Griffey, Jr., others to wear No. 42 as part of Jackie Robinson Day tribute

gilesy24

As a black man i figure if a white player (or Asian player or Latino player) wants to wear Jackie Robinson's #42 in his honor, it would be great.

What better way to honor Mr. Robinson's legacy of racial acceptance than to have all of the races represented in the MLB wearing his number?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonds will wear 42 as well.

jackie robinson has nothing to do with barry bonds

Jackie Robinson defied racism to excel at his sport.

Barry Bonds uses racism as an excuse to deflect serious questions about performance in his sport.

Yep, there's a connection here. It's just not one Mr. Bonds would readily admit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

any white guys doing this? not saying they shouldn't honor him, but it would strike me as odd.

I asked to change my employee ID (that appears on my badge at work) to 00042, but got denied.

Racists.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

any white guys doing this? not saying they shouldn't honor him, but it would strike me as odd.

I asked to change my employee ID (that appears on my badge at work) to 00042, but got denied.

Racists.

protest!

just to clarify I was saying that it would be good for other races to honor jackie, but the idea just hits me as odd. I would try to do it if I were playing.

Anyone wanna sign John Rocker to a 10-day and bring him up for one appearance, with a big ol' four-two on his back? :D

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Strangely enough, on the two men's softball teams we have, #42 was specifically requested by a white guy, in each case to pay homage to Robinson. I know it isn't MLB, but interesting nonetheless.

nav-logo.png

Griffey exemplifies class. It's a shame, to me atleast, that his career has been riddled with injuries since leaving Seattle.

I'm curious to see who else will be wearing 42 on the 15th.

I think if Griffrey never had all those injurys who could be on pass to break the home run record

You are a complete moran, and an uneducated dolt. You prove it with each and every post. Please go away.

Ian Moran?!?!?!?!?!!?

1290.jpg

Griffey exemplifies class. It's a shame, to me atleast, that his career has been riddled with injuries since leaving Seattle.

I'm curious to see who else will be wearing 42 on the 15th.

I think if Griffrey never had all those injurys who could be on pass to break the home run record

You are a complete moran, and an uneducated dolt. You prove it with each and every post. Please go away.

Ian Moran?!?!?!?!?!!?

1290.jpg

I never thought this thread would degenerate to a picture of Ian Moran....

Bonds will wear 42 as well.

jackie robinson has nothing to do with barry bonds

Jackie Robinson defied racism to excel at his sport.

Barry Bonds uses racism as an excuse to deflect serious questions about performance in his sport.

Yep, there's a connection here. It's just not one Mr. Bonds would readily admit.

I was just ripping off The Dugout Chat. Or rather,

I WAS J

I WAS JUST RIPPING OFF THE DUGOUT CHAT

Strangely enough, on the two men's softball teams we have, #42 was specifically requested by a white guy, in each case to pay homage to Robinson. I know it isn't MLB, but interesting nonetheless.

I remember that the last guy to wear 42 for the Rangers was a white guy who had just been called up from the minors a day or two before the number was retired. He felt he wasn't worthy of continuing to wear the number and switched to 37 or something in that area (38, maybe).

Ape.

Ape.

(tori amos) white people are so scared of black people(/tori amos)

for those of you who dont get that, it's a ron and fez reference :P

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Be interesting to see if any Cardinals players do this. I'm pretty sure Preston Wilson is the only black player on the team. Not that it should really matter (as the Cardinals have plenty of minorities, and as an organization were very involved in the integration--one of the first teams to use one team hotel in ST), but it was interesting when they announced the Civil Rights game, because I don't think Wilson had resigned at that point.

Anyways, count me in the group that doesn't think his number should have been retired league wide. I'm just not into league wide retirements, but I also think it's a good point that more players could have honored him had they not done so.

Of course, getting back to my wondering about the Cardinals...

After Bruce Sutter was elected to the Hall, they added his name by 42 with the retired numbers, effectively re-retiring it for him (though, I don't think it's a given it would have happened if it wasn't already retired for Jackie).

Now, I think the Cards should and would let a player wear it for the one day, but that'd be interesting. Maybe they should ask for Sutter's approval, though I'm sure he'd give it in a heartbeat.

Any other teams have 42 retired for another player in addition to Jackie? And, was it done before or after it was retired for Jackie?

so when does MLB retire #21 for Roberto Clemente?

That way they can do a Roberto Clemente Day and have one player on each team wear #21 in his honor

They likely won't. And I don't believe they should, but that's because I don't believe they should have for Jackie too. Honor him like crazy, but I just don't like league wide retirements.

I have a question that just comes from a lot of ignorance, I'm not implying anything at all except that I want to know more...

How big of a deal was it that Clemente was the first Hispanic player? Was racism towards Hispanics at this time comparable to racism towards blacks at the time Robinson broke the barrier? Was Clemente the first Hispanic because owners refused to have Hispanics on their team or moreso because there just weren't very many qualified Hispanic ballplayers?

Just curious. I can't compare his situation to Robinson's because I don't know the answers to those questions.

I do know Clemente deserves a day to honor him (of which there was ONE at last years All Star Game) simply for the incredible person he was, I just don't know about the Hispanic barrier thing.

Thanks for any info in regards to those questions.

truthfully, I dont even think Clemente was the first hispanic in the major leagues. I might be wrong but I believe it was Hiram Bithorn, he was the first Puerto Rican in the majors at least (he's the guy they named the ballpark in San Juan after)

However since Clemente was argubly the greatest player of latino descent of all time, coupled with his humanitarian contributions and his untimely death in traveling to perform one of those humanitarian duties, MLB should honor him throughout the 30 major league clubs the same way they do Robinson.

all Im really trying to point out really, is that every time someone of the black race breaks some sort of barrier or accomplishes something not done by one of thier kind before everyone knows about it, yet if someone of any other non-white race accomplishes something similar, it is never talked about.

I mean, how many people realized at the time that Tom Flores became the first hispanic coach in the NFL to win a super bowl in 1981, yet we heard every day about either Lovie Smith or Tony Dungy becoming the first black super bowl winning head coach.

I'm just saying, that's all. I mean, last time I checked there isn't even a Hispanic History Month.

Archived