Verlander No-No

KevinMcD

I was there, 3 rows behind home plate. Surreal. That was a once in a lifetime pitching performance. He hit 101 in the ninth inning. He threw the sickest curve I've ever seen in my life. This wasn't really in doubt, unlike a lot of no-nos. Only a diving catch by Ordonez provided us with drama.

dp_464.jpg

spikes.jpg

I was also there, in Left Field.

This game was interesting because it was game 2 in my bid to singlehandedly revive the lost art of scorekeeping. Last time I used the Tigers scorecard, this time I used the one I designed because I thought the Tigers one was deficient of a few things.

I picked a hell of a game to keep score. I think I might frame it.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I was watching from the 7th on...

First of all...the gun they had was definately juiced...they showed him hitting 102 in the 9th--no way it was 102. Not that he wasn't throwing hard, but he wasn't getting it into triple digits.

Second of all, how about that Neifi Perez play in the 8th which started the double play--off the bat, I was sure it was going to be a base hit up the middle. If Guillen was in there limping around, maybe this never happens...of course the whole way the game unfolds is different, but you get my point...

Third of all--in the bottom of the 8th, Bill Hall made an unbelievable catch in CF for the Brew Crew--which IDK if they even showed on any highlight reel...

And Finally, 7,221 games and counting for those Mets to get one...though at this point, how about just another win, and then go from there?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

It's pretty amazing what a topflight GM like Dombrowski did for the Tigers in short order. After flailing about for the better part of two decades, and suffering through one of the most inept GMs in recent memory (Randy Smith), it's really nice to see one of the AL's flagship franchises get back to where they belong. And they're doing it all with young stud pitching, the way it should be done.

Good for Verlander! He's a hell of a young pitcher and I love watching him pitch, as long as it's not against my Red Sox. I would have to imagine the gun being juiced if it had him in triple digits in the ninth but you never know -- going out there in the ninth with a no hitter on the line may get you a second wind.

IUe6Hvh.png

Good for Verlander! He's a hell of a young pitcher and I love watching him pitch, as long as it's not against my Red Sox. I would have to imagine the gun being juiced if it had him in triple digits in the ninth but you never know -- going out there in the ninth with a no hitter on the line may get you a second wind.

The ball was going faster in the 9th than it did at any other point in that game. It was true. At the stadium it was clocked at 101 twice in the 9th. I was 15 feet away. It was definitely that fast.

spikes.jpg

I believe that. Common knowledge would say it would be less... and it normally would. But you get the adrenaline going in the 9th inning when you're going for the no-no and like I said, you probably get a second wind and are able to dig down deep and throw that fast.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived