"New Jersey" Giants and Jets?

nyk

Bill Would Ban Teams Playing In N.J. From Using 'New York'

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Normally it is Jersey fans who gripe that they don't get any respect from pro sports teams that play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford but have "New York" in their names.

But three New York assemblymen recently sponsored a bill to stop football's Giants and Jets and soccer's Red Bulls from using the Empire State's name or abbreviation because they don't play their home games in New York.

"At the very least, the location of the place where a team plays should be accurate, and reflect where they actually play their home games," Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette, of Queens, writes in the bill, as reported by The Record of Bergen County in Saturday newspapers.

The legislation wasn't started here, but it seems to have some supporters in the Garden State.

"That bill does sound like a Jersey thing, which is ironic considering that over here we basically seem to have given up on this," George Zoffinger, head of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority told the newspaper. "But I think with all the money we give these teams, they should be called 'New Jersey."'

So far the bill -- co-sponsored by Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz of the Bronx and Felix Ortiz of Brooklyn -- only applies to sports teams.

Officials from the three teams have adamantly said that they aren't going to change their names.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much money does the state of New Jersey make from those teams? I think they might want to reconsider how unfair their situation really is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How much money does the state of New Jersey make from those teams? I think they might want to reconsider how unfair their situation really is.

Millions but that dont matter to NJ politicians all they want is to hurt the tax payer and steal money

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

<insert really bad LA Angels of Anaheim joke here>

Let me say the lame joke before someone else does, Why dont they they call they call them the "New York Giants of NJ" or the "New York Jets of East Rutherford" <_<

Now that thats over with...wouldnt it be a shame if the NFL had no teams name Los Angeles or New York

Considering that (1) neither the Jets nor Giants play in New York state, and (2) neither plays in the state except when they're on the road in Buffalo, who gives a flip if New York passes such a law?

Personally I think they should be the New Jersey Jets/Giants, but that's a belief I've had since the 80's. Like New Jersians I'm resigned to what it is, though going back to the "NY" logo by the Giants is a particular slap at NJ.

"At the very least, the location of the place where a team plays should be accurate, and reflect where they actually play their home games," Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette, of Queens, writes in the bill, as reported by The Record of Bergen County in Saturday newspapers.

By this logic, the Pittsburgh Pirates should've gone through a 25 year period where they were known as the " :censored:hole Pirates." :D

nav-logo.png

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Normally it is Jersey fans who gripe that they don't get any respect from pro sports teams that play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford but have "New York" in their names.

But three New York assemblymen recently sponsored a bill to stop football's Giants and Jets and soccer's Red Bulls from using the Empire State's name or abbreviation because they don't play their home games in New York.

The legislation wasn't started here, but it seems to have some supporters in the Garden State.

"That bill does sound like a Jersey thing, which is ironic considering that over here we basically seem to have given up on this," George Zoffinger, head of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority told the newspaper. "But I think with all the money we give these teams, they should be called 'New Jersey."'

So far the bill -- co-sponsored by Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz of the Bronx and Felix Ortiz of Brooklyn -- only applies to sports teams.

Officials from the three teams have adamantly said that they aren't going to change their names.

Are these the same assemblymen who voted down public funding for stadia in New York State that would allow said teams to play within the state's boundaries?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are these the same assemblymen who voted down public funding for stadia in New York State that would allow said teams to play within the state's boundaries?

And remember NJ has a budget crisis so chasing away some of the biggest money makers for the state is an idea that only the Dolphins draft war room could agree with.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

And remember NJ has a budget crisis so chasing away some of the biggest money makers for the state is an idea that only the Dolphins draft war room could agree with.

Tank...this is a New York bill.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Woah...I actually agree with Gitlin on something. Don't lawmakers have more important stuff to worry about?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

If I were the powers that be, I'd give a reply that would be the eloquent equivalent of "lolno."

Let me say the lame joke before someone else does, Why dont they they call they call them the "New York Giants of NJ" or the "New York Jets of East Rutherford" <_<

Now that thats over with...wouldnt it be a shame if the NFL had no teams name Los Angeles or New York

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not then you are just as stupid as what this thread is about. For one there is no NFL team in LA, and two the world doesn't revolve around those two cities. Just sayin'.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not then you are just as stupid as what this thread is about. For one there is no NFL team in LA, and two the world doesn't revolve around those two cities. Just sayin'.

1) RELAX, because I was being sarcastic, guess ur the only one that didnt see that.. find a sense of humor

2) It would seem odd if the NFL didnt have teams represented in the 2 largest markets NY and LA

3) If ur behind thinks the thread is stupid, dont write nothin and find a thread that interest you. You writing something ignorant just to see your name on the board makes no sense.

Alright man, sorry, I didn't see you were being sarcastic, one sometimes can't tell on message boards. Sorry.

And I never said the thread didn't interest me, I just said how stupid it is that they want to change the name to New Jersey.

Again I'm sorry.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Alright man, sorry, I didn't see you were being sarcastic, one sometimes can't tell on message boards. Sorry.

And I never said the thread didn't interest me, I just said how stupid it is that they want to change the name to New Jersey.

Again I'm sorry.

its cool, sorry comming at u like that also

heh, East Rutherford's part of the NYC metro area, am I right? unless that's changed in the last 24, gitlin put it best: this is stupid.

Neither the Cowboys (Irving, and in a few years Arlington) nor FC Dallas (Frisco) play in Dallas proper, the Redskins don't play in DC anymore (though rumor has it Danny boy's eyeing a new DC stadium...man, didn't the Skins just get a new stadium? I tell ya, they don't make em like they used to), the Pistons don't play in Detroit, the Chicago Wolves play in Rosemont, the Senators don't play in Ottawa, the University of Miami is in Coral Gables, and then a fitting example from a favorite childhood book of many folks (strangely enough, I've never read the book, nor have I ever seen the movie)...if this is Camp Greenlake, where's the lake? :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived