"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

LSU 24, Va Tech 0. With 11:55 to go in the 2nd Quarter.

Methinks the Hokies are overrated.

That and they should quietly disband at halftime.

But that would stop the healing!

The Hokies will need a physical healing after getting smacked around by LSU.

The Tigers look......impressive.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, I tell you...Jim Leavitt is doing ONE HELLUVA job building up that program down there in Tampa.

Recall last year...the Bulls beat conference favorite Lousiville...then went TO West Virginia and basically shut down that high-powered Mountaineer offense to close out their season last year.

And then tonight...they go into Auburn's house, take the Tigers into overtime...and then score a touchdown to upset the Tigers in their house.

It's not exactly Appalachian State over Michigan...but yet and still, it's an upset all the same.

(On a related note: Auburn has fielded a football team since the 1800s...South Florida has only been doing so for the last decade or so. OT record for Auburn: 3-5. OT record for South Florida: 5-0.)

So who now thinks that South Florida is ready for the big time? (That didn't alreasy think it before?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And next week, Michigan (0-2) vs. Notre Dame (0-2) will be the most publicized game of the week. -smh-.

Anyone else slightly giddy that these two "holier-than-thou" programs are in the proverbial toilet this year?

Maybe just a little. :P Sadly only one of them can go 0-3.

First it was App. State over Michigan last week. This week USF beats Auburn, SC beats Georgia, there's that crazy shootout between Fresno and A&M...and those are just the ones I can think of. We're off to a fine start of what promises to be an epic season of college football. The NFL will be lucky to generate this much excitement all season. Boy I can't wait for that Raiders-Lions game tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL but for pure excitement and entertainment it can't hold a candle to college football.

BB52Big.jpg

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

BIG EAST teams are 14-2 so far this year, the only two losses are by SU :(

The Big East's non-Syracuse undefeated streak will end Thursday Night!

First it was App. State over Michigan last week. This week USF beats Auburn, SC beats Georgia, there's that crazy shootout between Fresno and A&M...and those are just the ones I can think of. We're off to a fine start of what promises to be an epic season of college football. The NFL will be lucky to generate this much excitement all season. Boy I can't wait for that Raiders-Lions game tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL but for pure excitement and entertainment it can't old a candle to college football.

Well until the playoffs where it produces more memorable moments in just a few years than in College Football history.

#5 Wisconsin hangs on against UNLV 20-13

USF looks scary. The Big East is starting to get rid of their Basketball only tag.

West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers, USF, all could win the conference, and maybe even a National Championship.

saBS.png

West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers, USF, all could win the conference, and maybe even a National Championship.

They won't...they'll beat each other up and in doing so knock each other out of the title game. The same system that infrared loves so reduces a team's margin for error to zero.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boy, I tell you...Jim Leavitt is doing ONE HELLUVA job building up that program down there in Tampa.

Recall last year...the Bulls beat conference favorite Lousiville...then went TO West Virginia and basically shut down that high-powered Mountaineer offense to close out their season last year.

South Florida lost at Louisville last year 31-8. They did beat Louisville in 2005, though.

South Florida lost at Louisville last year 31-8. They did beat Louisville in 2005, though.

We also won in 2003 (I was there). We seem to have The Ville's number in Tampa, so lets hope for the same luck this season.

Right, right...yes, that was 2005. That's also what I meant...my bad. What I meant was that in successive years they've pulled off bigger and bigger upsets. Things are definitely looking up for the USF Bulls football program--and for the University of South Florida as a whole.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

First it was App. State over Michigan last week. This week USF beats Auburn, SC beats Georgia, there's that crazy shootout between Fresno and A&M...and those are just the ones I can think of. We're off to a fine start of what promises to be an epic season of college football. The NFL will be lucky to generate this much excitement all season. Boy I can't wait for that Raiders-Lions game tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL but for pure excitement and entertainment it can't old a candle to college football.

Well until the playoffs where it produces more memorable moments in just a few years than in College Football history.

Seriously? In all of college football history?

17 weeks of match-ups like Atlanta vs. Minnesota and Houston vs. Cleveland so we can maybe see a Dallas-Seattle playoff game.

Sorry dude but it's not even a contest. The NFL has 32 teams and not all of them sell out. How many people do you think attended a college football game today? I'm not bashing the NFL I'm just saying that college football is far more entertaining overall. Not better. Just more fun.

BB52Big.jpg

They won't...they'll beat each other up and in doing so knock each other out of the title game. The same system that infrared loves so reduces a team's margin for error to zero.

But if one of them can go undefeated throughout, they should be in the championship game. Not likely, but possible.

But, if USC, LSU, and USF all go undefeated, we all know USC and LSU will be in New Orleans in January, not USF. Which is why they should have a playoff, or a +1 system.

saBS.png

Well, the folks in Michigan can relax, the easy part of the schedule is coming up soon....the Big Ten opponents.

I wish I could argue that but after watching Ohio State struggle with :censored:-ing Akron I have to say you're probably right. Oh well, it could be worse, we could be Michigan. The Big 10 officially sucks. (As if most of you needed actual confirmation of that fact.) Can't wait to go to Washington next week. :(

I too would like to argue, but I can't. Nobody in the B10 has beaten anyone. And many have beaten cupcakes very tightly.

MSU, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota. Not much there, as we knew.

Iowa: Struggled at Northern Illinois.

Wisconsin: Actually handled Wazzu after the opening two drives, but survived a huge scare at Vegas tonight in what was practically a home game*

Michigan: Looks bad (but I could see them going like 7-1 in the B10).

Ohio State: Lost a Heisman winner, Tedd Ginn, and others. Have looked less than convincing.

Penn State: The only team I am sold on. Not that they have beaten anyone, but they have taken care of business.

There are six BCS conferences, but i don't know that the B10 is in the top 6

*UNLV has four sellouts at home. All against Wisconsin.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The NFL has 32 teams and not all of them sell out.

Didn't every NFL game except 3 (I think all of those were in Buffalo) last year sell out??

I'm not sure if they were eventually able to sell all the tickets, but I do know the Rams-Redskins game was blacked out last season in St. Louis.

That and Edward Jones had to buy up 2000 or so tickets to give away as comps so the opener against Carolina wouldn't be blacked out. <_< (Way to go St. Louisans! Best sports fans in the world my arse...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll suggest to infrared that the perceived lack of attendance or excitement at a NFL game vs. a college game comes from a combination of higher-priced tickets and the fact that many team's season ticket bases are more of their market's corporate populace than their actual fans.

Or at least that's how I think it works in St. Louis.

Actually not every college football team sells out; like the NFL, that is reserved for the best teams and programs who have the success needed to draw the fans.

----------------------------------------------------------

OnWis....to add insult to injury, that Northern Illinois team just lost to a I-AA team. :o

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

17 weeks of match-ups like Atlanta vs. Minnesota and Houston vs. Cleveland so we can maybe see a Dallas-Seattle playoff game.

Sorry dude but it's not even a contest. The NFL has 32 teams and not all of them sell out. How many people do you think attended a college football game today? I'm not bashing the NFL I'm just saying that college football is far more entertaining overall. Not better. Just more fun.

I think people will just have to agree to disagree on this. I am totally with you. After a day like today, tomorrow is pretty ho-hum. If the Patriots or some other team lose tomorrow, it is fairly meaningless. Today was a huge day for Auburn.

I personally think the excitement on campus is tenfold better than the NFL. Keeping up with what is going on on Saturday is way more exciting than on Sunday. The atmosphere AT a game (particularly in the student section) is not even close. Watch the BCS championship game this year. Say it's LSU vs. USC. It will be a stadium full of maroon and purple. Then watch the Super Bowl. 80% of the fans will be non-partison.

During a nail-biting Wisconsin game tonight, I watched USF upset Auburn during the commercials. I have no particular rooting interest. But I was absolutely compelled with the game. I acutally missed a couple of plays from my game. If Chicago and San Diego are down to the wire tomorrow, I just won't be as into it.

Oh well, I know I am in the minority nationwide, but give me college football over the NFL any day.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

WVU is over-rated.

Louisville, yes, over-rated.

Rutgers? Well i think you have your Big East Champion right there, buddy!

USF looks scary though. But Rutgers HAS to win, to eliminate the stigma of... well, being Rutgers for so long.

Both teams still fighting for attention and recognition. RU v. USF will be a good game when it comes. Both might be Undefeated at the time, which would be quite exciting...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

Yes I'm serious sure you are getting good games now but how many of these are going to be memorable games 20 years from? Appalachian State, Yes but none of these other games are? Because of the lack of a actual definitive championship (meaning something not based on power rankings) all these great games get lost in history because they have little meaning. Seriously how many great memorable moments have the bowl system produced that stands out in the mind of casual sports fans 10-25 years later? Not many I can only think of three off the top of my head: Flutie's hail mary, Nebraska going for 2, and the band is on the field. I can name about a dozen NFL moments off the top of my head. The fact is those games have meaning. Essentially all of College Football is that closely fought Houston-Cleveland match-up. It has about as much meaning.

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

Yes I'm serious sure you are getting good games now but how many of these are going to be memorable games 20 years from? Appalachian State, Yes but none of these other games are? Because of the lack of a actual definitive championship (meaning something not based on power rankings) all these great games get lost in history because they have little meaning. Seriously how many great memorable moments have the bowl system produced that stands out in the mind of casual sports fans 10-25 years later? Not many I can only think of three off the top of my head: Flutie's hail mary, Nebraska going for 2, and the band is on the field. I can name about a dozen NFL moments off the top of my head. The fact is those games have meaning. Essentially all of College Football is that closely fought Houston-Cleveland match-up. It has about as much meaning.

College football is fun, but so is the NFL. In fact, I prefer the pro game over the college game (and pro sports in general, probably because I live in an area with at least two teams in the "four major sports") and I even like college basketball more than college football. I think that college football is fun, but to me (again, probably because I live near New York) it is almost a minor league of the NFL. I like minor league and college sports, but to me the best players in the world play in the top league. With that said, I still am a casual fan of college football. College football is awesome, but I like the pro game better. It is really just a matter of opinion to which one you like better.

Oh, and USF is awesome. Me and my brother were watching the game vs. Auburn because it was late last night. We were so happy when the Bulls pulled off the upset. I hope USF kills Rutgers. I hate Rutgers so much, largely due to the massive influx of Rutgers fans since 2006 that didn't even know the team existed before then. F :censored: Rutgers and these "fans". So many of the stupid ass seniors at my high school last year are going to Rutgers because they are now "fans". It is most definitely a shame that those "fans" walk around New Brunswick. I don't have beef with the team itself, they seem like a class, humble bunch. It is the fans I hate and I will never support Rutgers. With that said, if USF beats Rutgers when they play, I will denounce my undying love for them.

USF Wins in OT 26-23.

co-signed

But you forgot the best part about college football... the teams aren't gonna threaten to move to Palookaville, NC if the taxpayers don't pony up for a stadium that could otherwise be used to fund every public school in the city for the next 20 years.

Archived