"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After today's game (Northern Arizona @ Appalachian) I learned a few things:

1) There is no way Appalachian is ready for D-I, we struggled mightily with Northern Arizona.

2) Armanti needs to come back next week for Wofford. BAD.

3) They grow 'em tall in Arizona.

While I agree App St. is no where ready for D-I I wouldn't take a closer game with NAU too harshly. They are actually a pretty good team. THE ASU ( :P ) played NAU their first game last season and also struggled.

PopHeading-1.gif

After today's game (Northern Arizona @ Appalachian) I learned a few things:

1) There is no way Appalachian is ready for D-I, we struggled mightily with Northern Arizona.

2) Armanti needs to come back next week for Wofford. BAD.

3) They grow 'em tall in Arizona.

While I agree App St. is no where ready for D-I I wouldn't take a closer game with NAU too harshly. They are actually a pretty good team. THE ASU ( :P ) played NAU their first game last season and also struggled.

Oh i knew coming into the game that NAU was a good team. I never underestimate a team from the Big Sky. It just seems like THE REAL ASU ( :P ) came out extremely flat, assuming they would just run over the Lumberjacks. Trey Elder played horrible and is better fit for a Furman/Michigan type offense - stand in the pocket and rocket the ball.

But oh well, we got the W and that's all that really matters I guess. There's a reason they practice during the week.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

This Louisville/UK game has been pretty good and Brian Brohm is one heck of a quarterback.

For some reason ESPN Classic doesn't have the yellow first down line. It feels kind of weird watching a game without it. I also just realized they're using the old ESPN score box. Is that an ESPN Classic thing? If so, I don't get it, but it's kind of cool anyway.

I guess it's their way of keeping it "classic".

Well, at least Duke and Florida Atlantic (who beat Minnesota today) are I-A/Bowl Subdivision/whatever schools, unlike a certain other team that beat a certain other Big Ten team.

Meanwhile Notre Dame has truly hit rock bottom, losing 38-0 to that certain other Big Ten team that lost at home to that certain other I-AA/Champ Subdivision/whatever team.

CCSLC signature.png

Wow, Kentucky takes the lead with 28 seconds left.

Oh, and see how much better Michigan's defense plays against the more traditional offense? It is the spread that kills them.

If by traditional you mean inept then yeah I see your point. I wouldn't get too excited about a win over Notre Dame if I were you. Notre Dame is just plain awful. Let's see where Michigan is at after they play Penn State.

In a related story, it's nice to see ESPN has it's priorities in order. Kentucky knocks off Louisville and Alabama beats Arkansas, both at the gun, Utah blows out #11 UCLA, Texas barely survives at UCF, and what's the lead story on ESPN.com? Winless Notre Dame losing to previously winless Michigan.

BB52Big.jpg

Oh, and see how much better Michigan's defense plays against the more traditional offense? It is the spread that kills them.

If by traditional you mean inept then yeah I see your point. I wouldn't get too excited about a win over Notre Dame if I were you. Notre Dame is just plain awful. Let's see where Michigan is at after they play Penn State.

In a related story, it's nice to see ESPN has it's priorities in order. Kentucky knocks off Louisville and Alabama beats Arkansas, both at the gun, Utah blows out #11 UCLA, Texas barely survives at UCF, and what's the lead story on ESPN.com? Winless Notre Dame losing to previously winless Michigan.

But...but...but those are the two winningest programs in college football history! The aura, the mystique...the TRADITION! The winged helmets versus the golden domers! And oh wait...Notre Dame is the college football media darling! The world of college football revolves around those golden domers! Oh--and their 700-pound head coach comes from ESPN's favorite team! They HAVE to cover their darlings as the lead story!!!

<_<

Dude...I agree with you. That mess really needs to stop. IF for the sake of the argument Central Florida could have held off Texas, that would have been the upset of the day. Would it have gotten the lead? HELL NAW! And BOTH of those games--that one and the Alabama/Arkansas game--were both way more exciting than watching that "great" Michigan defense "swarm" all over the Fightless Irish. It's freaking ridiculous. I only caught the end of the Louisville/Kentucky game, but man what an ending...almost a repeat of the Bluegrass Miracle against LSU (I believe that's who it was)--only without the Hail Mary at the end.

Another primary example of ESPN's Patriot-loving (or ****sucking, however you want to phrase it)...this morning's Outside the Lines show. Two main stories: Kevin Everett's fight for his life after that horrific injury damn near left him DEAD on the field. The other? The Patriots' cheating scandal. Guess which one they led with?

I don't even need to tell you. That's all Imma say on that.

But man...look at what's going on with college football. That gap between the upper and lower echelons is closing REAL fast. And it seems that those "other" two Florida schools, USF and UCF, are REALLY starting to increase their public profile and become some major players. Florida Atlantic beating Minnesota (did that really just happen?) is just another positive for college football in the state of Florida. And speaking of it, FSU got themselves a pretty good win in Boulder, Colorado.

(Off-related note: is it just me or does FSU's gold pants and garnet numerals look bright as hell this year compared to years past?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm terrified going into Ann Arbor next week. Absolutely terrified. I've never felt comfortable with Morelli, I hate the fact that Austin Scott will keep getting starts despite the fact that Kinlaw is just a superior RB, that we don't run the spread, nor do we know how to throw the football more than 4 yards down the field at any given time. I'm terrified.

Our defense is our defense. That's not the issue. But they can't limit teams to 10 points every week. Eventually the offense is going to have to be able to really just move the ball--and I just don't have that much confidence in them...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm terrified going into Ann Arbor next week. Absolutely terrified. I've never felt comfortable with Morelli, I hate the fact that Austin Scott will keep getting starts despite the fact that Kinlaw is just a superior RB, that we don't run the spread, nor do we know how to throw the football more than 4 yards down the field at any given time. I'm terrified.

Our defense is our defense. That's not the issue. But they can't limit teams to 10 points every week. Eventually the offense is going to have to be able to really just move the ball--and I just don't have that much confidence in them...

This game should tell the tale on Michigan. I think they're the team we saw the first two weeks of the season. Poorly coached and quick to cave when things don't go their way. What I saw yesterday was an average team pounding on a truly awful team. Look at it like this, if App. State and Notre Dame played tomorrow who would you bet on? Notre Dame is going to be really lucky to go 3-9 this year. I don't see Michigan's win over the Irish as an indication of anything except how bad Notre Dame is. Your only worry should be overconfidence.

I'm not saying Michigan can't win but don't let yesterday's big win fool you. The Wolverines have some serious issues. They aren't awful but I don't think they scare anyone either. Penn State should win this one easily. Their D is more than enough to stop Michigan and all you need is a little offense to shred The Wolverine defense (or lack thereof.)

BB52Big.jpg

This game should tell the tale on Michigan. I think they're the team we saw the first two weeks of the season. Poorly coached and quick to cave when things don't go their way. What I saw yesterday was an average team pounding on a truly awful team. Look at it like this, if App. State and Notre Dame played tomorrow who would you bet on? Notre Dame is going to be really lucky to go 3-9 this year. I don't see Michigan's win over the Irish as an indication of anything except how bad Notre Dame is. Your only worry should be overconfidence.

I'm not saying Michigan can't win but don't let yesterday's big win fool you. The Wolverines have some serious issues. They aren't awful but I don't think they scare anyone either. Penn State should win this one easily. Their D is more than enough to stop Michigan and all you need is a little offense to shred The Wolverine defense (or lack thereof.)

Well I was starting to worry about this game even before ND got blown out by Michigan. I know PSU wasn't going to open the playbook at all against Buffalo or FIU, but starting RB Austin Scott looks terrible through 3 games against nobody (ND included in that) and Rodney Kinlaw who is just better won't see the field until Scott loses a couple of more fumbles like yesterday. Morelli can't seem to throw the ball more than 4 yards into the flat at a time, and when he has open receivers and time to throw he can't get them the ball. It's only a matter of time before one of the 10123524639 screens they run gets picked for 6 or one becomes a lateral when Morelli can't hit his man and its a loose ball, etc. I'm just pissed off that once again, the defense is seemingly going to have to carry this team. Same you know what, different season...

Yes, of course we SHOULD win. But I've just had this bad feeling for a couple of weeks now...and I'm going to get more and more anxious as the week goes on. I just hope that when the clock reads :00 I'll be eating crow (which I'd gladly do) and not saying I told you so and then I'll be able to worry about other important things like why the Mets bullpen will be the death of them and why the Jets can't pass rush against anyone...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

AP Rankings:

1. Southern California (46) 2-0 1605 1

2. LSU (19) 3-0 1577 2

3. Florida 3-0 1437 5

4. Oklahoma 3-0 1434 3

5. West Virginia 3-0 1388 4

6. California 3-0 1232 8

7. Texas 3-0 1169 6

8. Ohio State 3-0 1142 10

9. Wisconsin 3-0 1111 7

10. Penn State 3-0 1041 12

11. Rutgers 3-0 956 13

12. South Carolina 3-0 814 17

13. Oregon 3-0 810 19

14. Boston College 3-0 792 21

15. Clemson 3-0 615 20

16. Alabama 3-0 516 NR

17. Virginia Tech 2-1 458 18

18. Louisville 2-1 367 9

19. Hawaii 3-0 343 24

20. Texas A&M 3-0 342 25

21. Kentucky 3-0 338 NR

22. Georgia 2-1 333 23

23. South Florida 2-0 285 NR

24. Nebraska 2-1 277 14

25. Missouri 3-0 228 NR

Others Receiving Votes

Arkansas 179, Georgia Tech 128, Arizona State 69, Cincinnati 53, UCLA 41, Texas Tech 16, Air Force 8, Purdue 6, Appalachian State 5, Florida State 5, Washington 2, Tulsa 1, Kansas 1, Michigan State 1.

Dropped From Rankings

UCLA 11, Georgia Tech 15, Arkansas 16, Tennessee 22.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

All I can figure is the pollsters didn't stay up for the second half of the Nebraska-USC game. (And no, this isn't me pitching a higher ranking for the Huskers.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At this point, could we be talking a match between 12-1 LSU and 12-1 Florida for the national title?

No.

Here's why: They'll have probably played twice at that point, no need for a rubber match, especially with one of those being a neutral site game. Also, based on what I've seen out of the Big XII thus far, I would be very surprised if Oklahoma doesn't finish the regular season unbeaten.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

EARLY UPSET ALERT

Wisconsin, exposed as unable to stop the spread, is in a dogfight with I-AA (or whatever) The Citadel. Look for this one to be in doubt well into the 4th quarter.

Hopefully this upset along with Michigans will get I-A teams to stop playing I-AA teams.

Perhaps my earlier riping of the Big Ten was right on. Cuz head-to-head, the Southern Conference has their number.

Got it together a bit in the second half. But they have been exposed.

Call me a homer, or just someone who wants a national championship too damn bad... but I don't think anyone would be making anywhere near as big a deal about the UNLV or Citadel games if the team that most people view as the flagship of the Big Ten hadn't gotten beat at home by a FCS team. Plenty of so-called "major" conference teams have struggled with mid-majors or FCS teams this year. Not to mention the gaps between the haves and have nots has been closing all over college sports over the past few years.

Besides, isn't it possible that the Badgers simply overlooked UNLV and the Citadel in anticipation of the start of the Big Ten season? If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I think calling a 3-0 team who still had a solid showing against its only major opponent "exposed" is jumping the gun.

EARLY UPSET ALERT

Wisconsin, exposed as unable to stop the spread, is in a dogfight with I-AA (or whatever) The Citadel. Look for this one to be in doubt well into the 4th quarter.

Hopefully this upset along with Michigans will get I-A teams to stop playing I-AA teams.

Perhaps my earlier riping of the Big Ten was right on. Cuz head-to-head, the Southern Conference has their number.

Call me a homer, or just someone who wants a national championship too damn bad... but I don't think anyone would be making anywhere near as big a deal about the UNLV or Citadel games if the team that most people view as the flagship of the Big Ten hadn't gotten beat at home by a FCS team. Plenty of so-called "major" conference teams have struggled with mid-majors or FCS teams this year. Not to mention the gaps between the haves and have nots has been closing all over college sports over the past few years.

Besides, isn't it possible that the Badgers simply overlooked UNLV and the Citadel in anticipation of the start of the Big Ten season? If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I think calling a 3-0 team who still had a solid showing against its only major opponent "exposed" is jumping the gun.

I wouldn't call being tied/trading TD for TD with an unranked Wazzu team at Camp Randall well into the second quarter "solid". Honestly, the only Big Ten team that hasn't depressed me much in regards to playing in the National title game is Penn State. (And I'll politely pretend the first half of the Buffalo game never happened for them). I think Wisconsin's the second best team in the Big Ten, but when you consider how down the Conference is this year, that's not necessarily a good thing.

EDIT-besides, if they overlooked the Citadel after the near fiasco at UNLV, I'd start to call their coaching into question-which isn't a good sign either.

Today, we are all otaku.

EARLY UPSET ALERT

I wouldn't call being tied/trading TD for TD with an unranked Wazzu team at Camp Randall well into the second quarter "solid". Honestly, the only Big Ten team that hasn't depressed me much in regards to playing in the National title game is Penn State. (And I'll politely pretend the first half of the Buffalo game never happened for them). I think Wisconsin's the second best team in the Big Ten, but when you consider how down the Conference is this year, that's not necessarily a good thing.

EDIT-besides, if they overlooked the Citadel after the near fiasco at UNLV, I'd start to call their coaching into question-which isn't a good sign either.

The Wazzu game is the one game where they looked fine. Wazzu marched pretty easily on their second drive to go up 14-7. After that it was ALL Wiscsonsin. On Wazzu's First drive, the Badgers stopped them and blocked their punt--the ball hopped right into a Wazzu Player's hands and he ran for a first down. So that drive was kind of a fluke. That game was even for one quarter, so I was not too worried. However, playing UNLV even for a full game and the Citadel even for a half does have me concerned.

I think Illwauk makes some points. People are looking to take shots at the big ten, particularly after App State. And there is no question that the have nots are closing the gap. Nevertheless, I think Wisconsin, while a good team, is not a top ten team because they were exposed as a team that cannot stop a complex offense with a moblile QB. Of course, on the positive side, there is not much of that in the Big Ten.

I agree that PennState is the one team in the conference that has pretty much taken care of business thus far. Wisconsin is still good, but not top ten good.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived