Byron Leftwich Released

Island_Style

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore is interested in Leftwich

This really doesn't make much sense to me. We already have three QBs on the roster. McNair is still a solid starter, Boller has filled in nicely as a backup, and Troy Smith is supposed to learn and eventually take over (although I'd perfer other options). If Leftwich signs he'd take over the third spot which would basically be useless. He'd be lucky to play one game. Leftwich really serves no purpose for this team in the present or future. Just seems like a waste of money to me.

Baltimore is interested in Leftwich

This really doesn't make much sense to me. We already have three QBs on the roster. McNair is still a solid starter, Boller has filled in nicely as a backup, and Troy Smith is supposed to learn and eventually take over (although I'd perfer other options). If Leftwich signs he'd take over the third spot which would basically be useless. He'd be lucky to play one game. Leftwich really serves no purpose for this team in the present or future. Just seems like a waste of money to me.

Sounds to me it's insurance when McNair gets carted off the field before long. Boller should never, ever see the field again, and Troy Smith is probably too green to throw to the wolves right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Byron Leftwich finds a home in Atlanta

Falcons, QB Leftwich agree to two-year deal

ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- Out of work for the past two weeks, former Jacksonville Jaguars starting quarterback Byron Leftwich found a new home Tuesday, signing a two-year, $7 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

The fifth-year veteran, released by the Jaguars just before the start of the season, when coach Jack Del Rio abruptly decided to elevate David Garrard into the starting role, met with Atlanta officials, including owner Arthur Blank, on Monday evening. He then took a physical exam Tuesday morning, worked out for coaches and personnel officials, and entered into negotiations.

For now, Leftwich will serve as the No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart, behind starter Joey Harrington and backup Chris Redman, while he assimilates the offense of first-year head coach Bobby Petrino. But if Harrington continues to struggle, there is a good chance that Leftwich will eventually compete for the starting job.

Leftwich, 27, has appeared in 46 games, 44 of them as a starter. The former Marshall star, chosen by Jacksonville in the first round in 2003, has completed 789 of 1,344 passes for 9,042 yards, with 51 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions.

The big question mark with Leftwich has been his durability, and he has yet to play a full 16-game schedule. But Leftwich underwent offseason surgery to address a chronic ankle problem, and said in training camp that he was 100 percent physically.

I must admit...with the Jaguars being my other beloved NFL squad (It's a North Florida thang, baby)...I did NOT see this one coming.

I mean...not at the time it did.

Okay, David...time to show what you can do and keep it consistent. Go win some games, baby!

And if it should so happen that Garrard goes down, do NOT doubt the ability of Quinn Gray. Dude can ball...that's fo' sho. (And if Gray's number does get called...he better hope his former Rattler teammate at FAMU, Jacquay Nunnally, is still in football shape--those two broke all kinds of records at FAM back when they were there...maybe that magic might translate? Okay...I'll stop smokin' now...)

But...at least for me, this sorta has a deeper meaning for me: how many other people were ever aware that the Jags were the ONLY NFL team to have had three black quarterbacks on its active roster? And ALL of them came from lesser CFB divisions...the MAC (Marshall--Leftwich), Conference USA (East Crolina--Garrard), and the MEAC (Florida A&M--Gray)?

[sarcastic humor]As for Byron...if he goes get cut outright, I do believe the Falcons will be the FIRST in line to scoop him up. Makes sense...going from the fastest black quarterback (if not fastest period) to the slowest black quarterback... :D [/sarcastic humor]

I called it!!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Now I'm trying to determine whether or not I would buy a new #7 jersey or just tape "LEFTWICH" over the old #7 jersey I have.

Either way, I'm not too excited about this. His limited mobility is not a good thing, especially with this offensive line.

Now I'm trying to determine whether or not I would buy a new #7 jersey or just tape "LEFTWICH" over the old #7 jersey I have.

Either way, I'm not too excited about this. His limited mobility is not a good thing, especially with this offensive line.

According to the Falcons website Leftwich will wear #4.

newsig.jpg

They all look alike anyway.

Amazing post. Read the words, thought "...", saw the poster and laughed. Well played Mr. Jigga. :notworthy:

As for Leftwich, I wonder how he'll do seeing as Harrington was getting sacked left and right?

The Falcons absolutely had to make the move, Joey Harrington is a Bust. Leftwhich if he can stay healthy has been good, Jags made a mistake cutting him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived