Al Hopkins rips off Sports Logo

WJMorris3

Yes, but as your own signature proves, there are countless ways of representing a star without "borrowing" the very specific, proportioned, double outlined, trademarked representation of one. Heck, if he'd even just have changed the color it would have been okay.

That he also decided to help himself to Johns Hopkins' wordmark in the process just seals the deal.

How lazy can you get? I sure hope he didn't actually pay a designer for any of this stuff.

I think those stars on this website look kinda familiar...

Well after all, they are... STARS. Give me a break.

There is a discussion going on in the 'Hornets Alt logo' thread that kind of relates to this. Somebody made the comment about the N.O. Saints and whether or not they could claim the 'fluer de lis' as their own. Problem is that the fleur de lis is a symbol used by so many organizations that the general symbol can't be trademarked, kind of like a star. BUT, the Saints can trademark THEIR black and gold fleur de lis because it is a very specific and easily distinguishable symbol of their organization. Same thing applies to the Cowboys. They can't claim the star as their own, but they can claim their very specific blue double-outlined star as a trademarked symbol of the organization. Its pretty obvious that the Hopkins camp didn't just use any old star...they used the Cowboys trademarked symbol. That is illegal unless they were given permission or are a pee wee football team. Judging by the picture, I don't think Hopkins (who doesn't seem to miss many meals) can make weight for the pee wees. :P

Yeah, it's the difference between using *a* star or *a* fleur-de-lis vs. the Cowboys' star or the Saints' fleur de lis. I guess there's a gray area that depends on whether the specific star is unique or distinguishable enough, but it certainly seems that the Cowboys is - since we all immediately recognize it.

He, on the other hand, is the very model of physical beauty.

Oh, he's nothing special either. I was reacting more to the fact that she's even there. How does that make me vote for him?

Anyway, an attorney general wantonly ripping off sports logos (probably not his choices, but still doesn't look good) makes me question his qualifications a bit. And if I can crudely invoke some stereotypes about Mississippi, I don't think most folks would bother caring.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

He didn'r rip off the Cowboys' double star. If you go to his website and look at one of his campaign fliers, he alternates the double-star in both blue and red.

Actually, the double-star looks very similar to one of the marketing logos used by the U.S. Army. He is a veteran, right? I think it would be ok for him to use on of the military marks.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's Aachen Bold. Not exactly a custom font.

About as extraordinary as using Times New Roman.

I think that part's just coincidental at best.

No Way. His NAME is Hopkins and he used the same font as the school with the same name?? You really think that's a coincidence??

As for the star... it's true that it is a very classic five-pointed basic star.. but with the color and double outline, there's no question that's ripped right from the cowboys

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived