NFL Europa, auf Wiedersehen!

MrOrangeman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if we can bring the league here, use the teams in the Oliver Stone Air Biscuit. I want NFL Minors in Mexico City and coaches that wear leather jackets on the sidelines.

That would rule!

Now that we've lost NFL Europa, anyone got ideas for a new developmental league for the NFL?

NCAA Division I (Bowl Subdivision). The way it has always been.

Oh...you mean for those few "leakers" that finished their college eligibility?

That too is obvious....

The Arena Football League, "NFL Lite" version.

I would think this might give the United Football League a larger talent pool from which they can get players from.

Many of the players from this league played in the NFL, CFL, Arena, XFL and semi-pro circuit . Now with one less venue to play in the UFL might have a slight upgrade in what players might be available.

One problem: Many of the players in NFL Europe were under NFL contracts.

One of the UFL's raisons d'etre is to compete with the NFL (theoretically).

NFL will never assign players to such a league.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A WORLD WITHOUT A WORLD LEAGUE

The real challenge will be to get folks in Europe (and elsewhere) to respond to the "real" version of the greatest sport in the world. If they do, the NFL could eventually do to soccer what it has done in the U.S. to baseball.

What is the most ridiculous statement EVER?

Who wrote that article? I enjoy football, but can't stand some of the hardcore fans. They act like football is the greatest thing ever invented and all other things in life are inferior. It's very annoying.

There was football in Europe? JK, but I think that and a yawn was the reaction of most U.S. fans to NFL Europa.

Sadly though, the NFL says it's folding NFLE to put additional focus on regular season games outside the U.S., which isn't good because the travel and circus atmosphere will disrupt the teams that go. They have a great thing going right here in the U.S. and it's sad to see greed - spun of course as "expanding the league's appeal internationally" - control the NFL's vision.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

There's opportunity here guys: the EGL. European Gridiron League.

The NFL lost $30M a year on European football because they played in Europe's best venues, signed players to NFL contracts (even at the minimum player salary, that ain't cheap) and took financial gambles that the NFL itself wouldn't.

If someone launched a "European Gridiron League," using some of the smaller soccer facilities available (not Premiere League or Bundesliga facilities for example, but lower-level ones that'd hold 10-20,000 fans) and otherwise kept costs contained, it'd not only survive but thrive - and over time develop home-grown talent with which to promote the game.

nav-logo.png

Wonder if we can bring the league here, use the teams in the Oliver Stone Air Biscuit. I want NFL Minors in Mexico City and coaches that wear leather jackets on the sidelines.

That would rule!

Now that we've lost NFL Europa, anyone got ideas for a new developmental league for the NFL?

You do, apparently.

The NFL lost $30M a year on European football because they played in Europe's best venues, signed players to NFL contracts (even at the minimum player salary, that ain't cheap) and took financial gambles that the NFL itself wouldn't.

If someone launched a "European Gridiron League," using some of the smaller soccer facilities available (not Premiere League or Bundesliga facilities for example, but lower-level ones that'd hold 10-20,000 fans) and otherwise kept costs contained, it'd not only survive but thrive - and over time develop home-grown talent with which to promote the game.

That's a great idea, actually. Alas, I think Germany is probably the only place something like that would survive, but I could be wrong... you never know.

philly.png

You know, I feel bad for the fans who want to see this stuff, but honestly, American football is a gimmick in Europe and hopefully they won't keep trying to push NFL games over there. I think it will aid in them having a game or two overseas since they will have no football. Be satisfied with what you have in North America and don't try to push it on everyone for the benefit of your wallet.

KISSwall09.jpg

That would rule!

You do, apparently.

Actually, I don't need an idea 'cause I'm pretty sure the AAFL will kick-off next spring.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Actually, I don't need an idea 'cause I'm pretty sure the AAFL will kick-off next spring.

I have $20 that says they never play a down.

I wouldn't be sure about that.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I have $20 that says they never play a down.

I wouldn't be sure about that.

Considering how they were originally planning to kick off this year, I think The Mad Mac is on the right track.

Also, I'm not sure the NFL is interested in a business plan that involves loading teams with "local boys" as opposed to talent development.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, I still don't understand how they managed it to lose $30,000,000 bucks a year. That number sounds way to much to me.

What exactly do you mean by "minimum player salary" and "financial gambles"? Afaik NFLE players got paid around $15,000 to $20,000 for nearly three months of work.

Something like.. this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Football_League

Europe didn't need the NFL. Most European nations already have leagues of their own similar to how soccer works. A lot of the players in these leagues also played in the NFLE considering they played at different times of the year.

How about an 8-team NFL developmental league (with each team affiliated with 4 different NFL teams)? I heard about it from another message board.

How about not?

(Gosh...that would be fun from a development standpoint...4 GMs fighting over playing time for each team? Ouch...)

Today, we are all otaku.

How about an 8-team NFL developmental league (with each team affiliated with 4 different NFL teams)? I heard about it from another message board.

How about not?

(Gosh...that would be fun from a development standpoint...4 GMs fighting over playing time for each team? Ouch...)

LOL at your comment.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Marv Levy would kick all their asses.

saBS.png

Archived