Josh Hancock dies in auto accident

floydnimrod

I'd say your off base here. I'm quite certain that any rational person would react similarly to the death of a non-athlete, given the same familiarity with the person. It just so happens that you're among a group of sports fans, so lo and behold, the story is relevant and the athlete happens to be a person with which this group in particular is familiar.

Oh, so folks 'round these parts make signatures and change their custom titles every time someone they're remotely acquainted with on a superficial level dies? Interesting.

It's not acceptable purely on the basis of other fans doing it, but it shows that it is not uncommon. And lest we forget, the burden of proof of such action being "unacceptable" is on the accuser, and I don't see a compelling, empirical case for that anywhere here. If there's a psychologist in the house who would like to make a ruling on whether such action is so despicable or dangerous that it should be prohibited, I'd be willing to listen. In the absence of that, I'd appreciate it if those of you holding the torches and pitchforks would back off on the judgmental and disparaging attitudes and "live and let live".

No, Pat's specific reasoning behind the statement was clearly that it's OK for Cardinals fans to use the term "we" because other fanbases do it too.

It's unfortunate, but no such tool is available to us moderators. As a result, we have higher expectations from our membership in terms of sensitivity and respect.

IPB's had it for almost 3 years now. It's quite the handy function.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IPB's had it for almost 3 years now. It's quite the handy function.

Speaking here only as a moderator, Phil told you we do not have that tool. You finding that IPB has the capability to have that too is fine, but our moderator control panel does not have a split topic function. Phil was not lying to you. If you have a problem with the board software, take it up with the adminstrators, not the moderators. And regardless, you'll have to abide by the limitations set forth by the current software.

Speaking here only as a moderator, Phil told you we do not have that tool. You finding that IPB has the capability to have that too is fine, but our moderator control panel does not have a split topic function. Phil was not lying to you. If you have a problem with the board software, take it up with the adminstrators, not the moderators. And regardless, you'll have to abide by the limitations set forth by the current software.

Consider it a tip.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Consider it a tip.

That's what she said.

Snap. :(;)

I hope when the Phillies visit St. Louis that Pat Burrell and a couple of the relievers go boozing at Mike Shannon's then go cruising.

EDIT: I also hope that no innocent people are injured while they are cruising, only Burrell and the relievers. It will hurt, like losing some members of the family, but some how I think I'll get by.

Start bashing me... NOW.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BBTV, you idiot, it's cruising!

D'oh. Ficksed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa also said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old Hancock was speaking on a cell phone at about the time of the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis.

"Mr. Hancock was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident," Mokwa said.

The...rest...of the story. I feel for his family, but damn, how :censored:ing stupid can you be?

Now, to all you "WE" fanboys, too bad you guys in the Cardinal "family" couldn't have helped steer this meathead into shaping up. The guy was born 17 days after me, so you can't just say he was just a kid. He was 29 years old. He should have been acting like a grown ass man not like a fratboy on Spring Break, and his "family" should have helped him right?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wow, the more and more I hear about this guy and what he was doing, the less respect I have for the guy. Thank god he didn't take out a poor, innocent family that may have been travelling on the same road.

29 years old and still acting the damn fool.

Josh Hancock was a big part of St. Louis winning the World Series, and a really good pitcher. Most of all though, he was a stellar Human!!!

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever read on this site.

Stellar humans don't drive with a BAC twice the legal limit with drugs in the car without wearing a seatbelt while on the cell phone and speeding. PERIOD.

I don't care how big of a Cardinals fan you are... I can't imagine why anyone would want to put a picture of this most IRRESPONSIBLE person in their signature.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Josh Hancock was a big part of St. Louis winning the World Series, and a really good pitcher. Most of all though, he was a stellar Human!!!

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever read on this site.

Stellar humans don't drive with a BAC twice the legal limit with drugs in the car without wearing a seatbelt while on the cell phone and speeding. PERIOD.

I don't care how big of a Cardinals fan you are... I can't imagine why anyone would want to put a picture of this most IRRESPONSIBLE person in their signature.

Don't forget the texting the stripper part. I love that.

I'm not going to tell you what to think, but take this, my perspective on the matter, for what you will.

Absolutely it was entirely irresponsible and extremely dangerous for Hancock to be doing what he was. He took his and others lives into his own hands, and ultimately paid the largest price of all.

However, I think most appropriate at this time is not to revel in the removal of this man's life, but to recognize that somebody's son, somebody's friend, somebody's hero has died here.

He may have been doing something extraordinarily stupid, but he won't get the chance to learn from his mistake. Any potential for redemption here is lost, and the almost unlimited potential for future good has gone with it.

He may have crafted the perfect cocktail for ending his life - drinking, driving, and talking on a cell phone - and he should've known better. Anyone, regardless of age, should know better.

But who among us has never done something that we absolutely knew we shouldn't do? Who among us hasn't been selfish at one point or another in the past, occasionally to the point of putting others at risk of being hurt, if not killed? I'd guess most of us have never had to live with the consequences of the worst case scenario coming out.

His family and friends do. And I believe that's reason enough to think twice before revelling in, or mocking the mourning of, this death.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Dumb people aren't bad people and most definitely don't deserve to die.

But certainly this was incredibly dumb choices he made that night, and thank God nobody else was hurt in a physical way by those choices.

Hopefully at least one person will be familar with this story and change thier mind about drinking and getting behind the wheel (and/or being on the cellphone as I suspect that had just as much to do with this--reaction time slowed, but he probably didn't see the truck because of being on the phone and not paying attention).

He still left a legacy that touched many people and should be remembered. Perhaps this fatal mistake tarnishes it, but it ought not erase it.

I'm sorry...he pitched for a baseball team. Is there another legacy I should be aware of?

EDIT: That is to say, I never heard of him until he died. The mourning en masse -- especially after it was revealed he could have easily killed others along the way -- doesn't add up.

And Phil, the "who among us" nonsense completely invalidates what the Internet's all about. We flock to message boards principally so we can judge others while ignoring our own foibles. Don't ruin that for us -- we need it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived