Minnesota Vikings Throwbacks

Joshawaggie

For those of you saying the helmet mismatched the jersey, well, the Vikes actually nailed it, thats how it was. They also had that problem well into the 90's, which is why they finally went to the metallic shell, which helped a lot.

Even now, it doesn't match perfectly.

In some conditions, it looks exactly like the jerseys. In others, not so much.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you saying the helmet mismatched the jersey, well, the Vikes actually nailed it, thats how it was. They also had that problem well into the 90's, which is why they finally went to the metallic shell, which helped a lot.

Very true, that always bothered me.

For the record, I also like the new unis, took some getting used to, but I'm thinking about getting my Peterson jersey soon. If I can find one. <_<

qvAvG.jpg

I like 'em, but I like the new horn better. Also, if the purples matched (helmet v.s. jersey), these would be my favorite. Oh wait, they already are.

Actually the Vikings got it right by mismatching the helmet and jersey, since they were mismatched from 1961 until 2005! B)

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

200eljc.png

There is so much that is so right with this jersey that don't know where to even begin to describe my love for it.

I will own one.

The only thing I would think that could improve on it would be yellow trim around the numbers.

Perfection in Purple - that's what that is.

Now, imagine for a moment if the GOLDEN :shocked: Gophers had the same striping pattern in maroon and white up their pants and around their sleeves on Saturday how much less ridiculous they would have looked. Still too much GOLD, but at least not in the Stratosphere of Stupidity like they were.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

An old Viking fan's opinion on how the Vikes should look, from head to toe, comparing the throwbacks with the modern uniforms:

Helmets: Either the old or new horn is fine, but two key things -- the purple must match the jersey and they must have purple facemasks. The gray facemasks look ugly.

Jerseys: The throwbacks are great, except the numbers should be outlined in gold. I would like to see a Viking Norseman logo in the middle of the sleeve stripes. And I'd like to see the sleeve stripes used on the road jerseys, just like the uniforms from the early '60s -- only with the Norseman logo.

Pants: The throwbacks are ideal. Just add purple pants for white jerseys.

Socks: I'd kind of like to see stripes.

Shoes: Vikings need to return to the white shoes.

I just wish we could go through an entire NFL season with teams wearing nothing but their REGULAR garb and ditch the overdone throwbacks for once.

Blah blah blah...throwbacks look great...blah blah blah...Football jerseys should have sleeves.....blah blah blah baseball players should show their damn stirrups.... (sorry, had to throw that one in there :) )

Teams need to pick ONE identity and roll with it. Enough of this "turn back the clock to when we were once good and didn't suck" jersey from 1842. Seems like lately there are more throwbacks worn then the current uniforms. If teams want to wear their 'classic' look then they should make it their REGULAR uniform and play the damn game.

Man....I need more coffee. :wacko:

If we could have uniformity - one home uniform, one road uniform - that's a tradeoff I'd make.

No alternate pants, no alternate jerseys, no mixing and matching, no patchworks. Keep it simple.

If teams want to wear their 'classic' look then they should make it their REGULAR uniform and play the damn game.

I'd extend it to baseball as well.

Toronto, Milwaukee, I'm looking at you. Just make the change, already. You blew it when you went away from the classic looks, so get off the fence and fix the problem properly.

It would have been awesome to see a vikings away throwback with the purple pants!

You'll see that the same day we get to see a throwback Tampa Bay Buccaneers set.

Which will be...uh...never.

(Or at least as long as that skeezer geezer malcom Glazer owns the Buccaneers. He hates the creamsicles with every once of marrow in his geriatric bones...the creamsicle I grew up under and cherish to this day.)

Sad part is more than half the team has been lobbying since at least 2002 to break those out for at least ONE game to honor the Buccaneer greats that came before them. (And yes, there WERE Buccaneer greats in the annals of NFL history, too!!! :cursing: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sorry, but the Bucs orange mess unis from back in the day should NEVER be worn again. Bad bad uniform design IMO. Not to mention that the helmet logo was horrible.

They went from worst to best helmet/uniform design....lets not revisit that awful era again.

Sorry, but the Bucs orange mess unis from back in the day should NEVER be worn again. Bad bad uniform design IMO. Not to mention that the helmet logo was horrible.

They went from worst to best helmet/uniform design....lets not revisit that awful era again.

It's the color arrangement, isn't it? ^_^

Yeah...orange next to red is a big-time clash, but growing up it was just so daggone beautiful to me, and maybe it's because I'm a native Floridian (read: I like vivrant color).

Funny thing is, if that red had been any other color it probably wouldn't be viewed as half as bad as those who despise the creamsicles see them as. (That make sense?)

But, of course...your team has one of the most consistent and best-looking sets in all of sports, period, so you were spoiled from jump anyways... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

As much as I love the new scheme, there is a case to be made for the original set.

It has been postulated on these boards (specifically in defense of the Padres' sand-gold road uniforms) that one key to a good uniform design is the eye's ability to instantly distinguish it on the field. Even out of the corner of your eye, you know who's who on the field.

By that criteria, the creamsicle Bucs had the best design in the NFL. :D

As much as I love the new scheme, there is a case to be made for the original set.

It has been postulated on these boards (specifically in defense of the Padres' sand-gold road uniforms) that one key to a good uniform design is the eye's ability to instantly distinguish it on the field. Even out of the corner of your eye, you know who's who on the field.

Thank you, my friend. ^_^

Thank you, my friend.

Oh boy....make sure you send him a Christmas card.

:P

I could be wrong, but wasn't the Bucs' original uniform darker with more red in it? I believe, It got lighter as the years went on. If they had darkened the orange and incorporated more of a maroon color, I think I'd be able to stomach the look. Regardless of what they could have done, I still prefer the current look far more than the 'throwback'.

Its funny too, I hate the old Bucs look but I don't mind the Tennessee Vols look. They're basically the same! I can't figure that one out so don't ask me why :)

Archived