time, given the league's current alternate situation, dark at home just makes sense!

Your point is moot as soon as these playoffs are over and we see the end of alternates. I'm not saying you're wrong now, but you will be in about a month and a half.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Your point is moot as soon as these playoffs are over and we see the end of alternates. I'm not saying you're wrong now, but you will be in about a month and a half.

The end of alternates for one year only. (possibly two, but likely one)

What ][ncognito said.

Alternates are only disapearing for one season. So why switch back to white at home for one season when they're going to have to switch back to dark at home in '08-'09?

Today, the Red Wings and the Blue Jackets were wearing the colors hockey teams are supposed to wear. That is, the Wings were wearing red on the road and the Jackets were wearing white. As we know, the NHL has it wrong and makes teams wear their darks at home.

You do know that in the early days of the NHL, the home team wore darks at home right? Not sure how a fairly recent thing such as whites at home is the way it's "supposed to be".

Not sure why it matters either. There is this thing called television (though maybe hockey fans haven't discovered it yet looking at the ratings) which allows you to see your team's home AND away uniforms. Imagine that!

Unless you're a Blackhawks fan.

F***ing Bill Wirtz...

the Ducks were wearing white at home against the Sharks tonight, who were wearing thier alternate black jerseys

Yes, I was at that game, and I think the white had something to do with fan appreciation night. It was the last home game of the season for the Ducks. I'm not sure if other teams will be doing this...

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that with most teams sporting dark alternates, dark at home just makes more sense.

Alternates don't make any sense, therefore I propose we eliminate them.

Or, at the very least, introduce rules which dictate the wearing of all dark uniforms, 'regular' or 'alternate', on the road.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived