New style jerseys for NHL playoffs?

hrivnak

Okay, this is an interesting situation... don't know the validity of it, but I figured I'd share.

On Saturday, the Thrashers did their annual "Jerseys Off Our Backs" promotion, where they usually literally take their game worn jerseys off and give them to some lucky fans. This year, however, the Thrashers gave away their Away Jerseys and not the actual jerseys they wore in the game.

I have heard two reasons for this:

1) Because they clinched the division on the road, they were giving away the historically significant jerseys.

2) According to some reports, I heard they had new jerseys coming in for the playoffs, and the Away Jerseys arrived but the Home Jerseys didn't. Therefore they had to hang on to their current ones to wear in the first few games of the playoffs.

Why would they order new jerseys just for the playoffs? Someone on the Thrashers msg board that's usually in the know said the new jerseys were the new style (ie next year's jerseys). You think they may actually be switching to them for the playoffs? Any chance that being reality?

The Rangers do the same "Shirts Off Our Backs" thing, but gave the actual jerseys from that game, and I haven't heard anything about getting replacements in the new style.

Of course, I can't speak for the Thrashers, but it seems pretty silly to give your own team something new to adjust to in the playoffs.

But hey, if it screws with the Thrashers, I'm all for it right now.

msg-117798227822.jpg

I think teams get issued new jerseys for the playoffs. If you go to the Mei-Gray site, they list at least two or 3 sets for teams during the regular season, plus pre-season, and also playoffs. So some players might have 5 sets issued from training camp through the Stanley Cup.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Okay, this is an interesting situation... don't know the validity of it, but I figured I'd share.

On Saturday, the Thrashers did their annual "Jerseys Off Our Backs" promotion, where they usually literally take their game worn jerseys off and give them to some lucky fans. This year, however, the Thrashers gave away their Away Jerseys and not the actual jerseys they wore in the game.

I have heard two reasons for this:

1) Because they clinched the division on the road, they were giving away the historically significant jerseys.

2) According to some reports, I heard they had new jerseys coming in for the playoffs, and the Away Jerseys arrived but the Home Jerseys didn't. Therefore they had to hang on to their current ones to wear in the first few games of the playoffs.

Why would they order new jerseys just for the playoffs? Someone on the Thrashers msg board that's usually in the know said the new jerseys were the new style (ie next year's jerseys). You think they may actually be switching to them for the playoffs? Any chance that being reality?

They are not ditching the uniforms to move to the new style, as other have pointed out, thanks "jpslapshot22" they are just getting newer sweaters for the playoffs. Minor league teams auction off their sweaters constantly, and not just for specality events. While I am not an equipment manager, but of course they never just have one one or two sweaters per season. Why not have new ones, with patch, for a maximum of 16 home games and 12 road games? It should go along with what they do for the regular season.

Would the grand debut come, say, at the draft? They give a jersey to every draft pick that comes up to the stage. I doubt they'd want to take pictures with a set of not-to-be-worn-anymore jerseys.

If not, they might just try to get away with just a cap this year.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

All teams are supposed to be having their own little debuts, nothing has been said about unvailing new logos at the draft nor the new jerseys... mind you that would be the best way to present them.

Anything anyone says on a team msg board is a retard - no way around that fact. You have 12 year olds making crap up all the time so when someone saw them giving away a jersey that they weren't wearing at the moment, they must have assumsed in their 12 year old mind that this was a sign that there would be new jerseys worn in the playoffs. The playoffs have their own new sets of jerseys, I believe about 2 new jerseys per player, but they never wear the ones from the regular season.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The playoffs have their own new sets of jerseys, I believe about 2 new jerseys per player, but they never wear the ones from the regular season.

Apparently the Thrashers are, though, because they even said they had to keep them over the PA system at Philips on Saturday.

I figured the guy on the Thrashers msg board might have been talking out of his ass about the new style jersey, but it was from a guy who usually knows what he's talking about.

There's no way they'll sport the new jerseys on the ice without suffcient retail backup to sell. With plenty of the old jerseys on the shelves, why on earth would they create a demand for the new edge before closing out the old style? Imagine they win the cup in the new threads, who's going to want an old jersey anymore?

Do you think the Sabres or Canucks would wear their third jerseys in the playoffs considering how much more popular they are?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Like I've said in other posts, I'm concerned about the Wild doing this. I'm not sure about those two.

The playoffs have their own new sets of jerseys, I believe about 2 new jerseys per player, but they never wear the ones from the regular season.

Apparently the Thrashers are, though, because they even said they had to keep them over the PA system at Philips on Saturday.

I figured the guy on the Thrashers msg board might have been talking out of his ass about the new style jersey, but it was from a guy who usually knows what he's talking about.

I'm willing to bet that it is a false report... but hey, I guess we'll find out soon enough if it is true or not (and im willing to bet not...).

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

go isles

:blink:

This isn't even about the Islanders. WTF?

But yeah, I did find it kind of odd watching on TV that they didn't literally give the jerseys off their backs this year. But I suppose dfwabel is right, it's probably just a holdover until the get the new jerseys (same style) to wear in the playoffs.

Imagine they win the cup in the new threads, who's going to want an old jersey anymore?

Spyboy1? :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

And yeah there is NO WAY a team would switch to a radically different jersey style going into the playoffs. None.

Agreed -- not anymore. But teams did exactly that in the 1960's. The first Maple Leafs' jerseys with shoulder numbers came out for the 62 playoffs, the Leafs' current alternate crest was introduced prior to the 64 playoffs and the Leafs' "Canada flag" crest -- which was fairly radical for its day, complete with a new stripe scheme -- made its debut at the start of the 67 playoffs. Same with the Canadiens' subtle shoulder number changes in the '60's, etc...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Do you think the Sabres or Canucks would wear their third jerseys in the playoffs considering how much more popular they are?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I suppose it would be popular with the Canucks fans here, but on the other hand, they owners might want to keep wearing the regular jerseys to try to help sell as many of those as possible before the Canucks get new jerseys (which will be keeping the Orca logo) next year.

I'd go with "whatever they think will make them the most cash"

• LMU locked this topic

Archived