"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

EARLY UPSET ALERT

Wisconsin, exposed as unable to stop the spread, is in a dogfight with I-AA (or whatever) The Citadel. Look for this one to be in doubt well into the 4th quarter.

Hopefully this upset along with Michigans will get I-A teams to stop playing I-AA teams.

Perhaps my earlier riping of the Big Ten was right on. Cuz head-to-head, the Southern Conference has their number.

Got it together a bit in the second half. But they have been exposed.

Call me a homer, or just someone who wants a national championship too damn bad... but I don't think anyone would be making anywhere near as big a deal about the UNLV or Citadel games if the team that most people view as the flagship of the Big Ten hadn't gotten beat at home by a FCS team. Plenty of so-called "major" conference teams have struggled with mid-majors or FCS teams this year. Not to mention the gaps between the haves and have nots has been closing all over college sports over the past few years.

Besides, isn't it possible that the Badgers simply overlooked UNLV and the Citadel in anticipation of the start of the Big Ten season? If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I think calling a 3-0 team who still had a solid showing against its only major opponent "exposed" is jumping the gun.

I wouldn't call being tied/trading TD for TD with an unranked Wazzu team at Camp Randall well into the second quarter "solid". Honestly, the only Big Ten team that hasn't depressed me much in regards to playing in the National title game is Penn State. (And I'll politely pretend the first half of the Buffalo game never happened for them). I think Wisconsin's the second best team in the Big Ten, but when you consider how down the Conference is this year, that's not necessarily a good thing.

EDIT-besides, if they overlooked the Citadel after the near fiasco at UNLV, I'd start to call their coaching into question-which isn't a good sign either.

The Wazzu game is the one game where they looked fine. Wazzu marched pretty easily on their second drive to go up 14-7. After that it was ALL Wiscsonsin. On Wazzu's First drive, the Badgers stopped them and blocked their punt--the ball hopped right into a Wazzu Player's hands and he ran for a first down. So that drive was kind of a fluke. That game was even for one quarter, so I was not too worried. However, playing UNLV even for a full game and the Citadel even for a half does have me concerned.

I think Illwauk makes some points. People are looking to take shots at the big ten, particularly after App State. And there is no question that the have nots are closing the gap. Nevertheless, I think Wisconsin, while a good team, is not a top ten team because they were exposed as a team that cannot stop a complex offense with a moblile QB. Of course, on the positive side, there is not much of that in the Big Ten.

I agree that PennState is the one team in the conference that has pretty much taken care of business thus far. Wisconsin is still good, but not top ten good.

...and that's not the sentiment at the moment at the moment here in Happy Valley, wouldn't ya know? We know we have a top quality defense, but that can only take you so far, and you need to be able to move the ball against real defenses, which this team has shown no inclination that they will be able to do in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Word here in Happy Valley is that Henne is playing tomorrow.

Anyone able to confirm?

ESPN's saying Henne's available, but the backup should be starting.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Louisville's currently down by 14 to Syracuse.....(21-7)

OK...we need to make it so Louisville either plays Hawaii or Texas Tech in a Bowl Game this year. This must happen.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm wondering when USF will get its own logo painted at midfield instead of the Bucs' flag.

1) When they get their own stadium

2) When Tampa Bay doesn't have a game at 1:00 the next day.

OK...for future reference for the Nebraska AD. I know you like having one tough game in the Non-Conference schedule, but in the future, could said tough game not be an emasculating, demoralizing loss to the #1 team in the country that leaves the "White"shirts in such a state they let a MAC team hang 31 on them?

That or schedule a bye immediately after the tough game.

EDIT: :censored: Can Nebraska stop the :censored: ing big play? At all?

Today, we are all otaku.

AND NEBRASKA ESCAPES!!! 41-40. Thanks Ball State Kicker!

The Blackshirts still suck.

Northwestern should just go home now. The issue has been decided.

Today, we are all otaku.

I still can't believe that 'Cuse beat Louisville.

Even though they beat a Top 20 team, it is probably the only win they will have this year, and yes I know they play UB.

Louisville misses Petrino

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I still can't believe that 'Cuse beat Louisville.

Even though they beat a Top 20 team, it is probably the only win they will have this year, and yes I know they play UB.

Louisville misses Petrino

I thought Petrino was an offensive-minded coach. Louisville's problems lie on the defensive side of the ball.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well... I did say that Nebraska may have issues with Ball State when I first saw the schedule. Call it a hangover from the smackdown USC gave them last week.

... And that burning smell? Yeah, that's the Louisville defense, and god does it STINK. That's pathetic. How do you lose to a team U-Dub thrashed on opening weekend (on a Friday night no less). How do you lose to a team Iowa blanked the following week... Don't call this a hangover, folks, because Louisville has defensive issues.

42-0 Buckeyes over Northwestern with 3 minutes to go in the first half. Thank God. A close game against a team that lost to Duke would have sucked.
Perhaps it may have been better if the Buckeyes would have started their second-string players -- after all, this was a game that was out of hand at kickoff.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived