Rays celebrate Turn Back the Clock Night

So_Fla

Rays celebrate Turn Back the Clock Night; Zimmer bobble head, former Dodger mates featured at Rays-Dodgers game

06/04/2007 11:33 AM ET

MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays will turn back the clock to the 1950's when they host the Los Angeles Dodgers at Tropicana Field on Saturday, June 23 at 7:10 p.m. Vintage uniforms, a Don Zimmer bobblehead, a trio of Zimmer's teammates from the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers and a post-game concert will highlight the evening.

The Rays will wear the uniforms of the 1950-era Florida State League St. Petersburg Saints and the Dodgers will sport the look of the 1955 World Champions.

The first 15,000 fans will receive a Don Zimmer "Now and Then" dual bobblehead featuring the Rays senior advisor both in a Brooklyn Dodgers uniform and in Rays gear. This unique giveaway is presented by Regions Bank.

Hall of Famer Duke Snider and former Dodger pitching greats Johnny Podres and Carl Erskine will be on hand to sign autographs.

An eight-time All-Star, Snider was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1980. He played in six World Series and hit 11 home runs in the Fall Classic. Known as "The Duke of Flatbush", Snider had more home runs and RBI than any other player in the 1950's.

Podres won 136 games with the Dodgers from 1953-66 and was the Most Valuable Player in the 1955 World Series when he went 2-0 against the Yankees and allowed just two runs in 18 innings.

Erskine was a key starter on Dodger teams which won five National League pennants. In 1953, he won 20 games and set a World Series record with 14 strikeouts, including Mickey Mantle four times, in a 3-2 win over the Yankees in Game three. He pitched two of the NL's seven no-hitters during the 1950s.

Sha-Na-Na, the rock and roll/comedy group from New York City who perform doo wop hits from the 1950's, will perform a post-game concert. Their most notable work was on the 1978 film adaptation of the musical Grease.

Fans are also encouraged to dress up as their favorite 50's television or movie actor, or music personality. A special prize will be awarded to the top costume.

The jerseys worn by the Rays and Dodgers that night will be auctioned off on www.devilrays.com with the proceeds benefiting the Rays Baseball Foundation and the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute.

zlpgJoQI.jpg

Isn't it the Rays' 10th season or some such crap?

TBTC night should = rainbow gradients.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In essence, the Rays will be celebrating the day with former Dodgers. Somebody move this team to Kansas City. Or Winnipeg. Or Hamilton.

There is a baseball history, believe it or not, in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area that pre-dates the Devil Rays. It should be remembered and it should be celebrated. More major-league cities that were once minor-league towns should do this.

In essence, the Rays will be celebrating the day with former Dodgers. Somebody move this team to Kansas City. Or Winnipeg. Or Hamilton.

There is a baseball history, believe it or not, in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area that pre-dates the Devil Rays. It should be remembered and it should be celebrated. More major-league cities that were once minor-league towns should do this.

No disagreement there. However, I think Lamicus' point is that there is more than a little irony in the fact that the Rays are having a TBTC day and focusing almost completely on THE 1955 DODGERS -- who are not a part of Tampa/St. Pete baseball history (unless there is something I'm missing).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

No disagreement there. However, I think Lamicus' point is that there is more than a little irony in the fact that the Rays are having a TBTC day and focusing almost completely on THE 1955 DODGERS -- who are not a part of Tampa/St. Pete baseball history (unless there is something I'm missing).

Precisely. Doesn't the Tampa/Yankees relationship go back a ways? Is the irony of a town with ties to the Yankees organization celebrating the 1955 Dodgers not lost here?

I believe the Winnipeg Goldeyes are averaging over 7,000 for indie ball, roughly the talent equivalent of the Devil Rays. I smell a beautiful relationship blooming.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It probably has more to do with the fact that Don Zimmer, the current Devil Rays Senior Baseball Advisor and resident of the Tampa Bay area for the last 50 years, was a member of the 1955 Dodgers.

I believe the Winnipeg Goldeyes are averaging over 7,000 for indie ball, roughly the talent equivalent of the Devil Rays.

:rolleyes:

That statement clearly illustrates your vast knowledge of the talent on the Devil Rays roster and in their minor league system.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

It probably has more to do with the fact that Don Zimmer, the current Devil Rays Senior Baseball Advisor and resident of the Tampa Bay area for the last 50 years, was a member of the 1955 Dodgers.

I get that, but I agree that it's odd.

I love that they'll be wearing Saints gear, but the overwhelming Dodger connection doesn't fit. Better, I think, to do a special Don Zimmer day - as it is, this smell of desperation, trying to borrow the past glory of another team.

I get that, but I agree that it's odd.

I love that they'll be wearing Saints gear, but the overwhelming Dodger connection doesn't fit. Better, I think, to do a special Don Zimmer day - as it is, this smell of desperation, trying to borrow the past glory of another team.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree completely on all accounts. I was just pointing out the tiny little thread they're trying to use to tie this all together.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Um...doesn't Kansas City already have a baseball team? (Technically.) I know it's easy to forget and all.

I'd like to see pictures of those Zimmer bobbleheads. Will he be all slim and handsome in the 1955 one and all, well, like he is now, in the 2007 one?

I believe the Winnipeg Goldeyes are averaging over 7,000 for indie ball, roughly the talent equivalent of the Devil Rays.

That statement clearly illustrates your vast knowledge of the talent on the Devil Rays roster and in their minor league system.

Glad to see sarcasm is a dying art.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Glad to see sarcasm is a dying art.

Sarcasm is the Latin of this board.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived