Official 2007 NFL season thread

tBBP

The 49ers are the absolute worst team in the NFL. Even the Rams & Dolphins are better then they are.

"With the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select..."

Way to go San Fran....

(And no, I'm not going to criticize the NFL's punishment of the Patriots for being toothless. There's no way we could have expected San Francisco, with all they did in the offseason, to be this bad. That said, I wish Goodell had said, "we are stripping you of your best draft pick if you make the playoffs" rather than taking a late 1st rounder.)

I see your point, but I think keeping punishments to each team's earned draft choices rather than acquired ones is the right move. If you took the best pick away, you're actually taking away not just the pick, but everything used to acquire the pick, too. In this case, that means taking away two late first round picks, when you wanted to take away one, because the Pats lost their pick last year in order to get this pick this year. Granted, they also got a 4th in the trade, but you get the idea.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Sal Paolantonio at ESPN:

"If the Pats hoist Vince on Feb. 3 in Arizona -- and go undefeated in the process -- let's make no mistake about it: They will be the best Super Bowl team ever. And it won't even be close"

He is also pretty blunt in his new book about players, teams, coaches & moments that are overrated and underrated in NFL history.

"If the Pats hoist Vince on Feb. 3 in Arizona -- and go undefeated in the process -- let's make no mistake about it: They will be the best Super Bowl team ever. And it won't even be close"

He is also pretty blunt in his new book about players, teams, coaches & moments that are overrated and underrated in NFL history.

Is it fair to say that, though? Let's face it...the talent dilution in the NFL today has made it easier for good teams to look great. This year especially, where there only appears to be a couple of good teams, and a whole host of bad ones, while the Patriots schedule may not be as weak as the '72 Dolphins' was, it's still one of the easier ones.

I'm still going to side with the '85 Bears...mind you, it'd be a close one, probably 24-20 if they were to play....but I go with the Bears.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is it fair to say that, though? Let's face it...the talent dilution in the NFL today has made it easier for good teams to look great. This year especially, where there only appears to be a couple of good teams, and a whole host of bad ones, while the Patriots schedule may not be as weak as the '72 Dolphins' was, it's still one of the easier ones.

I'm still going to side with the '85 Bears...mind you, it'd be a close one, probably 24-20 if they were to play....but I go with the Bears.

In my opinion, it's tough to argue that the '85 Bears are the best team in NFL history, simply because they did lose a game to a mortal, lesser team. The '72 Dolphins didn't lose a game. If the '85 Dolphins could beat the '85 Bears, why couldn't the '72 Dolphins? The teams don't have any control of scheduling, and thus making it a dishonest arguement.

In my opinion, it's tough to argue that the '85 Bears are the best team in NFL history, simply because they did lose a game to a mortal, lesser team. The '72 Dolphins didn't lose a game. If the '85 Dolphins could beat the '85 Bears, why couldn't the '72 Dolphins? The teams don't have any control of scheduling, and thus making it a dishonest arguement.

I would hardly call a 12-4 Conference finalist playing at its home mortal, but...

OK, you want a viable argument? I'd say the '85 Bears defense would take away Moss et al., and the Patriots lack of a viable running game would end up costing them. Much like said lack of a running game is why they will lose at some point this season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, Paolantonio's writing this because he's a stooge for ESPN, and ESPN wants us to think that the 2007 Patriots are the 1337 team in NFL history. I take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Colts' Freeney placed on Injured Reserve; Out for Season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3110140

The fork is just about to be driven into the Colts. I don't see how they regroup on defense from this. Losing Freeney is huge.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Imagine that, an ESPN guy starting the "greatest ever" bull- :censored:. Please...

I'm with Rams80 on this. The NFL, short of about 5 teams, is a complete joke this year. It's like we have two SEC teams and a three Big 10 teams playing in the MAC. If New England runs the table (which they won't) they'll certainly be better than the '72 Dolphins (who went 17-0 under similar circumstances) but they'll be nowhere close to the "best ever."

The 1989 49ers would hang 50 on The Patriots without breaking a sweat.

The 1985 Bears would easily hold the Patriots under 20 points.

The 70's Steelers would pound them into the turf.

The 90's Cowboys would beat hell out of them as well.

Go back and look at the rosters of those teams compared to this year's Patriots.

If I were to compare this New England team to a previous Super Bowl champion I'd say this year's Patriots most closely resemble the 1984 49ers. A great team but hardly the "best ever." Why? Because, despite ESPN throwing the phrase out there every chance they get, there is no way to determine "best ever." :censored: Sal Paolantonio. Who the hell is he to make a statement like it's some definitive truth?

My not so humble opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

The fork is just about to be driven into the Colts. I don't see how they regroup on defense from this. Losing Freeney is huge.

The Colts got the proverbial fork stuck up in them after they lost to the Patriots...the Chargers only served to further prove that point. But yeah...losing Freeney on top of all the injured players they've already lost...boy, they better conjure up some serious cojones quick, cuz it ain't lookin' so good. Maybe they'll be able to overcome it, maybe they won't...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That sound you hear is 1) the collective sigh of relief from Pats fans and 2) the last bit of air escaping the Colts' hot air balloon.....

Oh well, this season was fun. At least the Dodgers' season starts in April :D

espnsig.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...y.ap/index.html

They claimed Simeon Rice off waivers from Denver on Monday. Is he anywhere near as effective as he was in Tampa Bay?

Nope... he was barely getting playing time in Denver.

Interesting (infuriating to me) note about Simeon Rice. You know how the they do that video of the players saying where they went to school? I've never seen him actually say he went to Illinois. He always makes up some school, like "Player University."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...y.ap/index.html

They claimed Simeon Rice off waivers from Denver on Monday. Is he anywhere near as effective as he was in Tampa Bay?

Nope... he was barely getting playing time in Denver.

Interesting (infuriating to me) note about Simeon Rice. You know how the they do that video of the players saying where they went to school? I've never seen him actually say he went to Illinois. He always makes up some school, like "Player University."

I recall him saying school of hard knocks as well.

Tool.

Today, we are all otaku.

If the Pats go undefeated at the end of this season, these are the two things I hope will happen:

1) ESPN will annoint them as "Teh Gr8tezt Evar" going into the playoffs.

2) Pats roll through playoffs, ESPN goes to Arizona and pulls a "USC in 2005" and pits the 07 Patriots against all the greatest Super Bowl teams. Of course, everybody in ESPN picks the Pats to beat everybody.

3) Pats lose to some team from the NFC in Super Bowl XLII. ESPN pulls a "Texas in 2005" and immediately backtracks on everything said about the Pats, acting like their season never happened, yet claims this game as the Greatest Game of All Time.

If that happens, that would be the bees-knees. (...lmao.)

If the Pats go undefeated at the end of this season, these are the two things I hope will happen:

1) ESPN will annoint them as "Teh Gr8tezt Evar" going into the playoffs.

2) Pats roll through playoffs, ESPN goes to Arizona and pulls a "USC in 2005" and pits the 07 Patriots against all the greatest Super Bowl teams. Of course, everybody in ESPN picks the Pats to beat everybody.

3) Pats lose to some team from the NFC in Super Bowl XLII. ESPN pulls a "Texas in 2005" and immediately backtracks on everything said about the Pats, acting like their season never happened, yet claims this game as the Greatest Game of All Time.

If that happens, that would be the bees-knees. (...lmao.)

and i hope its tony romo and cowboys who does it too. unfortunately thats not going to happen and NEw ENgland will in 89-0, just like in madden 07 :cursing: .

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived