"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I hope you're happy with the Buckeyes going in the back door because LSU is going to roll over them in the National Championship Game.

This will prove once and for all that the Big Ten is nothing then a bunch of crappy pansies.

and Illinois is 13. Your point?

For what it's worth...IMO the difference between these two teams is negligible. With that in mind, Arizona State does not have that much beef with the committee IMO.

Illinois has 3 losses. ASU has 2. That is enough reason for me that they should not be ahead of ASU in the selections. But whatever, that's the way the system is and the system is :cursing: ing flawed. I have final papers due this week and don't have time to argue over a flawed system that only cares about the $.

PopHeading-1.gif

I guess I'm stupid. I still don't get how OSU got in the back door to the BCS. They only lost one game, why all of the other teams (Hawaii excepted) lost two or more. How does that make the Buckeyes unworthy?

Infrared, just helpful suggestion: I'm willing to defend your team getting into the BCS because I can accept it on its merits. However, if you decide you need to gloat in every single post about your team gaming the system, I might have to lump you in with all of the Red Sox and Patriots zealots. There's nothing wrong with a little humble pie.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well, I hope you're happy with the Buckeyes going in the back door because LSU is going to roll over them in the National Championship Game.

<Lee Corso> Not so fast, my friend.</Lee Corso>

If Louisiana State didn't have such an eye-bulging 4th Down conversion rate this season, they would have at least four losses, considering they went in the vicinity of 9-for-9 in the 4th Quarters of the Florida and Auburn games.

More stuff to ponder about the BCS:

BCS Teams ranked by opponents' winning percentage from 2006 (FCS-wide rank in parenthesis):

1. Louisiana State (2)

2. Georgia (23)

3. Illinois (28)

4. West Virginia (33)

5. Southern California (37)

6. Ohio State (57)

7. Oklahoma (59)

8. Virginia Tech (62)

9. Kansas (65)

10. Hawai'i (96)

BCS Teams ranked by Strength of Schedule (Defined as [.67*{Opponents' Winning Percentage} + .33*{Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage}]) (FCS-wide rank in parenthesis)

1. Virginia Tech (3)

2. Louisiana State (4)

3. West Virginia (6)

4. Illinois (8)

5. Georgia (9)

6. Ohio State (11)

7. Oklahoma (17)

8. Southern California (42)

9. Kansas (55)

10. Hawai'i (105)

#1 and #2 in Strength of Schedule? Florida and Missouri. Arizona State you ask? 31st

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

and Illinois is 13. Your point?

For what it's worth...IMO the difference between these two teams is negligible. With that in mind, Arizona State does not have that much beef with the committee IMO.

Illinois has 3 losses. ASU has 2. That is enough reason for me that they should not be ahead of ASU in the selections. But whatever, that's the way the system is and the system is :cursing: ing flawed. I have final papers due this week and don't have time to argue over a flawed system that only cares about the $.

And we have a 2 loss team in the championship! Losses mean nothing this year! Rankings mean everything!

Although frankly...you'd have a better argument if there was a greater disparity in loss number...1 or 0 as opposed to 2.

Also...your "best" win is probably Oregon State. Perhaps the golf cart doth protest a wee bit too much.

EDIT-Thanks Fred for anticipating my question.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was surprised to see West Virginia go to the Fiesta. That could be a good matchup between the Mountaineers and Sooners.

I wasn't surprised to see Illinois go to the Rose Bowl. As was said earlier, the Rose Bowl will always try to go with Pac Ten vs. Big Ten. But I was hoping to see USC vs. Georgia -- boy, that would have been a GAME.

I'm kind of glad to see the Big 12 back in the Orange Bowl. The old Big 8 winner used to always go to the Orange Bowl. Now, which Big 12 team is going is highly debatable. Missouri did get screwed but, as they said on TV, they lost at the wrong time.

Poor Ohio State. Those losses by both West Virginia and Missouri yesterday is really going to hurt them. Now they have to play the SEC Champion again. The only question to be answered is, will LSU beat the 27-point spread that Florida set last year?

teams-1.png

This will prove once and for all that the Big Ten is nothing then a bunch of crappy pansies.

No genius, I am really unhappy about it. Why would I want my team in the title game when playing elsewhere would make you happy?

Poor Ohio State. Those losses by both West Virginia and Missouri yesterday is really going to hurt them. Now they have to play the SEC Champion again. The only question to be answered is, will LSU beat the 27-point spread that Florida set last year?

Yeah poor little Ohio State. Three title game appearances in 5 years. It really sucks to be us. All we did was go 11-1 while your beloved LSU was about three plays away from being very average.

Keep talking fellas.

BB52Big.jpg

USC showed Arizona State to be frauds.

If Arizona State keeps that game close they're BCS bowling... you can't get dismantled in your final game and expect the voters to not hold it against you. And the whole Illinois being in the Big Ten thing didn't help ASU.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yeah poor little Ohio State. Three title game appearances in 5 years. It really sucks to be us. All we did was go 11-1 while your beloved LSU was about three plays away from being very average.

Keep talking fellas.

The bad news for Ohio State is that Dorsey gets over a month to get healthy.

The good news is that LSU tends to not be focused at times....

I wish that ASU made the BCS. If that happened, with Illinois making the BCS as well, it would have opened an at-large bid for us in the Armed Forces Bowl. But, since we have such a small fan-base compared to the other teams in the at-large pot, we got shut out of the bowl picture this year.

USC showed Arizona State to be frauds.

If Arizona State keeps that game close they're BCS bowling... you can't get dismantled in your final game and expect the voters to not hold it against you. And the whole Illinois being in the Big Ten thing didn't help ASU.

Well for starters the USC wasn't ASU's last game but ok. Regardless it isn't as cut and dry as that. USC played their best game of the year against ASU, and it isn't just me saying this, every sports caster from ESPN to FOX Sports agreed USC was a completely different team against ASU and it was the best they had seen them in quite some time. And I know people get tired of the excuses, but ASU's star offensive player, Ryan Torrain, got hurt in the middle of the season and has been out the rest of the games. I know that is part of football, but Torrain was projected to go second overall RB in the draft and he was a KEY part of out offense. I know one guy doest make up the whole team but I just don't think it is fair to say ASU is a "fraud" just as I don't think you can call Oregon a fraud because they lost those games without Dixon.

But whatever, it does all come down to the fact that we didn't get the job done when we needed to against Oregon and USC. The Pac-10 championship and even the BCS championship was ours for the taken and we didn't get it done. I still think ASU deserves a spot in the Fiesta Bowl and I don't agree with a 3 loss team being ahead of them. But good luck to all the teams. I see a BCS schedule full of blow-outs this year, but I hope I will be surprised.

PopHeading-1.gif

I love the fact that Illinois is the Rose Bowl. I really wish they would have beat Iowa and this wouldn't be an issue at all. But their only bad loss was to Iowa. Michigan was on a roll at the time. Missouri was the number 1 team and should be in the Orange Bowl. They beat a 5 and a 1. I don't think its that horrible they got in, but at the same time there are more deserving teams. Perhaps ASU, a bit of Florida, but defiantly Mizzou.

I think the 2 team per conference rule is BS and one I never heard of until I found out Illinois could sneak into the Rose if enough crazy S went down, and it did. Mizzou got screwed royally. They should be in over Kansas no question, but then if they got in over Kansas, I'd say that Kansas got screwed a little as well.

I think if ASU went over Illinois, you'd hear the same argument from us Illinois fans saying that the Rose Bowl should be Big Ten-Pac 10. But we would have been happy playing in January after suffering though the last 4 years or so. A Florida-Illinois matchup would have been fun for sure.

Archived