"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

I think the 2 team per conference rule is BS and one I never heard of until I found out Illinois could sneak into the Rose if enough crazy S went down, and it did. Mizzou got screwed royally. They should be in over Kansas no question, but then if they got in over Kansas, I'd say that Kansas got screwed a little as well.

I believe that rule is in place to prevent one conference from collecting a lot of the BCS money....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FCS Semi-Finals:

Delaware @ Southern Illinois, Saturday 4pm, ESPN 2

Richmond @ Appalachian State, Friday 8pm, ESPN 2

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

and Illinois is 13. Your point?

For what it's worth...IMO the difference between these two teams is negligible. With that in mind, Arizona State does not have that much beef with the committee IMO.

Illinois has 3 losses. ASU has 2. That is enough reason for me that they should not be ahead of ASU in the selections. But whatever, that's the way the system is and the system is :cursing: ing flawed. I have final papers due this week and don't have time to argue over a flawed system that only cares about the $.

Preach. I hope USC slaughters Illinois and everyone sees what a bad matchup it was. Bring on the Horns!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

For what it's worth...IMO the difference between these two teams is negligible. With that in mind, Arizona State does not have that much beef with the committee IMO.

Illinois has 3 losses. ASU has 2. That is enough reason for me that they should not be ahead of ASU in the selections. But whatever, that's the way the system is and the system is :cursing: ing flawed. I have final papers due this week and don't have time to argue over a flawed system that only cares about the $.

Preach. I hope USC slaughters Illinois and everyone sees what a bad matchup it was. Bring on the Horns!

Can't be that much worse than how badly they slaughtered the Sun Devils.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think the 2 team per conference rule is BS and one I never heard of until I found out Illinois could sneak into the Rose if enough crazy S went down, and it did. Mizzou got screwed royally. They should be in over Kansas no question, but then if they got in over Kansas, I'd say that Kansas got screwed a little as well.

I believe that rule is in place to prevent one conference from collecting a lot of the BCS money....

Didn't think about that. I guess that makes sense from a money and f'd BCS stance. From a football stance there is no question in my mind Missouri should be in over at least Illinois if not a few others.

I'm not sure Arizona State-Oklahoma or Arizona State-Georgia would be any better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't stand the fact that Missouri got beat out of a BCS bowl game by Illinois and Kansas. Missouri beat Kansas to be the 2nd best team in the Big 12, plus we had a 29th ranked strength of schedule, while Kansas had the 109th! Not to mention we're still two spot ahead of them in the BCS standings, plus this now means we beat TWO BCS bowl teams. Shouldn't we deserve a spot, what BcS!

Also, Illinois!? Are you kidding me!? I thought you had to be in the top 12 to be considered a BCS bowl spot? Why take a three loss Illinois when there's a better two loss team in Arizona State? Who is in the top 12. Have Georgia play USC, which I think everyone (except Illinois fans of course) would like to see more, and then put Arizona State playing Hawaii, which could be a darn good match up as well.

I shouldn't even have to be saying these things, that's how stupid this whole thing is.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I can't stand the fact that Missouri got beat out of a BCS bowl game by Illinois and Kansas. Missouri beat Kansas to be the 2nd best team in the Big 12, plus we had a 29th ranked strength of schedule, while Kansas had the 109th! Not to mention we're still two spot ahead of them in the BCS standings, plus this now means we beat TWO BCS bowl teams. Shouldn't we deserve a spot, what BcS!

Also, Illinois!? Are you kidding me!? I thought you had to be in the top 12 to be considered a BCS bowl spot? Why take a three loss Illinois when there's a better two loss team in Arizona State? Who is in the top 12. Have Georgia play USC, which I think everyone (except Illinois fans of course) would like to see more, and then put Arizona State playing Hawaii, which could be a darn good match up as well.

I shouldn't even have to be saying these things, that's how stupid this whole thing is.

1) Top 14. The Top 12 clause is only for independents. Also...how is Arizona State decidedly better than Illinois? They played a weaker schedule than Illinois, and have 0 good wins. Arizona State's in the Top 12 because somebody has to be, they are the proud recipients of the Pac-10 halo, and Oregon fell through the floor following Dennis Dixon's injury.

2) I wouldn't be too quick to rip on Illinois as being "garbage" if I were you....they played your beloved Tigers closer than any team not named "Oklahoma"....with a backup quarterback. They came one freshman brain fart out of said backup within beating you.

3) The Sugar Bowl wants a SEC team. They do not want to be saddled with the midmajor that they only get because SOMEBODY has to take them, playing a BCS team that doesn't really travel well IIRC nor has a national following.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is not ONE single argument that can be made to justify Kansas getting in over Mizzou. Mizzou was ranked higher in every poll, including the frickin BCS Poll! It's downright BS!

Illinois, yeah we beat them. But as the 2nd Place Big Ten team within the necessary ranking range, they get the Big Ten spot in the Rose Bowl. That I can live with. But Kansas simply took the spot that belonged to Mizzou. That's all it is. You can't dress it up with, "Oh, they only had one loss" or... well, actually that's about the only thing going for them, and that loss was to Mizzou, so that's not a legit point anyway.

Mizzou got screwed. Plain and simple. Those BCS dumb@$$#$ don't know s***. And they say it was actually the Orange Bowl people who picked KU over Mizzou. Well, then, BCS guys, jump in and say it makes no sense to do that. Two sets of illogical morons does not make one logical set of morons.

Mizzou lost out to Kansas. They did not lose out to Illinois. Illinois and Missouri have no relationship in this situation. And yes, they got the shaft.

Arizona State and Boston College are the only ones that got beat out by Illinois.

Missouri definitely got screwed, and I feel for their fans. That is horse:censored: and everyone from here to Hawaii knows it, kansas fans know it. I have no idea what they were thinking.

If anything good comes from this season I hope it is some sort of a playoff. I've never been one to ask for a playoff but I can now see the reasons for having one. In this day and age of college football parity getting two teams with an undefeated record is becoming more and more rare which leads to the champions being decided off the field on ballots. if their was a playoff we would've gotten to see how good that Auburn team that went 13-0 actually was or we would've seen if USC actually deserved to be included in that split national championship. I've changed my mind, go to a playoff.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's only 2 teams with less than 2 losses... Ohio State and Hawaii... THAT should be the national championship.

Seriously, what's the point of even splitting Division 1 into two sub-divisions if we're just gonna create another heirarchy within the sub-division? Why punish the Hawaii's and Boise State's for being so good that the so called "big conference" schools are scared to play them?

As for the SEC fans being mad at the respective positions of Ohio State and Illinois. I love how they hype themselves up as a conference loaded with superpowers, then get mad when the teams round-robining each other works against them. You got one of your teams in the championship over a team that won all of its games and a bunch of others that only had 2 losses... stop b***hin'...

Illinois in the Rose Bowl is simply ridiculous.

I have to agree.

Isn't there that dumb rule where in the case of a tie for a Rose Bowl bid, the team that hasn't been there last gets the bid over the team that's there before? If that's the reason that Illinois got in, then I'm OK with it. It's a dumb rule, but it works.

Kansas getting into the BCS over Missouri is a travshamockery. That's all that needs to be said about that. Mizzou beat Kansas, they win their conference division, and they lose out to not only a team that they beat TO WIN the conference division, but their hated rival? Those Tiger fans have GOT to be heated right now.

And illwauk, who's mad about OSU and Illinois getting in? OSU and LSU were the two best teams left standing. LSU, who in the words of Les Miles, are undefeated in regulation and have lost their only 2 games in a combined 6 OTs, deserves to be there. OSU, although most of the Buckeye fans here know my stance on that team, they obviously deserve to be there since WVU and Missouri couldn't take care of business, and OSU's only loss ended up being to a team that's going to play in the BCS. So yeah, I'm not mad about it.

The one thing I am mad about is Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. Although I follow UGA, I still think that Hawaii got jobbed. It's not like they could've switched out Oklahoma and Hawaii and put OU in the Sugar Bowl and Hawaii in the Fiesta Bowl, so at least they don't have to travel half-a-hemisphere to play UGA in SEC country. I understand Hawaii nearly beat Alabama at Alabama, but this is a different story. This is the Sugar Bowl, right in the heart of SEC country, and if I had to guess, unless Hawaii's fans pull out a mass pilgrimage to the Superdome, I'd have to guess it's going to be 90% Dawg fans, 5% Hawaii fans, and 5% "We couldn't give a :censored: more so we'll pull for the underdog." fans. So yeah, I really think this is the selection committee's way of saying "Oh you wanna be in the BCS? Fine, go play there. You want it so bad, don't you?"

The one thing that I am ecstatic about...MSU in the Liberty Bowl. It's definitely going to be a tough challenge going up against that stud RB from UCF. That guy is 181 yds away from passing Barry Sanders on the season rushing list. That's crazy. But MSU's run D is tough. Should definitely be a good contest.

LOL @ Miami missing out on the bowl season altogether, GT going west of the Mississippi for a bowl game AGAIN, and the fact that there's going to be a true Texas Bowl between TCU and Houston.

Congrats to Ball State for making it to a bowl game when I figured that they were off struggling in obscurity somewhere, and congrats to Indiana for "playing 13."

well boy, that Mizzou/OSU debate was really a waste of time...

but on a more humble note, Missouri got totally shafted by the BCS. I see no harm in letting more than 2 conference teams in as long as they're deserving (so long as the major conferences get their bids, and the deserving mid-major school gets their spot as well)

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

There's only 2 teams with less than 2 losses... Ohio State and Hawaii... THAT should be the national championship.

Seriously, what's the point of even splitting Division 1 into two sub-divisions if we're just gonna create another heirarchy within the sub-division? Why punish the Hawaii's and Boise State's for being so good that the so called "big conference" schools are scared to play them?

As for the SEC fans being mad at the respective positions of Ohio State and Illinois. I love how they hype themselves up as a conference loaded with superpowers, then get mad when the teams round-robining each other works against them. You got one of your teams in the championship over a team that won all of its games and a bunch of others that only had 2 losses... stop b***hin'...

I wouldn't say the uber-elite programs are too scared necessarily to play them...(that implies foreknowledge that Hawaii or BSU would most likely win). It's just that there is FAR too little to gain out of playing a Boise State or a Hawaii, and WAY too much to lose. Cost-benefit scale says...schedule some weak team and hope Loki doesn't decide to hate your team's guts.

Win? So what....

Lose? ROFLMAO

What rational being would willingly put themselves into this situation...especially because, while not likely, ROFLMAO still has decent odds. :wink2:

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived