Another Try at a Chiefs Concept

Chief.

I decided to go back and try my hand at my favorite team's uniforms. Basically, I wanted to keep it simple. Using a new number font, I tried a double outline to match the new sleeve and pants stripes (which are in the style of the current road pants). The helmet stays the same.

ChiefsUniforms-1.png

Now, as for the logo on the pants, I took the old cartoon logo and modernized the head of the chief. I smoothed everything out, touched up the face, and here's the result.

ChiefsAltlogo.png

Let me know what you think.

I think you're off to a good start. A few things could be improved, though.

I would lose the feathers in front of the face. They don't work unless the whole body is visible. In fact, I would go back and make all the feathers look a lot more like feathers.

Also, I would look for a number font that's more "Chief-y." Rounded numbers aren't right for this concept. I think something that's more square and/or jagged would work better.

Pretty good concept. I do have a few suggestions. As said before, make the feathers look like feathers. Also, add in a band where the headrest starts. The original had one, and without one it kinda just looks like hair. I think I can accept the number font. With the red pants, lose the red socks. Make them white with the stripes. Otherwise, this is awesome.

Thanks for the responses. I'm working on the uniform. The reason I didn't go with more of a tribal or jagged font is because I'd rather this look more professional rather than have an arena or XFL look to it. As for the logo, the feathers make a world of difference:

Chiefslogo2a.png

why is the helmet red and balck

but the uniforms red and yellow?

Lamar Hunt originally designed the logo in the 60's, inspired by the 49ers interlocking letters. It has been proven time and time again that adding yellow to the logo throws off the balance completely. The helmet looks so clear and the logo defined with the subtle use of black. Black on the uniforms takes away from the prominent red and white (with only a little bit of yellow), the bright and vibrant duo of these two colors ignites the atmosphere of their home games (Arrowhead Stadium is called the "Sea of Red"). You hardly notice the black anyway.

te4_TonyGonzalez2006-200.jpg

Or they could just look like the Cardinals...

The updated logo looks much better, but you still have to get rid of the small feathers in front of the face. It looks like snot coming out of the guy's nose. Without the shoulders, you definitely can't have those feathers there. I would also work on improving the facial features.

Regarding the font, I'm not suggesting anything too jagged or XFLish. I just don't think that rounded numbers suit the Chiefs. I would rather see them keep the block font than use rounded numbers. Ideally, I think they should use a slight variation of traditional block font.

The updated logo looks much better, but you still have to get rid of the small feathers in front of the face. It looks like snot coming out of the guy's nose. Without the shoulders, you definitely can't have those feathers there. I would also work on improving the facial features.

Regarding the font, I'm not suggesting anything too jagged or XFLish. I just don't think that rounded numbers suit the Chiefs. I would rather see them keep the block font than use rounded numbers. Ideally, I think they should use a slight variation of traditional block font.

My thoughts are basically the same. GREAT update though.

Wow, kid. Good stuff, here.

SUSTAINMENTS/LIKES:

-Use of color. Red and yellow is about the most underutilized color combo in all of sports short of anything involving green, and I love them together. Your use of the Chiefs' colors in this concept is especially appealing.

-The concept as a whole is very nice, very clean, looks like the current set, only just a bit mo' fresher.

-That Chief head logo is looking rather good. If the Chiefs were to ever adapt a secondary logo, I think something like that would work nicely, PC purists be damned. :D

IMPROVEMENTS/DISLIKES:

-The white-over-red set would really benefit from some white socks rather than the red ones you have here.

-This one ain't really your fault, but the fact that the helmet includes not even a trace of yellow really kinda bugs me when paired with the rest of the uniform. Just a personal gripe.

-For some reason, I really don't think the logo really needs to be on the hips. The set overall is simple but effective; adding that chief head logo actually kinda throws the set off balance for me just a little bit.

RECCOMENDATIONS:

-I really don't see why it'd hurt to add just a tiny little bit of a yellow outline around that arrowhead on the logo. If anything, it may actually make that arrowhead pop out off that helmet a little bit more.

-Keep going with the decelopment of the chief's head logo. I want to see where that goes.

-Continue the good work there, young homie!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The logo is fairly good, except for the face. That needs a lot of improvement. I read that little explanation up there and couldn't disagree more: 1. I don't see how it's been proven that you cannot add yellow to the helmet without degrading the balance or whatever that jibberjabber was, and 2. I don't see how adding one black outline to the numbers and/or stripes would jeopardize the prominence of the red and white. From a technical standpoint, a black outline would add a clarity and definition to the numbers, a quality that you've stated is already present in the logo because of a black outline. Also, you don't need a tribal font or some other nonsense, just some sort of block number will be awesome.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The logo is fairly good, except for the face. That needs a lot of improvement. I read that little explanation up there and couldn't disagree more: 1. I don't see how it's been proven that you cannot add yellow to the helmet without degrading the balance or whatever that jibberjabber was, and 2. I don't see how adding one black outline to the numbers and/or stripes would jeopardize the prominence of the red and white. From a technical standpoint, a black outline would add a clarity and definition to the numbers, a quality that you've stated is already present in the logo because of a black outline. Also, you don't need a tribal font or some other nonsense, just some sort of block number will be awesome.

Yes, it was mostly jibberjabber :P I'm a purist, I guess. I see what your saying, so I experimented a bit with just the helmet. I don't want to add black to the uniform just because it's been done so many times. Instead, I tweaked the colors and outlines of the arrowhead and added yellow as you suggested.

ChiefsHelmet.png

I'll be honest, while your arrowhead certainly looks passable, I prefer their's. As far as black in the uniform, you can totally have the black outline on the helmet, and no black in the uniform. There's no law that says every color in a logo must be present in the uniform color scheme.

the only thing that always bothered me is that if you saw the chiefs helmet

you would have no idea their colors are red and yellow

maybe add yellow to the helmet somewhere

i like the red/yellow helmet version shown here

Archived