2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

Wow, a lot of empty seats at the Red Wings' home opener tonight - and against the Ducks, no less!

I had season tickets to the Wings for 20 years (split with my bro and friends).

We dropped them this year.

Why?

Its like the "perfect storm" of factors coming together. Economics. Unemployment. The schedule. Ticket prices.

First of all, southeast Michigan is an economic mess. The unemployment rate here is terrible and the auto industry isn't doing so well. What does that mean? Well, I work in an area connected to automotive. The money and raises sure aren't coming. We are happy to just be working. A ton of tickets to Wings games, especially in the lower level, were owned by companies tied to the auto industry that now just can't afford it. And, at $70+ a seat down there, its not like all the unemployed persons around here can afford it to pick up the slack.

Secondly. We grew disgusted with the gouging of ticket prices at playoff time. We literally turned our playoff tickets back the past 5 years. We couldn't afford them. None of the games sold out in the playoffs last year.

Third. The schedule. Fans of the Wings have had it with the disgusting schedule. The Wings are one of only two teams in the West that are in the Eastern Time Zone. Road games, except for Columbus, are at 8:30-10:30pm. And add to that, the numerous visits from the ever-popular teams from Nashville and Columbus. We want Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, Buffalo! Word is, the league will expand to Vegas in 4 years (read Wing's owner Mike Ilitch's comments in the 10/3 edition of The Detroit News) and that Wings will then be put in the East. Yeah, 4 years off. Yay. I am not kidding when I say Wing fans cannot stand this schedule. Joe Louis Arena was basically sold out for a game against Toronto last week. Then, only 17k showed up (it looked more like 13-14k) against Anaheim.

Fourth. I sit 11 rows from the field at Comerica Park for Detroit Tiger games. I pay $17 a ticket. Heck, its $44 a ticket all the way up to the last four rows at Joe Louis. Ilitch owns both teams. He'll have to adjust.

Fifth. The Wings payroll was near $80 million. Now, with the cap, its in the $40's. Did they cut anything? No. To the contrary, they raised all the concessions.

I bought a few games from a buddy of mine (who is losing his house in this horrendous work/housing market) and love the Wings. You'll see open seats this year, not from a lack of love for the team, but for the lack of money. The Tigers are finally decent, and more affordable, and have captured this town's spare dollars.

I hate to see what the detroit economy will look like if when GM and Ford goes out of business in the next few years.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[re: Proc] The Red Wings becoming the new Blackhawks (in terms of driving away their fan base)? Yikes...

Speaking of the Hawks, right now I'm watching them against the Wild. The first period just ended with no score. Niklas Backstrom (not to be confused with the new Caps forward of the same name) is in midseason form in front of the net. Nothing really exciting to report yet, though there was an amusing incident late in the first. The Wild's Derek Boogaard tried to lay a big hit on Sergei Samsonov but Samsonov dodged him, sending Boogaard careening into the boards, where Adam Burish, a full foot shorter than Boogaard, started beating on him. I'll say this for Burish, he's got guts. Maybe more guts than brains.

Update: Boogaard in another knock-down-drag-out (gee, never saw that coming) vs. the Hawks' Koci early in the second period. Just like the old North Stars-Blackhawks games I remember from the '80s. I love it! The NHL really, really, really needs to put Minnesota and Chicago in the same division again.

Update #2: GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!! Brian Rolston and Eric Belanger set up Pierre-Marc Bouchard, who beats Burish and Khabibulin for the Wild's first goal of the season.

CCSLC signature.png

Leafs and Sens game tonight, it's always nice when the referee's decide who wins the game. I love it when there's under seven minutes left and they call non-stop penalties until the all-mighty Senators finally take the lead. Then suddenly all the little things slide.

It's funny how that works. :rolleyes:

On a nicer note, congrads to Mats Sundin who tied Darryl Sittler for the Leafs All-Time with goal 389, during the 2nd period.

Way to go Mats!

untitled-6.jpg

1-0 final from Minnesota; Backstrom opens the season with a shutout (which also helps my fantasy team, the Scorps).

Switching over to Sharks-Oilers. Good G*d, I hate those pointless pipes on the Oilers' new jerseys. I really like the Sharks' new look though. 2-1 "Pipers" with about 5 minutes gone in the 3rd.

CCSLC signature.png

Leafs and Sens game tonight, it's always nice when the referee's decide who wins the game. I love it when there's under seven minutes left and they call non-stop penalties until the all-mighty Senators finally take the lead. Then suddenly all the little things slide.

On a nicer note, congrads to Mats Sundin who tied Darryl Sittler for the Leafs All-Time with goal 389, during the 2nd period.

Way to go Mats!

Really? I thought the leafs had a whole lot of good oppurtunities to completely blow the sens, I have no idea for sure, but didn't the Senators get more penalties?

I'm surprised Ottawa beat you guys to be honest with you, I think the leafs played much better, much to the entire row of drunken' leafs fans :D

Drunk leafs fans = A great time at a hockey game... :P

Hi, how are you?

Way to go Mats!

Really? I thought the leafs had a whole lot of good oppurtunities to completely blow the sens, I have no idea for sure, but didn't the Senators get more penalties?

I'm surprised Ottawa beat you guys to be honest with you, I think the leafs played much better, much to the entire row of drunken' leafs fans :D

Drunk leafs fans = A great time at a hockey game... :P

The Sens may very well have had more penalties called on them, I'm not sure. The point I'm trying to make is with under 10 minutes left in the game, and the score 2-2 the teams need to decide who wins the game, rather then the refs. Sure the Leafs had chances and should've been able to put one is the fact remains though the refs woudln't just let the players decide the game 5 on 5, rather the Sens who had both a 5 on 3, and 5 on 4 chances with less then 7 minutes left.

So it's not just this game and it's end result, it's what the NHL in genral has become. We need to let plaeyrs win or lose the game, the offcial to jeopardize it for them.

untitled-6.jpg

The Sens may very well have had more penalties called on them, I'm not sure. The point I'm trying to make is with under 10 minutes left in the game, and the score 2-2 the teams need to decide who wins the game, rather then the refs. Sure the Leafs had chances and should've been able to put one is the fact remains though the refs woudln't just let the players decide the game 5 on 5, rather the Sens who had both a 5 on 3, and 5 on 4 chances with less then 7 minutes left.

So it's not just this game and it's end result, it's what the NHL in genral has become. We need to let plaeyrs win or lose the game, the offcial to jeopardize it for them.

Had it been the other way around, you wouldn't be complaining....

The same penalties that get called in the first period should get called in the third period, end of story.

GREAT HNIC debut.

Entertaining classic battle between the Habs and the Leafs that ends with an OT winner.

Then a western rivalry between the Flames and the Canucks, with Sedin ending it in OT with 5 seconds to go.

Whew!

Great day of hockey. (And college football.)

The Blackhawks won their home opener against the Wings last night. Patrick Kane got his first NHL point, and won the game with the only shoot-out goal. Also, Havlat is out indefinately from an injured shoulder Thursday.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Blackhawks won their home opener against the Wings last night. Patrick Kane got his first NHL point, and won the game with the only shoot-out goal. Also, Havlat is out indefinately from an injured shoulder Thursday.

Havlat out, now there's a shocker.

How 'bout them young guns in Edmonton? Maybe, just maybe, Dustin Penner was worth what Lowe gave him? I hope so, never before had I seen such teeth-gnashing at a completely legal and justifiable signing.

Today's paper says that "Ottawa a perfect 5-0"... and my first thought was, "holy crap... they've played 5 games already?" There are 4 teams that only have 2 played.

Well, before tonight's games, only Buffalo played 2 games. Anaheim has already played six games.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived