Minor League 1st base coach killed.

infrared41

That's really, really sad, even more so since his wife is expecting. Sheesh.

That's why I didn't like coaching first (or third for that matter). I always felt I was never quick enough for it and that I'd end up the same way.

Thoughts and prayers out to his family, friends, and team.

philly.png

It's awful. Just awful to hear. I must say, those first and third base coaches do stand awfully close towards the plate. I have always felt the coaches boxes should be moved back, 5-10 feet.

Does anyone find it eerie that the team he coaches for are called the "Drillers"

I saw, I came, I left.

They ought to wear something, in both the case of the base coaches and the pitcher. In the Little League I played in, for whatever reason, the third base coach was always a player on the team. He was required to wear a helmet when he coached 3rd. The manager (an adult), who always coached first base, was not. And on two occassions, a third base coach/player on the team in a game I played in was struck in the head by a line drive. And in practice once, I was tossing BP and was struck in the temple by a sharply hit ball. I was completely fine, but I was very fortunate that I wasn't hurt badly.

I'm surprised there aren't more of this kind of story (fatality or serious head injury) coming from the metal bat levels.

Pitching there the first instinct when a batter swings should be to get the hands up to a position to protect the head they way bats have been going for the last 10-15 years.

Wow

I wonder if this will start a trend of base coaches wearing helmets... I'm actually surprised they don't make pitchers wear some sort of protective head gear

I'm all for safety but why do people, not you specifically, have to be reactionary? How many deaths/long-term injuries do you think actually occur from this? It could be underreported but it seems like the number is pretty low. Just because one thing happens does not mean it is the sign of serious problem and needs fixing. See: NHL and protective nets.

Wow

I wonder if this will start a trend of base coaches wearing helmets... I'm actually surprised they don't make pitchers wear some sort of protective head gear

I'm all for safety but why do people, not you specifically, have to be reactionary? How many deaths/long-term injuries do you think actually occur from this? It could be underreported but it seems like the number is pretty low. Just because one thing happens does not mean it is the sign of serious problem and needs fixing. See: NHL and protective nets.

Is there a problem with coaches/pitchers wearing some sort of hat/helmet combination? Maybe with pitchers, but I don't see a reason why coaches can't do it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think the coaches oughta wear the flapless helmets. Not saying it should be required, but I think it'd be a smart judgement.

The fielders are always paying attention to the ball, but coaches may have their eye on a baserunner.

It's a wonder this hasn't happened more to coaches and fans for that matter.

Thoughts and prayers with his very young family.

I very vaguely remember his short, short time with the Cardinals. Mostly just the name.

35. That's just WAY too young.

The fielders are always paying attention to the ball, but coaches may have their eye on a baserunner.

You already answered a question I was going to put here... because I was wondering about if the basemen have the reflex of avoiding a hit, why not the coaches? The funny thing is that I use to be a coach when I wasn't at bat.

From now I'll use a helmet... :blink:

About the poor young Mr. Coolbaugh, what a sad end for his life... doing a duty in his beloved sport... :(

My prayers with his soul and his family.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I think the coaches oughta wear the flapless helmets. Not saying it should be required, but I think it'd be a smart judgement.

It's a wonder this hasn't happened more to coaches and fans for that matter.

I was at an Indians game a few weeks back and a fan caught a line drive of the side of their head. To give you an idea of how hard the ball hit the person, we were behind home plate. The ball hit the fan about 2/3 of the way down the right field line and the smack was still so loud that we heard it. Everyone in the area immediately started motioning for help so it must have been pretty bad. It really is a wonder that serious injuries don't happen more often.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

You see them jump out of the way all of the time, but they have hardly any time to actually react when those balls are hit. It's terrible that this happened.

I sincerely hope that all baseball players will learn something from his death, and become more alert on the infield, and take more precautions to protect themselves. The catcher and Ump wear all that padding, and they are just being pitched at. The pitcher, infielders, and coaches are in the way whent he bat is hit. They only cover a small space on a huge field, but that ball travels at well over 100 MPH many times. I know you can oly wear so much protection out there, but perhaps now they will look at better protecting their heads and faces on the field.

My condolences to his family and friends

Wow

I think it would be a wise idea, those coaches are older and don't have the reflexes they once had too, and dont have a glove to knock down a ball.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

At the Bisons game yesterday they had a moment of silence for Coolbaugh, and the first batter of the game ripped a line drive right at the camera pit on the 3rd base line. It hit, and broke a camera, luckily for the cameraman he wasn't hurt. You think that after the Coolbaugh tragedy, and moment of silence reminding the coaches of it, all these people should be smart enough to have some sort of protection. Good for Hill.

saBS.png

Yeah, for years Vin Scully has pretty much begged the MLB to make all the base coaches wear helmets, but it has always fallen on deaf ears.

I wonder now in wake of tragedy, the MLB will finally agree.

If in fact the MLB does comply, it would be unfortunate that something like this would have to happen, in order for change to occur.

If another accident happens again before (if) they change it, I say Vin should be allowed to go on camera with a t-shirt with "I told you so" written on it.

Death is never good, especially death on the diamond, and especially in circumstances such as these...

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived