Official 2007 NFL season thread

tBBP

Wow.... So, much for me thinking the Bills were "getting over-looked". The Patriots are a machine in every sense of the word. It's hard to imagine that they are just kicking a$$ and taking names EVERY week. I guess the closest game was when they beat Cleveland 34-17... which was 27-17 before the fumble return for a TD in the last minute. Even though... that game was still 20-0 at the half.

So, I may hate the network hype and the so-called pre determined AFC Championship Game in New England. The Patriots are just an awesome team. After watching the game last night I realize that they really aren't running up the score. Buffalo (and other teams) just can not stop them. To kick a FG with a huge lead seems more like running it up, rather than going for it on 4th. They gave Buffalo an opportunity to "earn" the ball back on downs.

I am happy to see the Browns win that game IN Baltimore. It was a bit more special to have the fans scurry back in their seats, just in time to see the Browns win. Cleveland's D will haunt them for the remainder of the year. We know that going in to each week. They do have an incredible Special Teams and a very strong Offense. Cribbs had an insane amount of return yards!!!!!!! It's nice to know that they can simply address the D in the off-season and draft.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow.... So, much for me thinking the Bills were "getting over-looked". The Patriots are a machine in every sense of the word. It's hard to imagine that they are just kicking a$$ and taking names EVERY week. I guess the closest game was when they beat Cleveland 34-17... which was 27-17 before the fumble return for a TD in the last minute. Even though... that game was still 20-0 at the half.

Closest game, I'd say, was the 24-20 win at Indianapolis (with the Dallas game being a close second).

So, I may hate the network hype and the so-called pre determined AFC Championship Game in New England. The Patriots are just an awesome team. After watching the game last night I realize that they really aren't running up the score. Buffalo (and other teams) just can not stop them. To kick a FG with a huge lead seems more like running it up, rather than going for it on 4th. They gave Buffalo an opportunity to "earn" the ball back on downs.

*Thank* you. Finally, someone talking with some logic. I commend you.

They did beat Dallas last season, so if they can beat them at home

You said it yourself. "Last year both teams were totally different than they are this year, though."

Or does that only apply to college football?

Just wondering. :D

Just let it go, man. :P

They are different, I think Detroit and Dallas are both better than they were last year. I was just saying they weren't supposed to beat Dallas last year, and they did, so it is a possibilty. And I did say they beat them last year, and IF they can beat them again, so at least give me a little bit of credit. ^_^

How about you stop talking out both sides of your mouth and then I'll give you some credit.

BB52Big.jpg

Closest game, I'd say, was the 24-20 win at Indianapolis (with the Dallas game being a close second).

The Patriots weren't running up the score. They had very little running game, so they had to throw, plus they took all of there starters out in the fourth quarter. But if you can't stop the pass, you deserve getting 56 points put up on you.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

The Patriots weren't running up the score. They had very little running game, so they had to throw, plus they took all of there starters out in the fourth quarter. But if you can't stop the pass, you deserve getting 56 points put up on you.

I agree. When the Patriots start worrying about not making a team look bad or trying not to score is when they'll screw around and lose a game. They can only play the teams on their schedule. If those teams can't stop them what are The Pats supposed to do? How many times have we seen a team jump out to a big lead (Cleveland) then go all conservative and end up losing the game? The Patriots are just that much better than everyone else. They can't try not to score. People get hurt playing like that and teams lose games playing like that. If you don't want to give up 56 points then make better personnel decisions in the off season. At least that's what I think.

BB52Big.jpg

They went for it on 4th and 1 late in the 3rd Quarter. That's running up the score no matter how you cut it. Somebody needs to go "old school" on Tom Brady and Randy Moss. <_<

I'm sure there are enough NFL fans who'd be willing to help pay the fine that player would incur.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They went for it on 4th and 1 late in the 3rd Quarter. That's running up the score no matter how you cut it. Somebody needs to go "old school" on Tom Brady and Randy Moss. <_<

I'm sure there are enough NFL fans who'd be willing to help pay the fine that player would incur.

* Sigh. Okay kids, one more time for the cheap seats....This is professional football! This isn't Pee-Wee, or high school, or college. This is the highest level, where people are paid an ungodly amount of money to play the very best game possible. This is their JOB! There are no niceties required to take on one another. If a team doesn't wish to get plastered, they need to play better/sign better players/better coaches/better chemistry. I expect my team to do their best week in and week out, just as I also expect that if they don't want to have their heads handed to them by another team, that they either step up their game, or accept their shortcomings and do something to rectify it for next time.

And to many of you crybabies out there- I'd rather doubt any one of you would ever dare speak out against your own team if they were the ones destroying their opponents week in and week out. You'd do what any fan would do; sit back enjoy the ride for as long or as short as it lasted and say, "That's the nature of the game." Many of you whine about some non-existent code of honor when it isn't your team that's delivering the punishment.

And by the way, does this also apply to playoff games too? I seem to recall a game in Buffalo a few years ago where the Houston Oilers had a lights out score in the first half, only to watch the Bills come storming back to win. What about Super Bowls? More often than not Super Bowl Games tending to turn into woodshed beatings, should we cry about that too? Mayne we should spare the losing teams feels and spot them a few extra points too? I know nobody want to see their team being embarrassed on the field of play- but wouldn't it be worse to know the other team was taking it easy because your team couldn't take it? Part of being a professional athlete is being able to take your lumps too.

Bottom line is, if you want you team to win- be the better team. Cheap shots are not going to alter that. If you don't want a team to score on you- stop them. Until the NFL imposes a mercy rule- I want all teams to play full throttle every game from start to finish. And yes, if that means watching my team getting crushed too, well at least that will help put some things in realistic perspective- heaven knows I've had to sit through more than my share of those games too.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I have no real problem with the Patriots running up the score. It's professional football, they should play as hard as they can. However I would find it hilarious if Tom Brady or Randy Moss or any other key Patriot got injured during one of these plays. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that opposing players should take cheap shots. I'd just think it'd be hilarious if the Patriots lost Tom Brady, on a clean hit, when they were going for it on 4th down when they were up 30+ points.

They did beat Dallas last season, so if they can beat them at home

You said it yourself. "Last year both teams were totally different than they are this year, though."

Or does that only apply to college football?

Just wondering. :D

Just let it go, man. :P

They are different, I think Detroit and Dallas are both better than they were last year. I was just saying they weren't supposed to beat Dallas last year, and they did, so it is a possibilty. And I did say they beat them last year, and IF they can beat them again, so at least give me a little bit of credit. ^_^

How about you stop talking out both sides of your mouth and then I'll give you some credit.

What?

Just leave it alone. You obviously don't like me, I get it, and really don't care. You don't want to get along, quit replying to me then. You didn't agree with what I said in one topic. You don't need to bring it to other topics too.

To stay on topic, I don't see how anyone is going to beat the patriots this year. I don't see a problem with them going for it on fourth down. They know if a team somehow gets lucky enough to stop them three times, they won't stop them a fourth. These are grown men, if they can't handle a team beating them by a lot, maybe they shouldn't be in the NFL.

MegatronSig2.jpg

* Sigh. Okay kids, one more time for the cheap seats....This is professional football! This isn't Pee-Wee, or high school, or college. This is the highest level, where people are paid an ungodly amount of money to play the very best game possible. This is their JOB! There are no niceties required to take on one another. If a team doesn't wish to get plastered, they need to play better/sign better players/better coaches/better chemistry. I expect my team to do their best week in and week out, just as I also expect that if they don't want to have their heads handed to them by another team, that they either step up their game, or accept their shortcomings and do something to rectify it for next time.

And to many of you crybabies out there- I'd rather doubt any one of you would ever dare speak out against your own team if they were the ones destroying their opponents week in and week out. You'd do what any fan would do; sit back enjoy the ride for as long or as short as it lasted and say, "That's the nature of the game." Many of you whine about some non-existent code of honor when it isn't your team that's delivering the punishment.

And by the way, does this also apply to playoff games too? I seem to recall a game in Buffalo a few years ago where the Houston Oilers had a lights out score in the first half, only to watch the Bills come storming back to win. What about Super Bowls? More often than not Super Bowl Games tending to turn into woodshed beatings, should we cry about that too? Mayne we should spare the losing teams feels and spot them a few extra points too? I know nobody want to see their team being embarrassed on the field of play- but wouldn't it be worse to know the other team was taking it easy because your team couldn't take it? Part of being a professional athlete is being able to take your lumps too.

Bottom line is, if you want you team to win- be the better team. Cheap shots are not going to alter that. If you don't want a team to score on you- stop them. Until the NFL imposes a mercy rule- I want all teams to play full throttle every game from start to finish. And yes, if that means watching my team getting crushed too, well at least that will help put some things in realistic perspective- heaven knows I've had to sit through more than my share of those games too.

Here's the thing...what Belichick and the Patriots are doing is unprofessional. To be a professional, you have to assign a certain level of respect to your opponent and fellow professional. The Patriots don't do that. Professionals would do what was needed to be done to win the game, but they would then take off some of the pressure so as to not drive their fellow professionals in the ground. That is one of the big reasons why the Patriots are set to "shatter" all these offensive records with an offensive "juggernaut" of Randy Moss and a band of serviceable wideouts; every other offensive powerhouse of the past had enough respect for their fellow professionals to not run up the score week in and week out.

As for the deliberate injury...you say "stop us", that may be the only way for some teams. (And watching Cassel play...the Patriots may have begun to sacrifice the depth that was a hallmark of their earlier teams, so hurting Brady would "stop" the Patriots) "Any Given Sunday" is a load of felgercarb spewed out by the NFL PR office, occasionally demonstrated by freak games, but not regular enough to be used as a sign of parity. It could take years for some teams to develop a good defense, or a good offense if teams want to put up enough points to keep up, with their efforts hampered by a salary cap.

As for myself, if the Rams did this more often than not I would be VERY unhappy. I might take this once a year, especially against San Francisco or Seattle, but beyond that...respect your fellow professionals. And before somebody drags out the GSOT Rams of 1999-2001, I can only think of one time in that 3-year span where the Rams went out of their way to run up the score on a team...against San Diego in 2000 (which was essentially retribution on Rodney Harrison for ending Trent Green's season the pre-season before.) Keep in mind that 2000 team with the gaudy offensive stats also had a horrible defense (UNLIKE the Patriots), so they had a legitimate need to score in order to stay ahead.

Upon further checking...hosting New Orleans in 1999 I would call running it up, and the 2001 team did its fair share of scoring in the 4th (although I'm not sure how many of those late TDs were the result of bombs, and how many were the result of terrific running by Rams players after getting the ball.) I will point out it seemed to stop for the most part after a well publicized incident against the Jets where the Rams caught all sort of flak for running up the score for attempting an onside kick when they were winning...without any of the defense the Patriots get from the media. <_<

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

stop calling us cheaters and saying that all our super bowl wins are now forever tainted by spygate and we'll stop running teams into the ground to prove that we're that much better than the rest of the teams in the league. regards, New England Patriots.

i feel really REALLY bad for the dolphins right now. you want to see what running up the score is, watch that one. pats are gonna score 100 points just to stick it to the undefeated dolphins team that can't stop running their mouths from the past.

now that that's taken care of, pistons, i gotta ask you how we stop the cowboys offense. i just don't think we can do it, not that we won't try, but i unless we bring the wood like we did against the broncos i'm seeing a flashback to the :cursing:'n eagles game. i'm liking us against the vikes and the chiefs. not so sure about the bolts, and going into lambeau, though i'd love to see wins there too. lions surprise green bay thursday?

stop calling us cheaters and saying that all our super bowl wins are now forever tainted by spygate and we'll stop running teams into the ground to prove that we're that much better than the rest of the teams in the league. regards, New England Patriots.

i feel really REALLY bad for the dolphins right now. you want to see what running up the score is, watch that one. pats are gonna score 100 points just to stick it to the undefeated dolphins team that can't stop running their mouths from the past.

now that that's taken care of, pistons, i gotta ask you how we stop the cowboys offense. i just don't think we can do it, not that we won't try, but i unless we bring the wood like we did against the broncos i'm seeing a flashback to the 'n eagles game. i'm liking us against the vikes and the chiefs. not so sure about the bolts, and going into lambeau, though i'd love to see wins there too. lions surprise green bay thursday?

I am not so sure we can stop Dallas. We are going to have to get some big turnovers probably, And the offense will just have to stay up with the offense of the Cowboys. Yesterday, towards the end of the game, you could see how explosive the Lions offense can be, especially on the 4 play, 4 completion, 82 yard TD drive. Th lst drive was looking great too, until McDonald tipped the ball up in the air. If the offense plays more agressively, they might be able to keep up with Dallas. We seem to surprise at least one team a year, and it just might be that one, or so I hope. As far as Thursday, I think Detroit MUST win that game, and they could.

MegatronSig2.jpg

now that that's taken care of, pistons, i gotta ask you how we stop the cowboys offense. i just don't think we can do it, not that we won't try, but i unless we bring the wood like we did against the broncos i'm seeing a flashback to the 'n eagles game. i'm liking us against the vikes and the chiefs. not so sure about the bolts, and going into lambeau, though i'd love to see wins there too. lions surprise green bay thursday?

I am not so sure we can stop Dallas. We are going to have to get some big turnovers probably, And the offense will just have to stay up with the offense of the Cowboys. Yesterday, towards the end of the game, you could see how explosive the Lions offense can be, especially on the 4 play, 4 completion, 82 yard TD drive. Th lst drive was looking great too, until McDonald tipped the ball up in the air. If the offense plays more agressively, they might be able to keep up with Dallas. We seem to surprise at least one team a year, and it just might be that one, or so I hope. As far as Thursday, I think Detroit MUST win that game, and they could.

i'm hoping so, since it'll be the first game of theirs i'll see in my home instead of in a bar surrounded by angry bengals fans so i'll actually get to enjoy it instead of telling people that carson's accuracy is suspect so its not the wideout's fault that he gets laid out nearly every play and they haven't had a lot of yac this season. being a lions fan in cincy is hard man.

are there any bengals fans here? if so can i ask you to watch the mistakes EVERYONE makes and not just the ones that chad johnson makes before you start criticizing. two of palmers int's sunday go for scores, but all anyone talks about here is the ONE fumble that chad lost. just so you know, you WILL miss him when he's gone.

yeah...sorry.

anyway, if nothing else i'd like to see us split green bay and get 9 wins out of the regular season and upset someone as the wildcard so kitna's prediction would still be right. btw, how great is it to be talking about the lions in the playoffs again? :D

Wow.... So, much for me thinking the Bills were "getting over-looked".

Hey Toronto... you sure you still want these clowns playing in your city, stinking up a perfectly good SkyDome Rogers Centre, even for just one game a year?

CCSLC signature.png

for the running up the scoreboard issue. I personally don't care if teams want to run up the score and break the century mark. i do it all the time in madden, if the defense can't stop me, then i am taking 80 something points on there ass until they can find a way of stopping me.

as for the cowboys, they are paper tigers. i'm enjoying the 9-1 start but i'm not convinced this team is as good as the record states. The game with the lions will be a trap game as they will probably think they have already had won it before playing it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

This Patriots thing is simple to me. You kick the field goal after Matt Cassel, not Brady, leads the drive. Why? They're going to slow down in a hurry if Brady gets injured. So let's go to one of those 4th and 1 plays, up by 30+ points late in the game. Brady's still in and they go for it. A blind-side blitzer decks Brady and puts him out for the season. They won't look so smart any more, will they? It just might happen, and while I don't want to see any player injured, if it does it'll serve Belichick and the Patriots right.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That's how I feel about it. If the Pats want to risk injury to their stars by letting them play during garbage time... let 'em. If they want to alienate everyone to the point that no one has their back when someone takes a cheap shot at Brady or Moss... let 'em do that too.

This Patriots thing is simple to me. You kick the field goal after Matt Cassel, not Brady, leads the drive. Why? They're going to slow down in a hurry if Brady gets injured. So let's go to one of those 4th and 1 plays, up by 30+ points late in the game. Brady's still in and they go for it. A blind-side blitzer decks Brady and puts him out for the season. They won't look so smart any more, will they? It just might happen, and while I don't want to see any player injured, if it does it'll serve Belichick and the Patriots right.

Matt Cassel played the entire fourth quarter in the Buffalo game. And "running up the score" would be kicking the field goal on that 4th & 1 play. Running an actual play gives the Buffalo defense a chance to stop them and have the ball on downs. What are the Pats supposed to do, kneel the friggin ball and just give it to them? If the defense can't stop them when they're gift-wrapping them an opportunity to do so, tough :censored:.

Matt Cassel played the entire fourth quarter in the Buffalo game. And "running up the score" would be kicking the field goal on that 4th & 1 play. Running an actual play gives the Buffalo defense a chance to stop them and have the ball on downs. What are the Pats supposed to do, kneel the friggin ball and just give it to them? If the defense can't stop them when they're gift-wrapping them an opportunity to do so, tough :censored:.

I call BS.

Based on how both teams had played up to that point, do you honestly think that play would have ended in any way other than a Patriots First Down? Kicking the figgie is the more merciful option.

If they haven't stopped the Patriots 1st team all night, chances are they weren't going to then. Although stop taking your defense points from a media that has once again compromised itself so as to have any sort of story for this NFL season.

As for Cassel playing....I wonder if he would have if there wasn't that pick 6 after the last offensive score.

Today, we are all otaku.

Both sides get paid. These aren't high school kids, these are professionals, which means it's a job. Since it's a matter of a job, it's not the Cheaters' job to stop themselves, it's the defense's job. If these defenses can't do their jobs, they end up on the business end of 56-10, 52-7, etc.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived