NHL Going to Uniformed Websites

STL FANATIC

Let me be the first one to say WOO HOO! No, I'm serious! I hate the LA Kings website and I was wondering how long I had to suffer with their crappy site before it changed!

The Kings' site was the first thing I thought of - that thing is an absolute mess.

You're all happy now, until you realize that the Kings site is the basis for what the rest of the league will look like :P:upside:

All though given Bettman's track record it wouldn't shock me.

Actually if it was up to Gary Bettman he would either allow you to access the team information from monks or there would be no team information. I have to say my favorite NHL sites are Montreal's and the Islanders. There's something goofy/corny about those bobbleheads when looking up their roster. If I ever need a smile, I head there! :D

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STL FANATIC, you might as well give up trying to convince the naysayers about Strickland's blogs. You will never be able to sway those that have an axe to grind with hockeybuzz.com. Strickland explained the (possibly) bad info he got on the home white jersey issue, but that will never be good enough for some people. No matter how many accurate items he blogs, they will always point to the one time he was wrong.

Strickland will be a part of Blues radio shows on KMOX this fall, so maybe from now on you'd be better off saying "Andy Strickland of KMOX radio in St. Louis" said...

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

This seems legit. The Hurricanes' URL is hurricanes.nhl.com and if you try any other team name, it redirects you to their current website. They've obviously created those directories for something and they are temporarily using the redirection.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

My immediate concern is the Canadiens web site which offers a bilingual site, with slightly different content in each language. It's a really cool feature, and I wonder if it can be preserved if everything is moved to just a template.

For the most part though, I have to say I like MLB.COM. It has great photos, it has a great play-by-play viewer during the games (and its free) and it has a fairly good stat-browser (and includes some relatively obscure SABR stats).

I agree it's sad that all the team sites look the same, but for the most part the content on MLB.COM is miles ahead of where it was a few years back.

ESPN.COM however, is becoming more and more of a drag and I find myself pretty thirsty for a generic sports web site, that has solid content. If someone knows of a good sports related portal site, that's high on data, content, stats and information and low on ads, op-eds screaming at me, and videos that immediately cut to bad deodorant commercials, I'd like to know of it.

MLB had no problem accomodating bilingual sites for Les Expos when they existed. I'm sure the Canadiens (or even the Sens) will pose no problem.

Frankly, this template-b.s. is ridiculous. Just cheap. A shame, the Oilers and the Blackhawks have two of the best produced team websites.

If they're using a template, I hope the league is going to let the teams keep their own features. I'd hate to see all of the stuff the Flyers have gone. That includes video highlights, interviews, post game stuff, audio clips, blogs from the coaches and players, the system reports, and more recently, the draft blog from Paul Holmgren.

• 3 weeks later...

These aren't bad, because the template is nice without being busy, and not everything is leaguewide. It's as if the league just gave the teams a basic design template and another address (team.nhl.com) and said set it up.

One such feature is the message board/forums. And I'm guessing that's not going to be something that will change to templated any time soon as the Blues, along with the new site, launched a new style of forums while the Kings actually seem to link a fan site's message board. The Blues and Hurricanes have a slightly similar set up, but it's still clear that they different boards run by the different teams.

With the MLB it feels like an employee who works more for the league than the team is running the sites (whether true or not). For the NHL, it still seems that it's a team employee who just inherited a basic design from the league.

This isn't new. Someone reported this several weeks ago on this site that the Hurricanes and Panthers sites are already following the scheme.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Yeah, that was in this thread.

I was just adding my opinion on them now that we've seen a few and have some to compare off of.

I hope that even though the team web page template is to be uniform to NHL.com's, hopefully it won't look exactly like NHL.com. Carolina's does the most, but I see the other teams so far are slightly different in the style of the same template such as St. Louis'. I hope for example the New York Rangers, Minnesota Wild and Phoenix Coyotes don't lose their current looks completely as I really like the design of each of their sites.

So far, no other team web site has been redesigned since the Hurricanes, Panthers, Kings and Blues have had theirs done.

Archived