redskins

scraw28

A tribute idea I have is: Becauce Sean Taylor and Clinton Portis were good friends, it would be cool if Portis wore a #21 jersey with Sean Taylor's name on the back for the Redskins' next game. It is classy and I think the NFL would let it happen.

I've heard that will happen.

The entire league is puting decals on the helmets.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The entire league is puting decals on the helmets.

OK, I have to ask why? As much as I liked Sean Taylor and as much as it was a tragedy what happened, I don't see why the entire league should do this. They didn't do it for Darrent Williams or any of the other players that died recently. Why is this any different? Because Sean was a Pro Bowl player? It shouldn't matter.

Wow.

If true, that's a terrible idea.

Suppose the rumors are true, and this is a result of his past? We all know that he was putting it behind him, but premilinary reports are that he was targeted, not the victim of random violence. If he was in any way responsible for his death, memorializing him league-wide on uniforms is abhorrent. Why rush to judgment, when that is a real possibility?

Besides, as you note, where will that end? Shall we have every team wearing a patch in honor of players who die in car crashes? Who have congenital heart defects and die in their sleep?

A tragedy for Washington, yes. But let it end there. Let them mourn their comrade in peace without foisting it on the rest of the League.

Besides, as you note, where will that end? Shall we have every team wearing a patch in honor of players who die in car crashes? Who have congenital heart defects and die in their sleep?

I agree.

Non-Washington players wanting to pay tribute could utilize Paul Lukas' idea of candy-striped socks or some other stripe-driven tribute. The NFL could donate the fines to an organization that helps reduce gun violence.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

A tribute idea I have is: Becauce Sean Taylor and Clinton Portis were good friends, it would be cool if Portis wore a #21 jersey with Sean Taylor's name on the back for the Redskins' next game. It is classy and I think the NFL would let it happen.

I've heard that will happen.

That would be a nice gesture, but I have my doubts about the NFL allowing Portis to play with Taylor's name on his jersey (though he could presumably use the number without a problem). Remember, this is the same league that wouldn't let Peyton Manning wear black hightops when Johnny Unitas died.

EDIT: As for the striped sock idea, I'd like to see that if for no other reason than to see Randy Moss in candy-striped socks, a la his days at Marshall -- and to see if Gene Washington's head explodes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The entire league wearing something to commemorate Sean Taylor seems like a bit much to me as well. A moment of silence before each game this weekend might be a bit more appropriate.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The NFL could donate the fines to an organization that helps reduce gun violence.

What, in honor of Taylor's multiple fines for dirty play and general misconduct?

I swear to God, do you know what tact is?

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

The NFL could donate the fines to an organization that helps reduce gun violence.

What, in honor of Taylor's multiple fines for dirty play and general misconduct?

I swear to God, do you know what tact is?

Hey, upon first glancing at the suggestion of donating fines, that's the direction I thought the poster was going. I'm sorry, but there's a joke in there somewhere, like it or not. The guy racked up more than a couple fines. It's part of his legacy, it's a lot of what he's known for.

No, in honor of his fines for uniform violations.

For those who are unfamiliar, Taylor was pretty much the poster boy for messing with his uniform striping. He layered his socks and even taped his facemask to make it striped.

p1_taylor.jpg

Thanks for posting that. As ridiculous as that layered-sock thing is, the stripe pattern is freakin' awesome. If the Skins built a new uniform from the ground up, starting with the socks and designing the rest of the uniform to match, they'd almost certainly have one of the best football uniforms of all time. Throw on either of the team's better previous helmets -- the feather or the spear -- and, man, that would be a great way to make the team's tribute permanent. Seventy years ago, if a star player known for his distinctive taste in uniform hosiery were gunned down during his prime, the team absolutely would have adopted his socks permanently as part of its identity. And I really think that this situation calls for that kind of a response, not just another set of black numbers for a few games and nothing really lasting.

20082614447.png

Seventy years ago, if a star player known for his distinctive taste in uniform hosiery were gunned down during his prime, the team absolutely would have adopted his socks permanently as part of its identity. And I really think that this situation calls for that kind of a response, not just another set of black numbers for a few games and nothing really lasting.

Can't agree with you at all.

Especially if it turns out that he was killed in retribution for his own actions in the past, as might be the case.

Seventy years ago, if a star player known for his distinctive taste in uniform hosiery were gunned down during his prime, the team absolutely would have adopted his socks permanently as part of its identity. And I really think that this situation calls for that kind of a response, not just another set of black numbers for a few games and nothing really lasting.

Can't agree with you at all.

Especially if it turns out that he was killed in retribution for his own actions in the past, as might be the case.

If it was in fact someone from his past, yet he's distanced himself from that life, then while he is responsible for his mistakes back then, he still did not deserve to die now, once he has turned his life around. However, if he is either still in or reverted back to his previous ways, while depending on what he did, he may not have deserved to die, but is somewhat responsible based on his actions.

(Reading what I just wrote, it is very confusing and I hope others can understand what I'm trying to say because it would take me too long to even attempt to try and translate that into a less confusing statement.)

I will never argue that he "deserved to die." Never.

But neither should he be lionized for dying young, if that was the result of his own behavior. If he was a drunk driver who went off the highway at 150mph while hopped up on Jim Beam, nobody would seriously suggest permanently modifying a team's uniform to remember him.

Let's wait and see before we start too many tributes. The Redskins ought to remember him for a game or even the rest of the season, for his contributions to the team. And it should end there.

Then again, the Browns still wear that silly AL patch, so there's a precedent for inappropriate over-the-top uniform tributes.

Archived