More proof that the NCAA is worse then Hitler

Burkell007

Man, this thread got Godwinned in the title! :(

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Man, this thread got Godwinned in the title! :(

Doesn't that mean they "lose" the debate before it begins? ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Seriously, you might think this is "over the line", but you have to stay firm on this, or else it becomes a real slippery slope.

What if it had been a booster that had loaned him a car? And that car was a fully pimped out Hummer with several grand in the seats that wasn't expected to be returned, so long as he stays an extra year or whatever.

You have to come down hard on the small stuff or else your integrity(and judging from the title of this thread, that's something you might not know too much about) would be compromised when you need it.

Worse than Hitler? Seriously? Did several million people die as a result?

Can we come down off the hyperbole high for a little bit?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Worse than Hitler? Seriously? Did several million people die as a result?

Can we come down off the hyperbole high for a little bit?

Yeah I was about to post the same exact thing, choose you're comparisons a little more carefuly next time. Thanks.

Ugh you guys seriously take everything tooooooo far. Its soo sickening listening to you. He obviously didnt mean the NCAA was worse than hitler. You guys are just like the rest of america and want everything to be PC settle down and get on with life. Just because a thread title says this you guys get bent out of shape...Why. Does everything have to pisss you guys off on these boards??

Ugh you guys seriously take everything tooooooo far. Its soo sickening listening to you. He obviously didnt mean the NCAA was worse than hitler. You guys are just like the rest of america and want everything to be PC settle down and get on with life. Just because a thread title says this you guys get bent out of shape...Why. Does everything have to pisss you guys off on these boards??

Well, sir, you've now become my least favorite member on this board.

My grandfather faught in World War II, as I'm sure many of your grandfathers, and fathers might have. Unlike them he was on the other side, a german (I refrain from calling him a Nazi, for many reasons). The stories told to me by him (I did a biographical piece on him my freshman year in college, or else I never would've heard these tales) are grewsome and inhumain, some downright sickening infact. The things he saw, and the things his fellow soldiers were forced to do (or some willingly) is not something to take lightly. Which lilben77, although meaning no harm by it I'm 100% sure, did. There is nothing about Hitler to joke about, or poke fun at (except his appearance). I'm sure the people of Jewish religion on this board can agree, anytime somebody compares Hitler to a small disservice or wrong doing, it is completely inapproriate and not at all acceptable.

So, Sguse, before typing a paragraph reminisent of something a douchebaggy pre-teen would type, think.

Thank you, and good day.

Because gross exaggerations and meaningless hyperboles by people who can't be bothered to type the rest of their body of speech in their post tend to get :censored:ing excruciating to read.

We know he didn't MEAN the NCAA is worse than Hitler, but whyyyy wouldddd heeee wantttt tooooooo sayyyy it in the firsttttt place? The NCAA has rules, period. They may not be great rules, but they are there. Don't like the rules, then drop out and play street ball somewhere.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

References to Hitler aside...

The NCAA exploits these kids to ridiculous levels and this is just another example of how. They claim they're trying to "protect" the kids amateur status, yet they make obscene amounts of money off of them in the form of TV contracts, sponsorship deals, season tickets, brand prestige (ask any BC alum who was around for Hail Flutie), alumni donations and the like. These kids don't even have healthcare for if they get hurt or sick outside of school-sponsored athletics. So if you get injured at one of those "voluntary" practices, you're f***ed.

And before anyone says "but they have scholarships," does anyone think they're actually going to class? And no, it's not because they get special favors from the instructors... it's because the instructors are REQUIRED to sign an agreement saying that athletics get priority over academics. At least that's how it was at my school and we're only a mid-major.

So please kill the "slippery slope" argument. The only reason the NCAA comes down on "violations" like these is because they don't want the athletes to have any leverage. They're scared that if the kids get a small taste of how people are living off them, they'll start making demands. And then before we know it, the NCAA administrators will have to start treating their athlete-students like human beings... how terrible.

Okay...this response isn't PC.

:censored: YOU!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Okay...this response isn't PC.

:censored: YOU!

You win the internets, sir.

philly.png

The NCAA exploits these kids to ridiculous levels and this is just another example of how. They claim they're trying to "protect" the kids amateur status, yet they make obscene amounts of money off of them in the form of TV contracts, sponsorship deals, season tickets, brand prestige (ask any BC alum who was around for Hail Flutie), alumni donations and the like. These kids don't even have healthcare for if they get hurt or sick outside of school-sponsored athletics. So if you get injured at one of those "voluntary" practices, you're f***ed.

And before anyone says "but they have scholarships," does anyone think they're actually going to class? And no, it's not because they get special favors from the instructors... it's because the instructors are REQUIRED to sign an agreement saying that athletics get priority over academics. At least that's how it was at my school and we're only a mid-major.

So please kill the "slippery slope" argument. The only reason the NCAA comes down on "violations" like these is because they don't want the athletes to have any leverage. They're scared that if the kids get a small taste of how people are living off them, they'll start making demands. And then before we know it, the NCAA administrators will have to start treating their athlete-students like human beings... how terrible.

You make it sound like Men's Basketball and Football are the only college athletics programs. As a former student athlete in one of the other sports, I can say that you platform is false. Every student athlete has to maintain an acceptable GPA in their classes and carry a minimum credit load. Now whether or not the classes they take are challenging or are going to bring them closer to a degree is a different argument. However, a vast majority of scholarship athletes have excellent an GPA, graduate, and go on to good careers because of it. Not once was I ever exploited for dollars, I'm fairly certain the University lost money on our sport, and the university did provide heathcare for non program needs. Next time you feel like going off, make sure you have your facts straight.

Oh, and since you're going to ask - my sport was hockey. And we won the national championship.

You make it sound like Men's Basketball and Football are the only college athletics programs.

You think Nike, adidas, etc. are sponsoring athletic departments because they want their logo on women's crew jerseys?

As a former student athlete in one of the other sports, I can say that you platform is false. Every student athlete has to maintain an acceptable GPA in their classes and carry a minimum credit load. Now whether or not the classes they take are challenging or are going to bring them closer to a degree is a different argument. However, a vast majority of scholarship athletes have excellent an GPA, graduate, and go on to good careers because of it. Not once was I ever exploited for dollars, I'm fairly certain the University lost money on our sport, and the university did provide heathcare for non program needs. Next time you feel like going off, make sure you have your facts straight.

Oh, and since you're going to ask - my sport was hockey. And we won the national championship.

If your school had those policies AND had their priorities straight enough to provide full coverage healthcare, then they have my respect. But you left out imporant things like what level you played at (D1 and D3 are COMPLETELY different worlds) and whether you went to a private school or a state school (the former is much more likely to have athlete-student situations).

The student-athletes get:

-Scholarships for 4-5 years

-First priority for room and board on campus

-Free tutorings paid for by the Athletics Department

-Free uniforms

-Free travel

-Free tickets

-A whole lot of other benefits

The student-athletes get:

-Scholarships for 4-5 years

-First priority for room and board on campus

-Free tutorings paid for by the Athletics Department

-Free uniforms

-Free travel

-Free tickets

-A whole lot of other benefits

And all the clothes that student athletes get. They get free shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, and pants among other clothes.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived