2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

Wow, a lot of empty seats at the Red Wings' home opener tonight - and against the Ducks, no less!

My boys don't open their season until tomorrow night, but I'm just glad the season is underway in earnest again.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, almost everyone. In the prediction thread I picked the Sharks to take the #1 seed in the West but lose to Anaheim (whom I also picked to repeat as Cup winners) in the Conference Finals. :hockeysmiley:

CCSLC signature.png

Tough loss for the Leafs. I dont care what anyone says, Raycroft deserved to start and he played great. The Alfredson goal was weak but no goalie in the league would have stopped the OT winner by Heatly. It was a nice, quick release and it was ripped by him. Good start for Toronto, they didnt win but they gave Ottawa a scare and got 1 point.

Good opener for the Leafs for a team who hasn't played as a full unit all pre-season they did alright. A bit more pratice together and add Bell and Wellwood to the equation, and watch out Northeast Division.

Indeed. Wellwood can be the #2 center they need and Bell is a solid 20 goal winger. Nothing wrong with some healthy competition between Raycroft and Toskala...theyll push each other to get bbetter.

While I'd like to think the Leafs will do well this season, I just don't see it happening... I haven't been this disinterested in an NHL season in a long time.

Same here, just replace the Leafs with the Bruins...It's hard to get excited about a team run (into the ground) by Jeremy Jacobs. I want to be excited about the Bruins, but the organization doesn't care enough to put out a winner. They put together a team that they hope will simply contend - eigth place is absolutely fine with them. Egh...

I still have the Providence Bruins, though.

Wow, a lot of empty seats at the Red Wings' home opener tonight - and against the Ducks, no less!

My favorite part of ESPN's game report:

"But Detroit's opener drew just 17,610 fans -- far from a sellout.

Several upper-deck sections had empty rows and patches of seats in the lower bowl did not have fans in them, continuing a trend in a place that boasts it is Hockeytown."

On opening night against the Stanley Cup champions, who ousted your team from the playoffs last year?!

Hey, hey Hockeytown!!

I had season tickets to the Wings for 20 years (split with my bro and friends).

We dropped them this year.

Why?

Its like the "perfect storm" of factors coming together. Economics. Unemployment. The schedule. Ticket prices.

First of all, southeast Michigan is an economic mess. The unemployment rate here is terrible and the auto industry isn't doing so well. What does that mean? Well, I work in an area connected to automotive. The money and raises sure aren't coming. We are happy to just be working. A ton of tickets to Wings games, especially in the lower level, were owned by companies tied to the auto industry that now just can't afford it. And, at $70+ a seat down there, its not like all the unemployed persons around here can afford it to pick up the slack.

Secondly. We grew disgusted with the gouging of ticket prices at playoff time. We literally turned our playoff tickets back the past 5 years. We couldn't afford them. None of the games sold out in the playoffs last year.

Third. The schedule. Fans of the Wings have had it with the disgusting schedule. The Wings are one of only two teams in the West that are in the Eastern Time Zone. Road games, except for Columbus, are at 8:30-10:30pm. And add to that, the numerous visits from the ever-popular teams from Nashville and Columbus. We want Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, Buffalo! Word is, the league will expand to Vegas in 4 years (read Wing's owner Mike Ilitch's comments in the 10/3 edition of The Detroit News) and that Wings will then be put in the East. Yeah, 4 years off. Yay. I am not kidding when I say Wing fans cannot stand this schedule. Joe Louis Arena was basically sold out for a game against Toronto last week. Then, only 17k showed up (it looked more like 13-14k) against Anaheim.

Fourth. I sit 11 rows from the field at Comerica Park for Detroit Tiger games. I pay $17 a ticket. Heck, its $44 a ticket all the way up to the last four rows at Joe Louis. Ilitch owns both teams. He'll have to adjust.

Fifth. The Wings payroll was near $80 million. Now, with the cap, its in the $40's. Did they cut anything? No. To the contrary, they raised all the concessions.

I bought a few games from a buddy of mine (who is losing his house in this horrendous work/housing market) and love the Wings. You'll see open seats this year, not from a lack of love for the team, but for the lack of money. The Tigers are finally decent, and more affordable, and have captured this town's spare dollars.

Yeah Toronto surprised me a lot too after what everyone was saying about them, that it was gonna be another tough year for 'em...

They played great and deserved the point they got !

I don't think I have ever seen the blue and white DOMINATE the ice for 2/3s of the game. It was rediculous... and sad because they won't play that well again. Sigh.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived