"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

Any system which has Sun Belt and MAC teams in a playoff playing for a National Title has some serious flaws.

I'll direct your objections to the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Seriously...they won their Conference. That should be rewarding in some way more meaningful than a spiffy banner.

On Hawaii's weak schedule: 1) Were there ANY I-A teams available? Any I-AA teams better than a Northern Colorado squad that was in Division II 4 years ago?

2) Big boys don't want to go into no-win situations. You'd be better off trying to get middle-tier teams who might not be opposed to a home-and-home.

I'm crossing my fingers for Illinois...and if they get in, ROFLMAO at the Champ Sports Bowl for telling Michigan they wouldn't get a bid...and are either going to be forced to or find themselves taking a lower tier Big Ten team.

Also...welcome Coach Pelini! You've got your work cut out for you with the Blackshirts.

It's different when you have 64 teams because you're not putting these teams ahead of worthy teams nearly as much. You think an 8-5 Central Michigan team is more deserving than the #9 team in the country, Florida? That's the case in at least one of those scenario's presented.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a lot of plans similar to yours. It's a good idea but you're leaving out the key element that makes it impossible; money. I went over this in great detail in the BCS Playoff thread so I'll give the quick version here. I don't believe that the big conferences or network TV will ever go for a plan that guarantees a spot to every conference champion. Networks want the schools that pull big ratings. Small conference schools don't do that. So every year you'd be giving 5 spots to teams like CMU or Troy and every year 5 teams like Ohio State or Texas or Florida would be staying home. The money and the power won't allow that. They'll want a BCS style system of picking teams so the big schools always make up the most possible spots in the field. Your plan is fine but it's unrealistic. Money will always be the first consideration in any playoff plan. It's precisely why we have the system we have.
That may be true which is why my idea which I admit is ideal would have to be forced somehow. Still you can go with a system where it's just the top 8 teams by record with strength of schedule as tie-breaker. Again no human voting to determine who gets in and out.

As for my original 16 team playoff format here it is. I got lucky as there were only 4 two loss non-champion teams team ans 1 one loss non champion team so no tie-breaker is needed they all got in as at large. For seeding I went by the AP Rankings however that did no determine who got into the tournament or who was left out. It just determined who plays who. Here are the match ups. Reseed after each round.

1. Ohio State (11-1, Big Ten Champs)

16. Central Michigan (8-5, Mac Champs)

2. LSU (11-2, SEC Champs)

15. Troy (8-4, Sun Belt Champs)

3. Oklahoma (11-2, Big 12 Champs)

14. UCF (10-3, CUSA Champs)

4. Georgia (10-2, At-Large)

13. Boise State (10-2, At-Large)

5. Virginia Tech (11-2, ACC Champs)

12. BYU (10-2, Mountain West Champs)

6. USC (10-2, PAC-10 Champs)

11. Arizona State (10-2, At-large)

7. Missouri (11-2, At-Large)

10. West Virginia (10-2, Big East Champs)

8. Kansas (11-1, At-large)

9. Hawaii (12-0, WAC Champions)

To me that would be fun to watch. With exception of the Ohio State and LSU games all of those games can be won by either team playing. But still as mentioned it will probably be never adopted but to me this is the best system.

Point of order, Troy did not win the Sun Belt, Florida Atlantic did.

Yes, since FAU beat us yesterday, they won the majority share of the conference title since they got the SBC's bid to the New Orleans Bowl. Now, we just have to sit and wait, and hope that an at-large spot opens up for us in another bowl game. I've heard that the best shot is in the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft. Worth.

Any system which has Sun Belt and MAC teams in a playoff playing for a National Title has some serious flaws.

Seriously...they won their Conference. That should be rewarding in some way more meaningful than a spiffy banner.

On Hawaii's weak schedule: 1) Were there ANY I-A teams available? Any I-AA teams better than a Northern Colorado squad that was in Division II 4 years ago?

2) Big boys don't want to go into no-win situations. You'd be better off trying to get middle-tier teams who might not be opposed to a home-and-home.

I'm crossing my fingers for Illinois...and if they get in, ROFLMAO at the Champ Sports Bowl for telling Michigan they wouldn't get a bid...and are either going to be forced to or find themselves taking a lower tier Big Ten team.

Also...welcome Coach Pelini! You've got your work cut out for you with the Blackshirts.

It's different when you have 64 teams because you're not putting these teams ahead of worthy teams nearly as much. You think an 8-5 Central Michigan team is more deserving than the #9 team in the country, Florida? That's the case in at least one of those scenario's presented.

Florida...while they probably played the toughest Conference schedule in the country...should have taken care of business when they had the chance. If you can't win your conference, don't complain if you aren't one of the 5 top At Larges...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Florida...while they probably played the toughest Conference schedule in the country...should have taken care of business when they had the chance. If you can't win your conference, don't complain if you aren't one of the 5 top At Larges...

The point is that teams shouldn't get punished for playing in the top conferences. If you're going to have a playoff, take the best, and therefore, most worthy teams... or else we're right back at square one where perhaps more deserving teams don't get a chance, while less deserving teams do.

IUe6Hvh.png

The point is that teams shouldn't get punished for playing in the top conferences. If you're going to have a playoff, take the best, and therefore, most worthy teams... or else we're right back at square one where perhaps more deserving teams don't get a chance, while less deserving teams do.

For the record...assuming the BCS guys don't drop them, I'll be plugging them in.

If we're at the stage where you are the 4th team in your 12-team Conference, and wondering if you should get in, you didn't take advantage of opportunities that were given to you. I doubt a Conference would experience that level of dominance in the season.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For the record...assuming the BCS guys don't drop them, I'll be plugging them in.

If we're at the stage where you are the 4th team in your 12-team Conference, and wondering if you should get in, you didn't take advantage of opportunities that were given to you. I doubt a Conference would experience that level of dominance in the season.

Unless you only lost 3 games to, probably, ranked teams, while a team that lost 5 games gets in instead of you. The playoff is supposed to put an end to the controversy... don't you see how this creates it? A team that loses to Auburn, Georgia, and LSU -- two of those teams being in the tournament, btw -- in games where it's a bounce here, a bounce there and they win is infinitely more worthy of the tournament than a team that lost games to Kansas (52-7), Purdue (45-22), N. Dakota State (44-14), Clemson (70-14), and Eastern Michigan (48-45) by the scores that Central Michigan lost to them by. And they get in, why? Because they beat a 6-7 team in the MAC Championship? Not buying it.

If you want to truely crowd the best team... take the best 16, 8, or even 4 teams and play for the title. But to put an 8-5 MAC team in? Please.

Florida would be just as likely to win a 16 game playoff as any team in the country.

I guess ultimately, the fact is this... I'm not typically one to complain that the most "worthy team" is sitting on their couch watching the National Championship. If you come up with a system that I see fit to complain about... there's a problem, because I typically don't complain about the current, flawed system.

IUe6Hvh.png

God help me. I am agreeing with a Red Sox fan. :blink: Excellent point.

BB52Big.jpg

Unless you only lost 3 games to, probably, ranked teams, while a team that lost 5 games gets in instead of you. The playoff is supposed to put an end to the controversy... don't you see how this creates it? A team that loses to Auburn, Georgia, and LSU -- two of those teams being in the tournament, btw -- in games where it's a bounce here, a bounce there and they win is infinitely more worthy of the tournament than a team that lost games to Kansas (52-7), Purdue (45-22), N. Dakota State (44-14), Clemson (70-14), and Eastern Michigan (48-45) by the scores that Central Michigan lost to them by. And they get in, why? Because they beat a 6-7 team in the MAC Championship? Not buying it.

If you want to truely crowd the best team... take the best 16, 8, or even 4 teams and play for the title. But to put an 8-5 MAC team in? Please.

Florida would be just as likely to win a 16 game playoff as any team in the country.

I guess ultimately, the fact is this... I'm not typically one to complain that the most "worthy team" is sitting on their couch watching the National Championship. If you come up with a system that I see fit to complain about... there's a problem, because I typically don't complain about the current, flawed system.

Again...Florida's in.

Scanning the USA Today poll and the AP poll...Illinois, then Boston College, then Wisconsin or Tennessee, are the 1st 3 out. The top 12 teams in the country, according to the rankings, are in. That, IMO, is fair.

Those are 3 good teams, but honestly they stand as much a chance of winning a 16 team tournament as Central Michigan. Especially since they'd have to go on the road in the 1st Round according to the rams80 Mt. Dew NCAA Division I Football Playoffs.

In light of that...let the Conference champs in.

Today, we are all otaku.

Again...Florida's in.

Scanning the USA Today poll and the AP poll...Illinois, then Boston College, then Wisconsin or Tennessee, are the 1st 3 out. The top 12 teams in the country, according to the rankings, are in. That, IMO, is fair.

Those are 3 good teams, but honestly they stand as much a chance of winning a 16 team tournament as Central Michigan. Especially since they'd have to go on the road in the 1st Round according to the rams80 Mt. Dew NCAA Division I Football Playoffs.

Missed that part... but I do see now where you mentioned it. I think my points are still valid. CMU, a team that couldn't hang within 30 of any half way decent team isn't as capable as Boston College, etc... even if BC probably couldn't win it all.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's about treating all the conferences equally, if you are going to give an automatic birth to any tournament to a conference winner you have to give one to all the conference winners. If not why consider them a D-IA conference in the first place. Now if you go to a system that doesn't give automatic births based on winning a conference then they are out.

Again...Florida's in.

Missed that part... but I do see now where you mentioned it. I think my points are still valid. CMU, a team that couldn't hang within 30 of any half way decent team isn't as capable as Boston College, etc... even if BC probably couldn't win it all.

Your initial reasons for disqualifying CMU was "they can't win it." I was pointing out that the at large "snubs" can't either. My general philosophy is....with that in mind, you might as well reward a team for winning its Conference.

Oh well...BCS show is on. Since Nebraska is out of the postseason...

ILL-INI! Please...let's have their first Rose Bowl trip in my life!

Today, we are all otaku.

Illinois made it to the Rose Bowl to play USC. That's the first time they've been there since '84, when my dad went there. The only question now is who Ohio State is playing. I think LSU winning the championship yesterday is enough to boost them over Georgia.

EDIT: LSU is in.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hate to be the homer here, but two teams really got screwed here. Missouri and Arizona State.

Arizona State should be in the Fiesta Bowl, plain and simple in my mind. And I know everyone loves Hawaii but I honestly don't even think they should be in a BCS game. I understand they have beat everyone in front of them, but to go into overtime to SAN JOSE STATE!? That is not a BCS team in my mind. And I simply love everyone talking about how great a comeback they had last night to come back from 21 down, when the simple fact is that if they are that good of a team, you should never be down that much to a WEAK Washington team.

I know I am a homer and I wont hide that fact. But I really feel Arizona State got screwed along with Missouri.

PopHeading-1.gif

OK, someone has to tell me why Troy, at 8-4, gets passed over by 6-6 Cal for the Armed Forces Bowl?

That's a lot of hooey if you ask me. I thought an 8-4 team gets first dibs if there wasn't enough spots availible.

Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS! Crack them Yuckeyes!

Archived