10 Worst School Mascots... Ever

Waleslax

Here is the list

1. The Anteaters (UCI): Such an honorable and brave animal. Everyone should want to be an anteater.

2. The Bananaslugs (UCSC): Does anyone even know what a Bananaslug IS?

3. Crimson (Harvard): ? that?s like, a color, right?

4. The Fighting Artichokes (Scottsdale Arizona Community College): As if they weren?t already feeling down that they are at a community college; they had to make their mascot a fighting VEGETABLE?

5. Hawaii Rainbow Warrior (Hawaii): This one goes without explanation. We know Hawaii has lots of rainbows, but rainbows aren?t for beating and winning! They are for leprechauns and Care Bears.

6. Beavers (Oregon State): Come on, bite that wood!

7. Violets (NYU): What?s with all the smarty pants and their colors? Harvard Crimson and NYU Violets? Are these people too busy studying to pick out a tangible mascot?

8. Volunteers (University of Tennessee): While it?s honorable, it?s also lame.

9. Lord Jeffs (Amherst): Yes, we thought it was a joke too. Amherst has the oldest athletic program in the nation. Doesn?t that mean they could have picked the COOLEST mascot because no one else had one yet? And they picked the Lord Jeffs. Tragic.

10. Mule Riders (Southern Arkansas): We weren?t even aware that people still rode mules. Do they? In Southern Arkansas, maybe.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

holy :censored:, what an idiot that guy is, bashing on the Harvard, UC Santa Cruz and Hawaii? how about doing some research first. "Thats like a color right?" what is he trying to appeal to 13 year old Dane Cook fans? come on!

I was half expecting for him to come up with the old "shouldnt it be Jeves and not Jeffs since it is plural? drrrrrrr" joke.

14ilxq9.png

Mule Riders is a cool name! IMO - how about teams like the Poets? Pensmen? Pioneers? Nobel titles!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Bashing Harvard, Tennessee and Oregon State? This list is ignorant of any tradition or history.

I especially resent inclusion of Tennessee. The Volunteers is far from a bad mascot - it's a wonderful one. The state of Tennessee had more volunteer soldiers in the War of 1812 than any other state in the union. The state got its nickname, 'The Volunteer State' from that effort and it stuck to the university, as well.

4. The Fighting Artichokes (Scottsdale Arizona Community College): As if they weren?t already feeling down that they are at a community college; they had to make their mascot a fighting VEGETABLE?

He he he...I go to rival Mesa Community College. It's nice to see Scottsdale gets its due. :P

Edit: MCC (Mesa Community College) is called the Thunderbirds.

What exactly is wrong with a county or community college?

Oh yeah, and the link to this article doesn't work and apparently it is from teens.aol.com or something. So I doubt anyone should take it seriously.

TeEnYbOpPeRzzzzz RULZZZ!!!!1one

Mule Riders is a cool name! IMO - how about teams like the Poets? Pensmen? Pioneers? Nobel titles!

My high school was the Pioneers...consider yourself ignored. (only kidding) :P

Actually, my high school was supposed to be the Lambs, but our old(he's like 90 and he still subs) gym teacher suggested Pioneers. I think Lambs would've been sweet, personally. Our hockey jerseys would've been great.

As for the list, what's wrong with Beavers, exactly? Heck, I don't mind Anteaters or Crimson either. Plus, does this guy realize Hawaii's not the rainbows anymore?

Plus, does this guy realize Hawaii's not the rainbows anymore?

Actually, they are. But it depends on the sport.

The Football Team is the Warriors.

The Baseball Team is the Rainbows.

The Basketball Team is the Rainbow Warriors.

All Female Sports are the Rainbow Wahine. Basically translates to Female Warrior.

And if I remember right, the UCSC Banana Slug issue went to a student vote. The administration tried to change it, and the Student Body went nuts.

Oh yeah, and the link to this article doesn't work and apparently it is from teens.aol.com or something. So I doubt anyone should take it seriously.

The "teens.aol.com" part said all I needed to know. These lists are always completely subjective and include at least one name that shows the writer has no clue, but this list failed to meet even that minimal level of credibility.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I thought this was going to be about mascots, not nicknames. By thee way, I still think the silliest mascot is Stanford's tree. I mean... it's a tree.

That's because Palo Alto (the town Stanford is in) is Spanish for "tall tree."

I think it's a clever way of getting around the fact that their mascot is a color.

from wikipedia:

UCSC's mascot is the banana slug (specifically, Ariolimax dolichophallus). In 1981, when the university began participating in NCAA intercollegiate sports, the then-chancellor and some student athletes declared the mascot to be the "sea lions." Most students disliked the new mascot and offered an alternative mascot, the banana slug. In 1986, students voted via referendum to declare the banana slug the official mascot of UCSC?a vote the chancellor refused to honor, arguing that only athletes should choose the mascot. When a poll of athletes showed that they, too, wanted to be "Slugs," the chancellor relented. A sea lion statue can still be seen in front of the Thimann Hall lecture building, and a sea lion is still painted on the floor of the basketball court used for league play.[43]

This guy hasn't seen the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, home of the St. John's Johnnies, Gustavus Adolphus Gusties, Augsburg Auggies, St. Olaf Oles, etc. Heck, in the MIAC, the Concordia Cobbers is a clever nickname.

Archived