"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has to be the fastest and most dramatic turn of a season in sports history. One minute you're number 5 and a national championship contender. Three hours later you're a punchline.

That's what makes this upset even MORE incredible, and further illustrates the volatility of college football. Even if they had lost to FIU, the fact still remains that their national championship dreams are OVER after just one week. The only motivation Michigan has right now is to win the Big 10 (which is looking EXTREMELY unlikely) and get to a BCS game. Because losing in the first week to a 1-AA school = Better luck next year, kids.

The next superstar to grace the pro football gridiron is desean jackson. Thats all i really took away from saturday. OH and that CJ Spiller will eventually become a heisman winner.

Both of which are on my NCAF-F team. Woot!

Anyways. TJ Yates looked good vs. James Madison 13/18, 220 yds, 3 TD's, 1 INT.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

This has to be the fastest and most dramatic turn of a season in sports history. One minute you're number 5 and a national championship contender. Three hours later you're a punchline.

That's what makes this upset even MORE incredible, and further illustrates the volatility of college football. Even if they had lost to FIU, the fact still remains that their national championship dreams are OVER after just one week. The only motivation Michigan has right now is to win the Big 10 (which is looking EXTREMELY unlikely) and get to a BCS game. Because losing in the first week to a 1-AA school = Better luck next year, kids.

Indeed, even if Michigan runs the table the rest of the way that one loss to Appalachian State will be enough to keep them out of the Top 25 deep into the season, if not for the whole thing. If they don't win the Big Ten title, never mind the BCS - they'll be lucky to get a bowl game played after Christmas, let alone New Year's Day. The New Orleans Bowl, against someone like North Texas, anyone?

CCSLC signature.png

Indeed, even if Michigan runs the table the rest of the way that one loss to Appalachian State will be enough to keep them out of the Top 25 deep into the season, if not for the whole thing. If they don't win the Big Ten title, never mind the BCS - they'll be lucky to get a bowl game played after Christmas, let alone New Year's Day. The New Orleans Bowl, against someone like North Texas, anyone?
If Michigan runs the table, they had better hope that Iowa doesn't run their Big Ten slate as well, or else they won't have a New Year's Day game.

LvZYtbZ.png

That'd be true....BUT,

1) The Big Ten, in addition to their BCS autobid, sends two other teams to January 1st bowls (Outback and Capital One Bowls).

2) A team's reputation for "traveling" usually means as much as record when it comes to handing out Bowl invitations.

So, given Michigan's reputation for sending fans en masse to games, if they have 3 losses or fewer, they should play on January 1st, or at least after Christmas.

*checks Iowa's schedule*

@Wisconsin and @Penn State?! They aren't running the table in Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That'd be true....BUT,

1) The Big Ten, in addition to their BCS autobid, sends two other teams to January 1st bowls (Outback and Capital One Bowls).

2) A team's reputation for "traveling" usually means as much as record when it comes to handing out Bowl invitations.

So, given Michigan's reputation for sending fans en masse to games, if they have 3 losses or fewer, they should play on January 1st, or at least after Christmas.

*checks Iowa's schedule*

@Wisconsin and @Penn State?! They aren't running the table in Conference.

I don't expect them to, but if they do, no matter what Michigan does, they can't win the Big Ten - Iowa would get it first due to the Rose Bowl Rule. Indiana's the same way.

LvZYtbZ.png

Iowa would get it first due to the Rose Bowl Rule. Indiana's the same way.
What is this rule?
Glad you asked. Basically, in the case of an unbreakable tie in the Big Ten, the team that got the BCS invite last is eliminated.

So theoretically, any BCS team besides OSU and UM could get it?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

What is this rule?
Glad you asked. Basically, in the case of an unbreakable tie in the Big Ten, the team that got the BCS invite last is eliminated.

Wow. Gotta love that wacky Big Ten.

What is this rule?
Well, here's what happens. If there's a tie between two teams at the top, and the top two teams did not play each other, whoever got the BCS invite from the Big Ten last gets eliminated. This means that Michigan will lose any of those ties, because the two teams they don't play both got their last BCS invite back in the early 90s (Iowa) or the 60s (Indiana). (Note: going past the BCS, you use the Rose Bowl bids.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Are you kidding me? Michigan still got quite a few votes in both polls. In the coaches poll, they got the second most votes of everybody not in the top 25, so they aren't too far out. If they run the table, how could you seriously say they still won't be ranked late in the season. This week they play Oregon, who is a very good team, and the week after next, they play #15 Penn State. In between them is Notre Dame, who didn't look too good in their first game. I think by week 4, if they are 3-1, they will be ranked for sure, if not before then. This is all of course only if they win those games.

MegatronSig2.jpg

If Michigan gets to 4-1 or 5-1 etc. they'll be back in the top 25. Hell, if they beat Oregon they might get back in depending on what else happens. Yes this was a huge upset but let's not get carried away here. If Michigan wins 6 games they'll get a bowl bid. If they go 8-4 or better they'll be in a decent bowl. They're still Michigan and the truth is if you're going to lose like they did then do it very early. The only good thing to come out of it for them is that at least this disaster happened in the first week of the season. Trust me, if it comes down to a BYU or Boston College type team or Michigan in an "after Christmas" bowl game , the bid is going to the Wolverines.

I must be mellowing with age. I can't believe I am here defending Michigan. Especially after all the BS I had to put up with from their whiney ass fans last year after we worked them over in Columbus. They were overrated then and they're clearly overrated now. There, now at least I came across a little like an Ohio State alum. :D

Seriously though, as of right now all the loss to App. State cost Michigan was any chance at a National Championship. (and of course any respect anyone had for them) They would need everyone else to have two losses and that ain't very likely. Otherwise, the rest is still very much in play...if they can recover. And I'm not betting on that to happen.

BB52Big.jpg

Notre Dame going 0-12 would top that for me :P

A-FRIGGEN-MEN!! this man has the right idea!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

If Michigan gets to 4-1 or 5-1 etc. they'll be back in the top 25. Hell, if they beat Oregon they might get back in depending on what else happens. Yes this was a huge upset but let's not get carried away here. If Michigan wins 6 games they'll get a bowl bid. If they go 8-4 or better they'll be in a decent bowl. They're still Michigan and the truth is if you're going to lose like they did then do it very early. The only good thing to come out of it for them is that at least this disaster happened in the first week of the season. Trust me, if it comes down to a BYU or Boston College type team or Michigan in an "after Christmas" bowl game , the bid is going to the Wolverines.

I must be mellowing with age. I can't believe I am here defending Michigan.

and i witnessed it.

jokes aside, damn that game was painful to watch and i missed most of it because of work. after all the arguing and all the fuss pre Rose Bowl, michigan goes and eliminates themselves early. good part about it is that now when i start talking tournament for d1, people won't label me a whiny michigan fan...unless they're REALLY bitter.

Uh oh. Trouble in the 'Ville.

31-28 Louisville

Wow, talk about a shootout. 59 points combined halfway through the 2nd quarter. :blink:

EDIT: Make that 66 points as Louisville scored to take a 38-28 lead.

And what's up with the huge nameplates on MTSU???

saBS.png

IMO, Middle Tennessee is the future of mid-major college football in that they have an offence that is the equal of BCS powers (See: Boise St., Hawai'i, MTSU, etc.) and as a result can trade scores with the big boys, but do not have a corresponding defence like national title contenders have.

Louisville's defence has been known to be suspect already, so it's no surprise a high-powered offence like MTSU will be able to keep up with Louisville.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived