Yet another rival pro football league emerges

Viper

Wow, that was quick... No sooner did NFL Europa go belly-up than a new outdoor spring league, the All-American Football League - not to be confused with the UFL that Mark Cuban et al are putting together - has emerged and plans to begin play next spring.

Apparently the league has been in the planning stages for some time, but this blog post is the first I've heard of it. The AAFL does have one interesting twist: It requires all incoming players to have a college degree. No coming out early, unlike the NFL. (Not that the AAFL is likely to attract very many undergraduate players looking to turn pro in any case, mind you.)

Still... what's with all these new upstart pro football developmental leagues? Aren't there already more than enough of them as it is?

CCSLC signature.png

AAFL > XFL, USFL, and WFL (combined).

I just know I'm going to regret asking this, but I will do it anyway. How so?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think it is probably due to their plan to not even try to compete with the NFL, use college stadiums, and use players from local colleges as much as possible. The hometown connection would put a few more seats in the stands, and if priced as family entertainment (minor-league baseball prices), could take off enough to survive.

I think it is probably due to their plan to not even try to compete with the NFL, use college stadiums, and use players from local colleges as much as possible. The hometown connection would put a few more seats in the stands, and if priced as family entertainment (minor-league baseball prices), could take off enough to survive.

This looks like a money pit for the team owners and I have a feeling at the end alot of players will be getting bounced checks.

If they charge minor-league ticket prices which would be around $10 and sell 10,000 tickets a game that would bring in $100,000 per game. Out of that they would have to pay around 40 players, the coaching staff and front office personal, stadium rental which cost alot more than a arena would come out of that, payment for ads and then the visiting team would have to be given a cut to cover all of their costs.

This looks like a money pit for the team owners and I have a feeling at the end alot of players will be getting bounced checks.

If they charge minor-league ticket prices which would be around $10 and sell 10,000 tickets a game that would bring in $100,000 per game. Out of that they would have to pay around 40 players, the coaching staff and front office personal, stadium rental which cost alot more than a arena would come out of that, payment for ads and then the visiting team would have to be given a cut to cover all of their costs.

I heard somebody say that the colleges being used (Florida, Alabama, etc.) were going to try to use this as an extra recruiting tool. Come to our school, graduate (they are accepting college graduates only in this league), and even if you're not NFL material, you can play for the pro team here in a city where you're worshipped already...

EXACTLY. And they were talking like players were going to make $100K/per each season. That means that to meet a 40-man payroll at that minimum they'd have to draw 20,000 per game at home with an average ticket price of $20 a seat. Early on they'd get that but as the novelty wore off, attendance would drop and they'd be sunk.

Television could step in to an extent, but I can't see any outlet coughing up upwards of $40 million a year for an unproved AAFL product.

Y'know, maybe I should start my own spring football league. Everyone else seems to be getting in on it... the "United Spring Football League." Yeah... anyone want a franchise?

nav-logo.png

I heard somebody say that the colleges being used (Florida, Alabama, etc.) were going to try to use this as an extra recruiting tool. Come to our school, graduate (they are accepting college graduates only in this league), and even if you're not NFL material, you can play for the pro team here in a city where you're worshipped already...

How many college graduates are around who aren't playing in the NFL, yet want to continue playing football? I'm thinking there are far more of them from lower levels of the NCAA than from the Bowl Division. This might make the "recruiting" aspect less important. It could also lessen the impact of having it in big time college stadia, as there may not be many Gators, Crimson Tide et al. who actually play (if this league gets off the ground).

It's where I sit.

Semi-related, I'd like the XFL to come back. I thought that as far as a distinct league with its own rules, it mostly worked pretty well. And, funnily enough, the NFL aped McMahon's idea to put a camera on a string directly over the action. So it's not like the league didn't have any lasting impact (beyond Rod Smart).

Sure, the first few weeks were goofy. But by the time it got towards the end of the season, it looked like what it was: Football.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sure, the first few weeks were goofy. But by the time it got towards the end of the season, it looked like what it was: Football.

The XFL's problem is that it tried to act as if it was going to be something other than that. That hype got people in the door, but people expecting to see something different were ultimately disappointed. If they had just sold it as football in the first place, they might have been able to build something.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

The XFL's problem is that it tried to act as if it was going to be something other than that. That hype got people in the door, but people expecting to see something different were ultimately disappointed. If they had just sold it as football in the first place, they might have been able to build something.

You're absolutely right. And that is a lesson that WWE has learned, as well. The XFL season was really a season in two parts: One, the over-the-top pro wrestling style completely with Vince McMahon, the Rock, cheerleaders and explosions. The second season was when they realized the first approach didn't work, and it was time to focus on the game. Of course, the game wasn't as good as the NFL but it was still very much watchable.

People were interested in an alternate football league. People were not, it turns out, interested very much in a WWE/Last Boy Scout/Any Given Sunday hybrid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

People were interested in an alternate football league. People were not, it turns out, interested very much in a WWE/Last Boy Scout/Any Given Sunday hybrid.

No, you're absolutely correct.

Semi-related, I'd like the XFL to come back. I thought that as far as a distinct league with its own rules, it mostly worked pretty well. And, funnily enough, the NFL aped McMahon's idea to put a camera on a string directly over the action. So it's not like the league didn't have any lasting impact (beyond Rod Smart).

The camera on a string thing was NBC's idea they had used it in a few bowl games before the XFL.

A good book to check out is "Long Bomb: How the XFL Became TV's Biggest Fiasco", the guy who worked for Vince McMahon who came up the business model for the league had alot of good idea's that might have worked if not for Vince McMahon and Dick Ebersol mucking things up with their insane idea's.

I wonder if it will get any TV time...or even last for 5 weeks.

FYP

I share the Mad Mac's skepticism about this league. They already pushed this back once, which is a bigger red flag than one might think. Also, I'm not sure if putting teams in college towns would work, especially once school is out...because not enough people live in their proposed markets during the summer. I think they could get the die-hard boosters in town to show up, but beyond that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Semi-related, I'd like the XFL to come back. I thought that as far as a distinct league with its own rules, it mostly worked pretty well. And, funnily enough, the NFL aped McMahon's idea to put a camera on a string directly over the action. So it's not like the league didn't have any lasting impact (beyond Rod Smart He Hate Me).

Fixed for accuracy and the fact that it is indeed a brilliant pseudonym.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Resurrection of the XFL? NOT gonna happen; besides, it's been DEAD for 6 years.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived