Official 2007 NFL season thread

tBBP

Also, dsgitlin, the thing you have to remember about Simmons is that he became a prominent writer because of his writing of Boston sports. A lot of people ride him about this, but it's essentially what made him famous. I personally enjoy his articles, because I'm a New England sports fan, but I could see how people who aren't don't enjoy his articles as much. I don't think it's a reason for Patriots hatred. If you don't like his stuff on New England sports, then don't read it. He's a homer. He admits it constantly.

I've been reading him for the better part of a decade. I'm very familiar with where he's from, where he went to school, where he lives now, his wife's favorite TV shows, his father's sadly progressing dementia, his friend's shameful mooching, his love of Tivo, his decreasing interest in poker, his one-man crusade to save the NBA, and finally, his progressively bitter writing propping up the Patriots. I know who Bill Simmons is. He's an excellent writer who puts together compelling pieces that, no matter his team allegiances, used to be interesting for everyone based on his humility and understanding of the relative importance of sports teams.

That's why it's so hard to read him now. He seems to have internalized Bill Belichek and the 2007 Patriots season. He seems, in my eyes, to have crossed the line from fan of a team to crusading soldier. Not only must he love, respect, and celebrate the Patriots, but he wants his readers to suffer through just how much we should love, respect, and celebrate that team. And he knows that it's frustrating his readership -- he comments on the hate mail he's getting in every column. I know this because he normally mentions in the first paragraph or two before the over-the-top Pats veneration kicks in. It's at that point I move on, and do exactly what you say, not read it.

Consider his last column. I normally enjoy his weekly pick-off, if only because he talks about every team in the league. This week's? Relegated to a sidebar box. The entire column is about how angry he is at last week's Colts/Patriots game. His team won the game! They faced what he considers to be overwhelming odds, and they overwhelmed them! So not only are the Patriots (of course) better than the Colts, they're not better by enough because the league conspires against them? What sense does that make? And I guess that's the point where he's internalized the Patriots -- whereas they (and he) used to win with grace, now they beat their opposition to a pulp. How is that fun for anyone?

Fair enough. I see your point. I suppose sometimes it's difficult for me to see because he's writing about my local teams. So are you saying then the focus of his articles are the reason for the hatred or his sentiment as the average New England sports fan?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the talk about Rod Rust (and Rich Kotite) got me thinking. Who will have more wins? The Rams and Dolphins combined, or Rich Kotite in his two-year Jets tenure (4)? Pushing is allowed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rams = 0 wins (Mainly because I'm an evil Seahawks fan and I'd love to see the Lambs suffer :P)

Dolphins = 1 win (They still get to play the NY Jets in Week 13, and they are just as bad as the 'Phins)

Rams = 0 wins (Mainly because I'm an evil Seahawks fan and I'd love to see the Lambs suffer :P)

Dolphins = 1 win (They still get to play the NY Jets in Week 13, and they are just as bad as the 'Phins)

Actually, 1 win would make us suffer more than 0 wins...

1 win, the team's just another horribly bad team.

0 wins...the team is legendary (not a good legendary, but still...legendary.) They will go down in NFL lore for eternity.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Silly me. I was looking for more NFL discussion. Of course, like most threads here, it's degenerated into running dick and fart jokes.

At least these jokes don't involve urination and/or windows.

Time for another Falcons game, and time for another game commentated by the Host of the Best Damn Sports Show Period. So this is what it's like at the bottom of the barrel, eh? You don't even get a real announcer for the games. :D

Way to "start your season" Rams... :wacko::rolleyes:

Today, we are all otaku.

In a whole 'nother development...Cleveland is taking it to the Steelers right now. As of now...14-6 Browns with just about 5:00 to go in the 1st half.

And Cleveland just got an interception.

It's only the first half...there are two in every football game. But um uh...Steelboys? Not looking so good.

BUT...there is a second half to play. And let me say this right now: I've been watching Derek Anderson most of the season, along with the Browns in general. This guy the B's have at QB is the REAL DEAL. And I think Jamal Lewis is on a mission to truck as many defenders as possible in that game. So far, Aaron Smith and Larry Foote done just got leveled by this cat.

And "Fast" Willie? Had a REAL nice run resulting from a spin-move off a would-be tackler...but couldn't get into the end zone. What happened next had to make the B's "D" feel good...held Pittsburgh to a field goal. Actually, two Steelers trips into the end zone...both times the Browns held them to a field goal. That's got to be pumping them up.

BUT...again I say, there's a whole 'nother half to play. And the Steelers could flip the whole damn script. Or, Cleveland can just keep pressing, pushing, and pounding. And throwing. And if that keeps up, people will be jumping out of windows tomorrow. No one will show up for work. And this city will turn pissy as hell tomorrow...the same way they do anytime the Steelers lose. But THIS time...it'll be against the Browns. And um uh...people are going to turn downright murderous around here.

But...AGAIN, there IS a whole 'nother half to play. And the Steelers can still come back to win it.

EDIT: how the HELL Braylon Edwards just managed to get them toes inbounds thisclose to the white border is completely beyond me...but then, I'm still trying to figure out how in the world Braylon caught that one ball against the Rams where he seemed to spin and float in mid-air. Either way...that tip-toe act won the Browns six more points. 21-6 Cleveland.

Time to get it together, Steelboyz...or Mark Madden gon' GETCHY'ALL on his post-game show.

(EDIT #2: Cleveland AGAIN holds Pittsburgh to a field goal. 21-9 Cleveland at the half.

Mike Tomlin might be doing his best impression of "The Chin" back there in that locker room right about now...cuz the Steelers is getting BEAT, big time. The "D" is holding, the "O" is lighting it up, and the special teams...can you say "Josh Cribbs"? They better get on the ball--figuratively and LITERALLY--in the second half, or it'll be CLEVELAND sitting atop the AFC North standings.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Way to "start your season" Rams... :wacko::rolleyes:

And after I post this...they score 17 unanswered to end the half. :blink:

Today, we are all otaku.

No one gave Jacksonville a chance against the Titans...I think the "Bowling Ball", Quinn Gray, and the rest of the Blaguars had other ideas.

13-3 at the half.

And, it appears, the Steelboys are re-discovering their groove. Watch carefully the facial expressions of the Browns players, and especially the coaches.

EDIT: 21-16 Cleveland. Here come the Steelboys. Let's see if the Browns lay down here or not. Still young, still learning. They looked good in the first half. BUT...like I been saying, it's a whole 'nother half now.

Let us see how this one shall go...should be muy interesante.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

And now the Steelboyz are up by three after a successful two-point conversion.

Okay, Browns...let's see how resolute you mettle is now...Pittsburgh is PUMPED. Can Cleveland overcome this deficit? Can they get a first down this quarter? (That might help them, being that they ain't had one all half.) What's up, Cleveland? Whatchy'all got???

EDIT: JOSH CRIBBS...THAT'S WHAT CLEVELAND GOT.

After Ben runs for a TD, Josh Cribbs strikes again...shoestrings the sideline, goes all the way for a TD! (We shall now see if that 2-point conversion makes any difference in the outcome of this game.)

Man...THIS is a good game, here. Pending challenge overrule and subsequent extra point should the play stand, 27-24 Cleveland.

I'm following this Bills games through Yahoo GameChannel, and it seems almost better that way. It's 10-10 nearing the end of the fourth, so there's some drama, but otherwise, it looks to have been a total stinker.

However, my man Marshawn with the clutch TD and two point conversion. Very, very nice.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm following this Bills games through Yahoo GameChannel, and it seems almost better that way. It's 10-10 nearing the end of the fourth, so there's some drama, but otherwise, it looks to have been a total stinker.

Reminds me of how I "watched" the Falcons game last week (while semi-researching for a paper)...it was dramatic, but it was a crappily (lol) played game.

31-28 Pittsburgh, at the 2:00 mark.

One first down, and this thang here is a wrap.

For what it's worth...this one here has been one helluva game. Back and forth, drama, arch-rivalry game. Between two teams that don't like each other. Hmmm...so far, it's been the tale of two halves. First one...all Cleveland. Second one...all Pittsburgh--well, except for Josh Cribbs's shoestring act.

And now, since Ben done got stopped, Pittsburgh punts. Let's see what Cleveland does...all they need is a FG to tie. (I knew I should have typed this a couple posts up...but, if Cleveland somehow manages to get a FG out of this, how big a difference now does that 2-point convo the Steelers converted earlier in the game make? Questions, questions...)

Steelers win. I wanted it to go to overtime.

Goodnight, Cleveland.

Valiant effort at the end...but why throw to the middle of the field when you know you ain't got no time-outs?

Either way, the Pittsburgh defense rose up when they needed to, as per their MO...and the game is now in the books as another Steelers victory.

And now eyes turn toward the first weekend in December...when these boys go up to vist the Hoody at Gillette Stadium. (The players will say they ain't looking forward to that game. THEY ARE...they just won't be FOCUSED on it until the week of the game. They still gotta take care of business in the interim.)

I could make a "just got owned post"...but rather will reflect on the win, and how the Rams still almost let it slip away in the 4th Quarter. I guess that would have meant the end of Linehan if the Saints had completed the comeback, though.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived