Joe Morgan compares Massacare to Imus

vikmurphy

Completly sick by Joe Morgan to compare the Imus incedent to mass murder. He's the one who should be fired. On ESPN radio interview he said it was dealing with the same adversity of innocently going to school. How dare he compare words WORDS to a MASACARE!!

moss_moon.gif

Completly sick by Joe Morgan to compare the Imus incedent to mass murder. He's the one who should be fired. On ESPN radio interview he said it was dealing with the same adversity of innocently going to school. How dare he compare words WORDS to a MASACARE!!

Come on, everyone is so fire happy it's disgusting. Yeah, what he said wasn't in the best taste, but it's his opinion and a valid one at that. I don't care if you agree with me or not, but you shouldn't fire Morgan for a comment like this. You want Morgan to use better judgement, why don't you aswell?

If you didn't already know from his baseball broadcasts that Joe Morgan is an ill-informed douchebag, well, here's your proof.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

yeah thats pretty piss poor journalism if you ask me, but does he need to be fired? no i dont think so. his job is to talk baseball, if he's decent at doing that why should he be fired for some ill advised statements for recent tragic events.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

What the hell is going on with some people in the media thinking they can say whateva the hell they want. You would have thought people with the ability to reach out to millions of listeners on public broadcasting would have learned from the Imus situation to watch what you say on the radio and other forms of communication. Yes, Morgan is an ass for those insensitive comments and should be fired. This is a very sensitive time for those involved in both the Rutgers situation and Virginia Tech situation. Those comments made him no better than Imus and puts him in the jackass catigory along with him.

I didn't hear his original quote, but I think his broader point is that we expect universities to be some sort of fanciful safe haven from the pressures and harshness of the real world, and then ugly intrusions (on whatever scale) force us to rethink those perceptions. His quote may have been inelegant, but I don't think it makes him worse than Hitler.

That said, I don't regularly watch baseball, but I do enjoy the ESPN Sunday Night crew. I think the two men (Morgan and the other guy) complement each other well and given the choice of those two or the schmucks on Fox's national broadcast, well, it's no choice at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Broadcasters can say what ever the hell they want. They can also be held responsible for it too.

For example Don Imus' rights were not violated. He was fired by his employer as a business decision. The Bill of Rights protects us from the government. As Imus had the right to use the phrase "nappy headed ho's" CBS and MSNBC have the right to remove him from the air.

Morgan can make jack ass comments on the air. ESPN (or ABC/Disney) can fire him for making jack ass comments on the air.

Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I have no idea what Joe Morgan said, I will say I think he provides great color commentary on Sunday Night Baseball.

Watching baseball on ESPN is vastly superior to baseball on FOX. Not only is the broadcast crew better, and more in tune with the game, but the technical quality of the broadcasts are better, better sound, picture and direction by far.

I can't imagine Joe Morgan said Imus comments and the massacre yesterday are the same thing. Of course they aren't and I doubt very much he said that. I think what he probably said was, kids in our schools are vulnerable to attack, and that its tragic when innocent young minds are assaulted.

Well what Joe (supposedly) said was in bad taste. Sometimes people just go TOO far in trying to relate one event with another.

Tom Delay has recently came out with a book and claimed liberals who attack him is like what Nazis did during the holocaust. I'm sure there are countless other stupid examples, but some of us (citizens) still listen to them and take them somewhat seriously, right?

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm sure they probably have their shows archived on their website.

"Joe Morgan, MLB- Joe shared his thoughts on the Virginia Tech tragedy, celebrated how the Jackie Robinson anniversary was handled and explained why Yankees-Red Sox just doesn't have the same sizzle it had a few years ago."

http://podloc.andomedia.com/dloadTrack.mp3..._04172007_2.mp3

moss_moon.gif

Ok. I'm a Republican. My dad listens to Imus. Do I think what he said was in terribly bad taste and offensive? Yes. Do I think he should've been fired? On the fence, but definately can't argue it was wrong (to fire him). When I hear someone compare something like that to something Horribly tragic like what happened at Va Tech, no comparison can be made. Totally different. Now, I've always been a big Joe Morgan fan. One of the most knowledgeable guys in baseball. Me and my dad would both think he should be a Major League manager. Now, having listened to the recording, yes it was inappropriate to compare the two situations, but he hardly even mentioned Imus. Not really enough to warrant any ramifications. In poor taste? Absolutely. But not quite to the extent that people are making it out to be. He was using it for more of the College experience comparison, not saying that Imus' comments were like a masacre.

And for anyone who has ever argued politically with me before, this would not usually be the stance I would take. Any form of "it's wrong for you to say, but okay for me to say" really pisses me off, but I truly believe this doesn't fall under that. Just a poor choice of words. Maybe an apology for making something trivial (in comparison to the masacre, only, not in it's own right) would probably be the right thing to do, and then move on.

This is why I don't really watch Sunday Night Baseball unless its a game I care about, Morgan and Miller both annoy me, I think for someone who has been an analyst now for so long he should know better.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

On a side note, this whole Virginia Tech thing really puts the Imus controversy into perspective doesnt it? I mean, I never felt sorry for that attention whore Vivian Stringer in the first place. If she tries any more of this victim-playing publicity stunt nonsense during a time where there is a much more serious situation occuring, Ill be sick. I sympathize a million times more for the Friends and Families of the real victims, innocent people who had their lives taken for no reason in a terrible act, than a bunch of attention and controversy seeking nobodies.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

On a side note, this whole Virginia Tech thing really puts the Imus controversy into perspective doesnt it? I mean, I never felt sorry for that attention whore Vivian Stringer in the first place. If she tries any more of this victim-playing publicity stunt nonsense during a time where there is a much more serious situation occuring, Ill be sick. I sympathize a million times more for the Friends and Families of the real victims, innocent people who had their lives taken for no reason in a terrible act, than a bunch of attention and controversy seeking nobodies.

There is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. So I won't, save for tsk, tsk.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Vivian Stringer and the Rutgers Players handled the Imus affair with more class then anyone especially the two blow hards Sharpton and Jackson. If only everyone handled it like Rutgers did we would be better off.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is just after last week, when Joe made one of his better points yet. He was one of the first to come out and say that what Imus said didn't make him mad as a black man, it was as a father that it p'd him off, because these are someone's kids. A very valid point. Should Imus have been fired? Well, I personally believe he's said a lot worse, he just did it during a slow season this time, and it was fairly unprovoked. If all of your sponsors leave you though, you have very little chance of sticking around no matter how small your show's budget is. Joe Morgan, should he be fired, yes absolutely, but not for this, just for the fact that he's the baseball equivalent of John Madden with no sense of humor to go with his complete lack of helpful analysis.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived