Griffey, Jr., others to wear No. 42 as part of Jackie Robinson Day tribute

gilesy24

Griffey, Jr., others to wear No. 42 as part of Jackie Robinson Day tribute

Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. called Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig and received permission to wear uniform Number 42 on Sunday, April 15th to honor Jackie Robinson on the 60th anniversary of his Major League debut, it was announced today.

Commissioner Selig has expanded the gesture and extended an invitation to all Clubs to allow any of its members to wear Number 42 on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15th, as a tribute to Jackie and the history he made on that day 60 years ago.

"This is a wonderful gesture on Ken's part and a fitting tribute to the great Jackie Robinson and one, I believe, that all Clubs will eagerly endorse," Commissioner Selig said. "To make this happen, I gladly will temporarily suspend the official retirement of uniform Number 42 on that day.

"Jackie continues to be an inspiration to all of our players, and his impact will be felt for as long as our game is played. I thank Ken for finding another special way to mark Jackie Robinson Day."

On April 15, 1997, the 50th anniversary of Robinson's entry into Major League Baseball, Commissioner Selig announced that Robinson's Number 42 would be retired throughout baseball and would never again be issued to on-field personnel.

"If it weren't for Jackie Robinson, I wouldn't be able to put on the uniform I'm wearing today," Griffey said. "He should be an inspiration not only to baseball players but to anyone who fights prejudice and hatred."

Each of the 15 games throughout Major League Baseball on April 15th will feature festivities to honor Jackie Robinson. The national celebration of Jackie Robinson Day will take place at Dodger Stadium on April 15th with a VIP-filled reception and on-field ceremony prior to the game between the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers. The ceremony and game will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes at 8:00 p.m. (ET) and will also be carried on XM Satellite Radio. Among those participating in the festivities will be Rachel Robinson, Jackie's wife and founder of The Jackie Robinson Foundation; their daughter, author Sharon Robinson; several of Jackie's former teammates; baseball executives and civic and industry leaders; Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholars; and winners of the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am actually (and maybe in the minority) that would have liked MLB not to have retired #42. Only because I think there is more impact when a player wears a number on the field a tribute and generations can tell the story of Jackie Robinson to a new generation. I am ok with the overall retirement of the number, but think it would have more meaning the other way. Just me maybe....

Griffey wore 42 here in Seattle for the game in 97 complete with high socks as a tribute.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Griffey exemplifies class. It's a shame, to me atleast, that his career has been riddled with injuries since leaving Seattle.

I'm curious to see who else will be wearing 42 on the 15th.

I think if Griffrey never had all those injurys he could be on pace to break the home run record

I've always wondered about this... :blink:

How come Mariano is exempt to the Jackie Robinson rule?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

The rule was grandfathered in. Anyone who was wearing #42 prior to the league wide retirement could continue to do so, no one could then change to that number that wasn't already wearing it.

SEAsig.png

He's not exempt. He's the last active player who was grandfathered in.

When MLB retired #42, anyone wearing it at the time (like Mo Vaughn) was grandfathered in and could keep it as long as they were active in MLB (Regardless if they got traded, I believe).

Along with anyone else who wore it prior to '97, he was grandfathered in.

EDIT: wow, you guys is quick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He was wearing 42 before it was retired league-wide. Any playing wearing this number before said retirement was allowed to continualy wear it until the end of their playing career. However anyone wearing 42 can not have it retired, so Rivera, despite how great he's been can not have #42 retired by the Yankees.

EDIT: beaten THREE times.

Griffey exemplifies class. It's a shame, to me atleast, that his career has been riddled with injuries since leaving Seattle.

I'm curious to see who else will be wearing 42 on the 15th.

I think if Griffrey never had all those injurys who could be on pass to break the home run record

You are a complete moran, and an uneducated dolt. You prove it with each and every post. Please go away.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Because he was active and wearing the numbers when they retired it. All active players wearing 42 were allowed to wear it throughout their careers, but no player could switch to it and no new player would be issued it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived