Bonds Breaking Home Run Record

Jeremy12

does this mean that bonds is now the greatest baseball player ever? :P

No. I think his Godfather still holds that title. Barry could have been the best ever and it's likely he would have been seen as such had he stayed clean during the steroids era. As has been noted by many on this board Bonds admitted he took the clear and the cream so he's not clean. I find it hard to believe that a person as intelligent as Barry Bonds would take something without questioning what it was or take it by accident. He's far too smart for that.

To the apologists, keep looking for "proof" if you want but you can't get around the fact that Bonds has admitted using steroids. All that aside, if Bonds is clean then why won't Greg Anderson simply testify and clear Barry's name? It seems to me if there's nothing to hide then no one would be in jail. If Bonds is, and has always been, clean then Anderson has no reason not to testify.

Occam's razor states "All things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the best one." What's the simplest explanation for guy gaining home run power at a time in his career where other athletes begin to deteriorate? Or for that matter what's the simplest explanation for why Anderson won't testify?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything else, Bonds deserves all the negative stigma and tainted records because he's ruining baseball's integrity as well as perhaps tainting every record set from the steroid era of the 80's through today.

Not only is the guy a prick, but he already had a marvelous career before the steroids began in '98, and did it basically for no reason other than that he wanted the attention for himself that was going to guys like McGwire and Sosa at the time. He then, as an established professional athlete with multiple trainers, said he "unknowingly" ingested the cream and the clear when put on trial. Then with every year progressing and his stats piling up exponentially (not to mention his hat size going up tenfold), he writes his plight off as a racial issue (read Game of Shadows for further race-hatred inciting commentary by Bonds).

The main reasons, Giants fan or not, you shouldn't support celebrating this record are:

1. He did steroids. Regardless of how talented he is without them, his stats are forever given one of these* due to his own admission in court and evidence gathered by the Game of Shadows authors.

2. He's a jerk. When breaking the record, he threw up both arms and watched it sail off into the crowd before even starting to round the bases. Then during his speech, he thanked the Nationals "for understanding this moment." I'm sure the Nationals were happy as pigs in crap to give up the home run. Barry Bonds was going to do it, and by golly the Nats were just so nice about serving it up. Then he thanked his dad, when he probably should've said anything in his defense regarding everything steroid related.

3. He's killing the integrity of baseball with every record he breaks. There will be a day, though nobody can be sure when, when this whole steroid thing will come crashing down and all the records of the past 20 years will be scrutinized, steroids or not, because Barry Bonds wasn't satisfied with a hall of fame career, he had to have much more. And to get there, he used steroids.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If anything else, Bonds deserves all the negative stigma and tainted records because he's ruining baseball's integrity as well as perhaps tainting every record set from the steroid era of the 80's through today.

Not only is the guy a prick, but he already had a marvelous career before the steroids began in '98, and did it basically for no reason other than that he wanted the attention for himself that was going to guys like McGwire and Sosa at the time. He then, as an established professional athlete with multiple trainers, said he "unknowingly" ingested the cream and the clear when put on trial. Then with every year progressing and his stats piling up exponentially (not to mention his hat size going up tenfold), he writes his plight off as a racial issue (read Game of Shadows for further race-hatred inciting commentary by Bonds).

The main reasons, Giants fan or not, you shouldn't support celebrating this record are:

1. He did steroids. Regardless of how talented he is without them, his stats are forever given one of these* due to his own admission in court and evidence gathered by the Game of Shadows authors.

2. He's a jerk. When breaking the record, he threw up both arms and watched it sail off into the crowd before even starting to round the bases. Then during his speech, he thanked the Nationals "for understanding this moment." I'm sure the Nationals were happy as pigs in crap to give up the home run. Barry Bonds was going to do it, and by golly the Nats were just so nice about serving it up. Then he thanked his dad, when he probably should've said anything in his defense regarding everything steroid related.

3. He's killing the integrity of baseball with every record he breaks. There will be a day, though nobody can be sure when, when this whole steroid thing will come crashing down and all the records of the past 20 years will be scrutinized, steroids or not, because Barry Bonds wasn't satisfied with a hall of fame career, he had to have much more. And to get there, he used steroids.

you're just upset he actually did break the record. get over yourself and get a life. he has not failed any drug test, and until he does, he's :censored:ing clean. innocent until proven guilty, or have we abandoned that basic right?

756,bitches~!

he may be an :censored:, but that still doesnt exclude the fact that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, steroids or not.

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

you're just upset he actually did break the record. get over yourself and get a life. he has not failed any drug test, and until he does, he's :censored:ing clean. innocent until proven guilty, or have we abandoned that basic right?

756,bitches~!

he may be an :censored:, but that still doesnt exclude the fact that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, steroids or not.

He admitted he took steroid cream, didn't he?

Anyway, congrats to Barry, second to only the Babe in HR per at bat.

innocent until proven guilty, or have we abandoned that basic right?

In a court of law, yes. This isn't a court of law.

but still, nothing has been proven. get your head out of your ass and realize that he still had to hit the :censored:in ball. that is not easy. nobody actually wants to admit that. just because he's an ass to the media, doesnt give him the right to be villified by people who are basically ESPN sheep

The Danimal said:

756,bitches~!

He admitted he took steroid cream, didn't he?

Anyway, congrats to Barry, second to only the Babe in HR per at bat.

he said he UNKNOWIN GLY took it in leaked grand jury testimony. which may even be fabricated. we dont know. it hasnt been proven, so he's innocent.

The Danimal said:

he has not failed any drug test, and until he does, he's :censored:ing clean. innocent until proven guilty, or have we abandoned that basic right?

756,bitches~!

He admitted taking steroids. If I admit that I robbed a bank would you still need to see the video of me actually robbing the bank before you'd believe I did it? He's guilty by his own :censored:-ing admission. How much more proof do you want? Even if he only played one season on steroids that makes the HRs hit that season questionable and by extension the legitimacy of the record becomes questionable. He admitted using steroids. That puts everything in the questionable category. Sorry.

Just wondering, but if steroids don't help with hitting then why take them? Leaving Bonds out of the question maybe you can tell us why all the other guys used them if they don't help with hitting a baseball?

And for the record, innocent until proven guilty is a basic right in a courtroom. Bonds isn't charged with anything and we aren't his jury. It's not like we're trying to put him away for life because he hit a home run. Spare us the hysterics. It's baseball not a murder trial and this is a sports forum not a jury box.

Opinion, it's what we do here. Deal with it. *756, with about 400 of them being legit, bitches.

BB52Big.jpg

Now it's time for the question of the day:

Which will happen first?

1) Alex Rodriguez breaks Barry Bonds' career home run record.

2) Barry Bonds dies from complications involving either an enlarged heart or other steroid and HGH-related ailments.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

opinions are like :censored:s, you are one. we dont know for sure that he admitted taking them. grandy jury l;eaks can be fabricated, but even if he did, he still hat to HIT THE :censored:ING BALL WITH A BAT, THE HARDEST THING TO DO IN SPORT do you not get that? goddamn.

MOD EDIT: Let's try to conduct ourselves with some sense of decorum, gentlemen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

opinions are like :censored:s, you are one. we dont know for sure that he admitted taking them. grandy jury l;eaks can be fabricated, but even if he did, he still hat to HIT THE :censored:ING BALL WITH A BAT, THE HARDEST THING TO DO IN SPORT do you not get that? goddamn.

MOD EDIT: Let's try to conduct ourselves with some sense of decorum, gentlemen.

cute. very cute. MOD EDIT

The Danimal said:

Occam's razor states "All things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the best one." What's the simplest explanation for guy gaining home run power at a time in his career where other athletes begin to deteriorate? Or for that matter what's the simplest explanation for why Anderson won't testify?

That's not a good use of the Razor though. Steroids have never been proven to make people better ball players -- when was the last time Jason Grimsley did a damn thing? How about Neifi Perez?

The simplest explanation is that Barry Bonds gained more experience from playing baseball, learned to time his swing better, and due to many other factors (bad expansion pitching, compressed ball, smaller parks), was able to hit more home runs later in his career. Nefarious steroid schemes don't lead to simple explanations at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Now it's time for the question of the day:

2) Barry Bonds dies from complications involving either an enlarged heart or other steroid and HGH-related ailments.

That only happens if Vince McMahon signs him first. Only wrestlers die early from sports-related ailments. Other professional athletes never do. And this recent spate of young coaches dying? Nothing to do with absurd expectations placed on them to succeed.

Sorry, just venting.

By the way, perhaps RichardWatham should take a break.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's not a good use of the Razor though. Steroids have never been proven to make people better ball players -- when was the last time Jason Grimsley did a damn thing? How about Neifi Perez?

The simplest explanation is that Barry Bonds gained more experience from playing baseball, learned to time his swing better, and due to many other factors (bad expansion pitching, compressed ball, smaller parks), was able to hit more home runs later in his career. Nefarious steroid schemes don't lead to simple explanations at all.

thank god i'm not the only sane one posting in this topic.

and i don t need a break, i just find it appaling that people actually condemn someone for something that isnt even proven. but then these people are preconditioned to hate barry by espn. they're haters. plain and simple.

The Danimal said:

Archived