Rockies vs Arizona last night

roxfan00

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the highlights of this game on ESPNews & thought it just looked odd with both in alts. I like them both individually, but two at a time is just too much I guess.

It made me wonder though, when was the first time this was allowed in MLB? I can't remember, probably because it isn't an issue here in StL. I also noticed the same situation in the thread about the Angels' new alts; one photo showed them with the Rangers also in alts.

Goes back to the '70s. I've seen a black-and-white photo from a 1979 Pirates championship book of the Giants wearing orange and the Pirates wearing yellow. Surely, at some point before that, there was an A's-Indians game in the mid-70s with both teams wearing colored tops, given that the A's had green and yellow tops and the Indians had blue tops and the Boog Powell "blood-clot red" tops complete with red pants.

Difference between then and now is that there is a higher percentage of teams that have a dark-colored top.

I agree that the Astros need to git rid of their current colors. The need to go back to one of their color combinations that actually fit the name Astros. They've got a space-age name but are using Southwest colors and fonts, almost as if they're trying to have a split identity. If they want to keep these colors and fonts, then they should return to the name Colt .45s.

For the Diamondbacks, though, these new color combinations are great ... for a team called the Diamondbacks.

Yeah the Dbacks use the same colors as the Astros, but they do it so much better in my opinion.

Speaking of teams looking alike, how about the Rockies and White Sox? Now that Colorado is the only MLB team using purple they should try to incorporate it more into their whites and aways. Purple hats, purple lettering, the whole nine yards.

I saw the highlights of this game on ESPNews & thought it just looked odd with both in alts. I like them both individually, but two at a time is just too much I guess.

It made me wonder though, when was the first time this was allowed in MLB? I can't remember, probably because it isn't an issue here in StL. I also noticed the same situation in the thread about the Angels' new alts; one photo showed them with the Rangers also in alts.

Goes back to the '70s. I've seen a black-and-white photo from a 1979 Pirates championship book of the Giants wearing orange and the Pirates wearing yellow. Surely, at some point before that, there was an A's-Indians game in the mid-70s with both teams wearing colored tops, given that the A's had green and yellow tops and the Indians had blue tops and the Boog Powell "blood-clot red" tops complete with red pants.

Difference between then and now is that there is a higher percentage of teams that have a dark-colored top.

And didn't the Pirates wear gold or black when the Orioles wore orange in the Series that same year?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

If one team wears a colored jersey, the other should have to wear white or grey. The NFL and NHL do it that way because it makes the teams easier to tell apart, and while that's not as much of a problem in baseball (since both full teams aren't on the field at the same time), it still makes sense from an aesthetic standpoint.

According to the announcers today, the Rockies didn't wear the purple jerseys all of last year.. haven't since Sept. 2005.

While I completely agree that BOTH teams should never wear colored tops.. I like the Rockies purple. No one else has purple now, and I always hated their black tops.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

And didn't the Pirates wear gold or black when the Orioles wore orange in the Series that same year?

Yeah, I remember orange vs. gold in that series. But I think back then home/road/alt didn't matter as much. Lot of mix and match going on.

lets just call that the "grape and strawberry" game.
Maybe so, but the pitchers weren't very able to work out of jams.

Boo.... :D

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

lets just call that the "grape and strawberry" game.
Maybe so, but the pitchers weren't very able to work out of jams.

Boo.... :D

John, that horrible pun had already been relegated off the current page. Why did you have to quote it or bring it up at all? Doing so only preserves it for another page.

fullj.getty-73394609dp019_arizona_diamo_12_41_32_am.jpg

That is a sweet pic/view of the jersey. I don't care how many teams wear red, the D-Backs look 10x better in this color combo, than their last color combo. (IMO)

BTW: I'm pretty positive in one of the Indians vs. Royals games last season, they both wore their blue alts, cause I remember mentioning it to my dad.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The D-backs' set simply cries out "where the hell is my front number?" The jersey looks unfinished without it.

I do like these red jerseys, and I agree with you about the numbers, but how about the hats? you can't even tell what their logo is, from that hat. I think they need one more color to break it up a little, cause it becomes difficult to read, just too much energy to try to read it... Bleh.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

I really liked the D-backs purple and didn't warm up to the new colors and even the font until I saw them in person. The black D on the hat doesn't show up on TV, but it looks good in person. Remember, the team is heavily pushing the COLOR. I wish they would have put numbers on the front.

As for both teams wearing the alternates in the same game, I don't have a problem with it unless the colors are nearly the same. I believe everyone can tell red for purple. Those who can't should buy a color TV. B)

According to the announcers today, the Rockies didn't wear the purple jerseys all of last year.. haven't since Sept. 2005.

While I completely agree that BOTH teams should never wear colored tops.. I like the Rockies purple. No one else has purple now, and I always hated their black tops.

I too like the Purple Alternates and were glad to see them come back..

The Rockies have a alternate Purple cap but, they have chosen not to wear them for a few years now.. (2004 for only 1 or 2 games if I recall)

pMLB2-1312608reg.jpg

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

Is it me but does it look like the Rockies have the Mets style cool-flo helmets in a purple fade.0333.jpg

I noticed that in the first game. It's weird seeing it that way, but I think they're cool.

The D'Backs red one, the front of it looks like it has gold in it when the sun hits it just right.

Archived