Cleveland Browns

The Imperfect

I know a lot of you are against the Browns and a helmet logo but if they had something like the new Bowling Green helmet, I would be content.

1300995.jpeg

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sighhhhhh..............

50Helmet.jpg

Here we go again. The Browns are using the 3D helmet logo at mid-field. BORRR-RRING! The main thing that bugs me is that they are using "generic" NFL artwork as their logo. There was a time when every team used this same 3D style helmet for merchandising or Pennants. San Diego used this 3D helmet design at mid field a few years ago and so did Cincy at the 25s or something (near the sideline). Now, though the Browns claim it as one of thier "official" logos. It's not unique in any way. Spend some time and DESIGN something. Stuff like this makes the Browns look very boring and lacking any effort at all.

I don't like that Elf. Even when I was a kid in Cleveland back in the 50's and 60's, I didn't like the Elf. They finally get rid of it and I'm glad. :D

Now they bring it back again... :cursing:

You would think someone in the NFL Marketing department could come up with something other than the Elf for a secondary logo...

Because of emotions, Cleveland lost an opportunity to create a decent identity for their team. Honestly, is this incarnation of the Browns really seen in the same light as the old version? Even if they kept the name, someone from marketing should have thrown a fit to get someone to create a look that would generate revenue.

That said, if the fans and owners are happy, so be it.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Life-long Browns fan here. I've always felt that the Browns have one of the best uniforms in the NFL and consider myself somewhat of a traditionalist. But I'm also a fan of the Redskins' unis and think the Chargers new uniforms are incredible. That being said, I think the Browns could definitely use some kind of update - and not just a change to grey facemasks and black shoes. I'm not certain that I could go along with actually putting a logo on the helmet, but perhaps on the jersey or the side panels of the pants. I'm torn on the "Dawg" alternate logo: I think its definitely time to move past the dawg-pound identity as it is a by-gone era. However, the dawg persona was born on the field when it was coined by Hanford Dixon. And there are some historical ties to the dog identity - the Canton franchise was called "the Bulldogs".

I'm a fan of the Brownie Elf and I wouldn't have a problem if it were incorporated into the current uniform somehow.

I can also understand the argument for a radical change in the uniform and logo. Perhaps adopt it initially for a season or two or as an alternate uniform.

Frankly, with so many bad logos and unis running rampant in the NFL (pretty much any redesign over the past 10 years), we should really leave a traditional, classic team alone. So they may be a tad boring, and lacking logo creativity, but i'll take that anyday over some overwrought fierce logo or stupid piping up the ying yang.

Consider this: I think that the Browns need to keep their trademark plain uniforms and iconic blank helmets because that's about all the team's fans have, given the franchises' lack of success on the field. This is not meant to put the team down (I'm not a Steelers fan trying to rub it in or anything like that), but the Browns have one of the most unique and recognizable looks in sports and even if you think it would look better to have a logo on the helmets it would really only serve to make the team's image more boring and less iconic.

Consider this: I think that the Browns need to keep their trademark plain uniforms and iconic blank helmets because that's about all the team's fans have, given the franchises' lack of success on the field. This is not meant to put the team down (I'm not a Steelers fan trying to rub it in or anything like that), but the Browns have one of the most unique and recognizable looks in sports and even if you think it would look better to have a logo on the helmets it would really only serve to make the team's image more boring and less iconic.

How can something be more boring when the uniform set is barely more adorned than a practice uniform? It is definitely their identity, but the only uniform more boring might be Penn State. The addition of a logo might be ugly, but not boring.

*Keep in mind, I know what you're trying to say. I'm just giving you some crap about how you said it. It's all in good fun. :D:P

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I wasn't really bagging the Browns on their "Football Look" such as unhiforms, helmets... as boring. I should've been more clear by stating that using the generic footbal helmet logo seems like there was no thought in to creating an "identity". So, for the Browns to have this generic, standard NFL artwork 3D helmet as a logo... it seems to "cheapen" the look. It tarnishes the classic feel of their uniforms because they use "clip art" as a logo.

Penn State is a great example. Their uniforms are "Classic" or "boring"... whichever side one may feel. Although, they have had some great logo identities over the years. They never appeared on the helmet or jerseys. Yet, they still have a nice identity.

You are 100% correct. The Browns fans LOVE, cherish, adore the current bacis, no frills look. Why change it, because people that dont give two squirts about the team, city, traditions and history thinks they should??

Sorry. Wrong answer.

The Browns unis are some of the very best and most distinctive in the league. They are much more identifiable than the Atlanta Falcons or Houston Texans or even the Tampa Bucs. Any of the new/ recent redesigns fail miserably when standing in comparison to the classic, classy Cleveland Browns.

Now if we can only get the play on the field to match the look of the unis, logos, etc......

Now if we can only get the play on the field to match the look of the unis, logos, etc......

I thought it did already.... :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Browns unis are some of the very best and most distinctive in the league. They are much more identifiable than the Atlanta Falcons or Houston Texans or even the Tampa Bucs. Any of the new/ recent redesigns fail miserably when standing in comparison to the classic, classy Cleveland Browns.

Agreed on all counts.

I hate the state of Ohio with a burning passion, but have to give the Browns credit for one of the best looks in the league.

Oh, except for that silly "AL" patch.

Agreed on all counts.

I hate the state of Ohio with a burning passion, but have to give the Browns credit for one of the best looks in the league.

Oh, except for that silly "AL" patch.

Seriously. It's not like Al Lerner was George S. Halas or someone with long and meritorious service to the franchise and the NFL. Lerner ponied up the dough for the expansion team, that's about it. About time they got that patch off the unis, it's been way too long.

I hate Halas with a passion, the lying and cheating bastard. That being said, his contribution to the NFL warrants a singular tribute. The Browns' attempt to copy it for a man whose contribution (as you note) was no more than any other owner has done is both cheap and beneath them.

Why change it, because people that dont give two squirts about the team, city, traditions and history thinks they should??

Well said. Especially when you consider that some of the people on this board calling for the changes to The Browns uniforms are the same ones who think Minnesota, Atlanta, and Arizona's uniforms actually look good. That's not a knock it's just a fact. People in the 80's thought leg warmers, neon colors, and parachute pants looked good too.

I just wish everyone would leave the Browns alone. It's bad enough that they have sucked every day since 1999, at least let us enjoy our boring classic uniforms.

BB52Big.jpg

They need to do something a plain NFL Helmet how can you market that? I like the dog or the (=B=) or even an interlocking CB would be cool.

Which explains why you never see people wearing Browns merchandise outside of Ohio. My guess is if the Browns ever get an owner like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones, then the Browns would definitely re-work their unis for broader appeal.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived