Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

Mac the Knife

Believe it or not, reports are out today that the NCAA is 'close' to approving a national college football playoff, starting when the current BCS deals conclude.

Allegedly the plan would have the top four teams qualify, with two bowl games (presumably rotating from among the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and possibly Cotton) serving as the semi-finals and a national championship game following.

Wonder what corporate sponsors will be willing to cough up for this one?

nav-logo.png

Only 4 teams?...

Pointless. Way to shun the non-BCS conferences even when there's no BCS. Boise State even won their BCS Bowl last year but under this system they probably wouldn't have been included in the 4 teams and would've gotten screwed.

Only 4 teams?...

Pointless. Way to shun the non-BCS conferences even when there's no BCS. Boise State even won their BCS Bowl last year but under this system they probably wouldn't have been included in the 4 teams and would've gotten screwed.

But the (rather vague) description implies that it would be an NCAA-certified championship, so I'd imagine it'd be the 4 highest-ranked out of all conferences, not just BCS. There would probably have to be some sort of compromise between polls/formulæ and a selection committee (think Men's Basketball, albeit on a much smaller scale).

I don't know about this, I really don't think a playoff can ever work fairly under the current structure. Not that the BCS system is fair either. It's just not possible to objectively declare a national champion when teams get to create their own twelve-game schedules. I've always thought that a promotion/relegation system would work nicely to clean up college football. Ohh, the pipe dreams...

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't see it happening. A four team playoff is slightly better than a two team playoff and could be the gateway to an 8, 12 or 16 team playoff.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Only 4 teams?...

It doesn't matter what system you set up, you'll have teams complaining that they deserve a shot. And the more playoff spots you have, you'll have more teams saying they deserve a shot. There are usually a few 1-loss teams you have to filter through, more 2-loss teams, and even more 3-loss teams to determine which are the top 4-8-16 teams.

Under the current format, every game is meaningful. No other league in sports will losing one game all season long keep you from reaching the Championship.

Also in no other league in sports will winning every game guarantee you to reach the championship.
I think you meant that in no other league will winning any game fail to guarantee you to reach the championship. The playoff needs to happen, and soon.

LvZYtbZ.png

Under the current format, every game is meaningful. No other league in sports will losing one game all season long keep you from reaching the Championship.

Which is why I say keep the current format. It actually makes the regular season important, unlike most leagues where teams have sleepwalked through the regular season, only to attempt to turn it up in the playoffs and get whomped.

Also in no other league in sports will winning every game guarantee you to reach the championship.

Unless you're Boise State, who under the current system won all their games and didn't get into the championship, and under this system could win all their games and not make it into the championship.

College Football's system will never be perfect though, most likely. Oh well, that's why I usually don't care about the National Championship. I put more importance on conference championships myself because atleast all teams in a conference have a shot at actually winning.

A 4 team playoff would only make sense if there were 4 conferences. However, there are 10. Unfortunately you can't have a bracket with 10 teams. You would need 6 "at-large" bids. But a 16 team tournament is probably too large for football.

The 1998 Tulane Green Wave and 1999 Marshall Thundering Herd beg to differ.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

But a 16 team tournament is probably too large for football.

Division I (Playoff Subdivision) somehow makes it work. *whistles innocently*

Minor Correction, there are 11 Conferences, so there'd be 5 at larges (Although the Sun Belt champ strikes me as being locked into the 16 seed for eternity).

Honestly, 5 at larges strikes me as being about right. You should reward teams for winning their conferences, since that does take focus for a good part of the season, but you shouldn't punish them for one or two goofs either. The at larges give these teams some margin for error, but not as much as you think. (I doubt a team with 3 losses would score an at large often.)

Also to those saying that more teams would complain...

That may be true, but if it's like March Madness at all, we'll forget all about those teams by the end of the first drive of the first game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I read the story ... why would they need to add a SIXTH major bowl? If the 'semifinal' winners are playing in that one, just who's gonna play in what we now know as the "BCS Championship Game'?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I apologize. I did word it incorrectly. Last Bowl Season I was arguing Boise State's case. Will's correction was the right one. Stupid English language.

Anyway, If you're gonna do a playoff system, go all out. Conference winners get a shot. All conference winners, not just the "BCS" conferences. You can take some "wild card" teams if you want to round out the field. But if you win your conference you get a shot. Too many games? Lower divisions can do it, so it's not impossible.

Really what bothers me about the BCS is it purports itself as the undisputed championship. As long as it's determined by rankings it's completely subjective and therefore can be disputed.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Really what bothers me about the BCS is it purports itself as the undisputed championship. As long as it's determined by rankings it's completely subjective and therefore can be disputed.

Actually, now even the NCAA is disputing it. The NCAA has dropped the terms "Division I-A" and "Division I-AA," and now all teams are listed as Division I. They are distinguished as those teams who chose to play for the championship, and those who play in bowls. So officially, what in the past was the "Division I-AA" champion will now officially have the title of "NCAA Division I Football Champion."

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived