Nameplates

TwoRsAndTwoLs

Exactly, and I wish someone would tell that to the Twins. If they were to dump the nameplates and outline the player names in white at home, grey on the road, their unis would look a whole lot better. Having nameplates on pinstriped jerseys is unbelievably tacky.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Exactly, and I wish someone would tell that to the Twins. If they were to dump the nameplates and outline the player names in white at home, grey on the road, their unis would look a whole lot better. Having nameplates on pinstriped jerseys is unbelievably tacky.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Spot on.

Thank you.

There's something charmingly Minnesotan about the Twins' looking like slobs. Solid nameplates with plain blue letters on a grey pinstriped shirt. Function over form. Somehow, it just feels right.

Never forget.

Just in general.

There's something charmingly Minnesotan about the Twins' looking like slobs. Solid nameplates with plain blue letters on a grey pinstriped shirt. Function over form. Somehow, it just feels right.

How would you like to have worked on the nameplate for that new Braves' catcher? 14 letters in his name and it ended up a little crooked (first letter higher than the last).

How would you like to have worked on the nameplate for that new Braves' catcher? 14 letters in his name and it ended up a little crooked (first letter higher than the last).

Reportedly the longest last name in Major League history. Saltalamacchia....Kinda makes you wonder if that second 'c' was really necessary. ^_^

I can't remember when the last time the Cardinals had nameplates, but I just realized this year that they no longer do. I believe they were one of the teams that used to though. Possibly as recently as last year.

For some reason I always have liked nameplates. Just looked right to me to see the teamname/city sewn right on, the numbers sewn right on, but the name put on a plate.

I can't explain why I guess, I just like the nameplates.

I can't remember when the last time the Cardinals had nameplates, but I just realized this year that they no longer do. I believe they were one of the teams that used to though. Possibly as recently as last year.

For some reason I always have liked nameplates. Just looked right to me to see the teamname/city sewn right on, the numbers sewn right on, but the name put on a plate.

I can't explain why I guess, I just like the nameplates.

The Cardinals dumped the nameplates after 2005.

boo hoo, they don't even have the true arch in their letters any more, a long name is a piece of cake

1zgyd8w.jpg

• 3 months later...

From today's NY Times about the Rangers' equipment manager and fitting Saltalamacchia's name on the jersey. He mentions why Texas doesn't use a nameplate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/sports/b...;pagewanted=all

The Longest Name

Fortunately they don?t play for the same team. Otherwise, pitcher Jason Simontacchi (Washington) and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Texas) would form an impossible battery.

The catcher alone posed a difficult enough problem for Zack Minasian when Texas acquired Saltalamacchia from Atlanta on July 31. Minasian is the Rangers? equipment and clubhouse chief, whose task was to have the longest name in baseball history attached to Saltalamacchia?s uniform shirt.

?We use direct sew rather than panels,? Minasian said. ?Panels are a little easier; we have done panels in the past. But four or five years ago, we went to direct sew. It?s more money and takes longer, but we prefer it. When you direct sew it, you sew each letter onto the back of the jersey. It?s a lot more work, but it?s a lot better looking.?

Minasian doesn?t sew the letters on the shirt himself. ?In various cities, you have your own tailor who does your jersey work,? he said.

Minasian heard enough talk before the trade to prepare for it.

?I made a call to both Kansas City and Cleveland to be sure both places had available people to do this,? he said. ?The answer was affirmative. It was done in Cleveland. I had all the stuff in one bag so if and when the trade went down, I could call the equipment guy and tell him to find my bag. It had four shirts. All he had to do was take it out and get it to his tailor.?

The newcomer?s last name made it necessary for Minasian to go to Plan B.

?It would be a problem with a normal-size letter, a standard-size thick letter as opposed to a thin letter,? he said. ?I have Catalanotto, who is 11 letters, and I use thick on him. If it?s eight or more letters, the factory recommends thin letters, but they look different so guys tend to stay away from them when they can. It?s a personal preference.?

?When we were talking about making this deal, we looked at his name,? he added. ?It runs from armpit to armpit. I knew it wouldn?t work, so I went to Plan B. I went to thin letters, and it worked out fine.?

FWIW, the Phillies road shirts no longer have nameplates. I don't know if this is the first year for this, but this is the first season I noticed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The authentics the M's sell still have nameplates, though...I was gonna buy an Ichiro jersey but didn't because the ones they had used nameplates. Maybe a bit nitpicky, but if I'm gonna spend $200 (that's $2,000,000 SchruteBucks) on an authentic jersey, I want it to be completely authentic.

Archived